Longtime Lurker Anxious for Opinions

MellieC

Earning My Ears
Anxious enough that I actually made 10 test posts, found a pic and secured an avatar! I know, I know. Where's my blankety-blank cookie. Anyway, I've been living here in Lurkerville for at least 5+ years but have spent enough time on the boards that I feel as if I know many of you. Not creepy at all, right? Chalk it up to a high level of introvertedness (introvertism?) and the fact that the Dis is my internet equivalent of a big ole bowl of mac and cheese. Internet comfort food, passively consumed. My husband introduced me to Disney when we were seniors in college. Spring Break 1998. Those were the days. When Tower of Terror was a 10 minute wait in March. When two broke college kids could afford park tickets. When we were footloose, fancy-free and had no idea there were cameras on the dark rides. Fast forward nearly 20 years and two kids of our own and we still love Disney. We took a couple of adult trips before they came along. Our son has been a few times and our daughter once (most recent trip was last December) This brings me to the opinion part. We rarely go out without the children on date nights, let alone overnight trips. In fact, I've only been away from my daughter once and my son twice. We have decided for the sake of our sanity to take a quick getaway (3 nights) to Disney. This will likely be our one and only trip of this nature. There is no one on my side of the family capable of any form of childcare and - as we are older parents - this is asking a lot of my in-laws. Basically, I doubt there will be another parents only trip until the kids are grown. So, 10-15 years. Not that I'm putting any pressure on the trip. Not me with my Type-A, must plan everything, 0 or 10 personality. You probably read the sarcasm here. So help me wise ones of the Disboards. I have our 3 FP booked per day with park hoppers and one ADR. We're going the first week of February, scheduled to land around 8am. So arrival day will be a mostly full day. Then, there's two full days with a later flight out on Day 4. Previous trips have always been commando but I know one of the joys of parent only trips is just taking time to slow down and smell the roses. Realizing there is no way we will even scratch the surface of everything we want to see or do.. is there some kind of middle ground? Should we rope drop to close and just come home exhausted? Should we go slow and possibly regret later that we didn't ride as many rides as possible together (which we haven't been able to do in at least 6 years)? Is anyone able to weigh in who has done something similar? I thought about posting this in Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers, but that's heavy on the solo and kind of light on the parent-only posts. Most of the ones I've seen are from folks like us with no advice to offer. If you made it this far, thanks for reading!!! And even if you didn't, thanks to all who make these boards what they are. They've carried me through more than one dark day :)

There's definitely a middle ground between stop and smell the roses and commando style.

I think for a couples trip - plan which days you are hitting which parks, know which days/parks have EMH and the hours of the parks in general, plan one TS meal per day - including one nicer one for the "dinner date" feel, and book your three FP's in the afternoon (but not during the MK parade!).

Then - play it by ear! That's what we do when I travel as a couple (I do alot of solo, too). We have our "guide" in mind - ie - which park which day, our 3 FP's, and then our one meal. See how you feel.

As a couple - if one of you doesn't get any sleep - you can call it quits early or sleep late the next morning. If one of you has had enough of the crowds - you head off to the resort to relax or maybe go to Disney Springs. If you are having a great park day with beautiful weather and ride lines aren't bad - you may be there until the park closes. If its raining and not going to stop - we head to our hotel room. If its beautiful weather but the lines stink or one of us is grumpy - we might find a bar, get a drink, and chill out.

The key is this - for couple trips - it's about US - it's what we feel like as a couple that day. Now - we are pretty good about listening to each other's needs while on vacation - so this works well for us. Now - sometimes that means me - the one who plans more - has to point one some potential plans, park hours, meal times - to make sure the one of us who never thinks about those things keeps those ideas in mind as we make decisions - but we make it happen. You won't have kids or other family to make happy - so remember its about the two of you enjoying the time you spend together.

I vote - Relax!

I know you say you're a commando-type traveler, but one of the fantastic things about an adults-only trip is getting to spend time ALONE in a hotel room with your sweetie. No kids. No interruptions. No one rattling the doorknob of your bedroom.

When I travel alone with my husband, we like to arrange our days like this...

Morning - up early, breakfast in our room (we bring instant cereal and/or breakfast bars), and off to ropedrop the parks with a mug of coffee or hot chocolate in hands.

After lunch - back to our resort for a "nap", followed by an actual nap. ;)

Afternoon - head back out to the parks. Have dinner, take in the evening shows.

Park close - back to the resort with mugs of hot cocoa, do whatever, Skype the family and tuck into bed early.

Rinse, repeat.

I've never regretted that we didn't "ride as many rides as possible together". When we travel with each other, the point of the trip isn't making sure we see and do everything there is to do in the parks. It's to spend time with each other, as a couple. It's our chance to focus on each other, instead of on the kids. It's date-night!

Explore the resorts. Walk together around the world showcase hand-in-hand. Ride the peoplemover, snuggled up together. Remember why you married this person!

I would prioritize the rides & would not go from open to close. Pick the rides that mean the most to both of you & don’t stress about what you didn’t get to ride. Also, I think you should add a little romantic time for the two of you. It could be something as simple as taking one night to just walk hand in hand around the world showcase sampling drinks & food. Enjoy your time together without children, even if that means missing some of the rides, etc. it’s the time you’ll spend together that will mean the most & give you the best memories.

We have made many adults only trips and love them. We did annual trips with my daughter as she was growing up and now she and I do an annual trip together ... just us "girls" and we have a ball! I will admit that there is some misbehaving here and there but nothing that we can't admit to or post on Instagram!

My advice is forget the commando stuff ... save that for trips with the kids! We traditionally get to the parks first thing in the morning (rope drop) and schedule our FP's starting late morning. We do what we can walking on then enjoy our FP rides then we generally leave the park for a break about lunchtime. We return to a park in the evening ... usually a different one than the morning ... and just enjoy being there withoug worring about fast passes. The evening park is generally one with adult beverages so there is that!

Just FYI ... because my daughter is a teacher we are bound by the school schedule so our Disney trips are almost always either Christmas Week or Spring Break ... very busy times ... but we always have a great time! This year she promised her boyfriend Spring Break (the nerve!) so we will be there President's Day weekend instead ... also a busy busy time.

Have fun

Fellow introvert here, and long-time lurker myself. Welcome! Glad you came out of the shadows. :wave:

Where are you staying on your trip? Will it be easy to take a midday break? How interested are you in seeing other resorts? At that time of year, it'll probably be kind of chilly for swimming. I guess I'm trying to gauge how much interest you have in non-park activities...

Honestly, for a trip of that length--and under your circumstances--I'd be tempted to do as much as I could. That being said, are you and your husband on the same page as far as enthusiasm and energy goes? I know my husband needs a midday break or Disney's no fun for him. Whereas I could go from sunup to sundown, no problem.

If you're a planner, then maybe you could make a list of attractions that are 1)must-dos, 2)would-like-to-dos, and 3)only-if-there's-time. That first week of February should be good for crowds, unless I'm missing something, so you might get more done than you think. Then you'll be able to really relax. Speaking for myself, it's fine to talk about "slowing down and smelling the roses," but if there's something I still want to do out there . . . well, I want to go do it.

Remember that outside of Flight of Passage, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, you'll probably be able to switch up your FPs while there, if you need to shift your park days around. In that way, you can keep things open and flexible.

It might be nice to spend a longer period of time in World Showcase, since it's just you guys. I always feel like we have to rush through that area a little because our kids aren't as interested. Maybe make an ADR for Spice Road Table or Rose & Crown 90 minutes before Illuminations starts, so you can watch the fireworks after eating. That would be romantic.

I hope you have a great time! It sounds like this trip has been a long time coming. :lovestruc

Last edited:
A couple things in your favor: That week is lower crowds, cooler weather, shorter park hours. Since you won't be battling the heat and humidity, going all day is much easier on the body. Those shorter park hours also make that easier. Lower crowds means you aren't putting up with as much congestion. I think you'll be fine staying in the parks open to close. With at least one ADR a day to sit down, relax, and regroup, you should be good to go.

We're going the first week of February

We get back home just as you are arriving. Quiet time of the year- for the most part. Depends on your lifestyle. We travel as a couple these days- kids are grown- and we dawdle and go at a relaxed pace. That said, we live close by and can go over when we want. We are early risers, so usually do RD and get a bunch of the good stuff out of the way long before most people arrive, then do a leisurely lunch- and go from there. When we are onsite, we go back to the resort to relax/nap/etc. then go back for nighttime shows most of the time. Sometimes, we just stop for the day since if you do RD you can get most everything done on the 'must do' list easily before noon or shortly after. If we are offsite, we will often park hop to whatever park had EMH the day before (since it is usually a slower day there) and just enjoy the atmosphere. Maybe do a few things- maybe not. We got back around a week ago, and spent a good part of the later afternoons in the shade reading or people watching. We also like to go to DD to eat- not really big shoppers, but when there we will stroll through some of the stores as well. If we were going for a short trip after not visiting for a while like you are, if I was being honest with myself, we would probably go until it became apparent that we needed a break- take a break- then go some more :) Go with whatever feels right to you.

Thank you all for the great input!! My quote skills are non-existent (although I really thought I had it!). But special thanks for this advice...

***You won't have kids or other family to make happy - so remember its about the two of you enjoying the time you spend together.

***When we travel with each other, the point of the trip isn't making sure we see and do everything there is to do in the parks. It's to spend time with each other, as a couple. It's our chance to focus on each other, instead of on the kids. It's date-night!

***It might be nice to spend a longer period of time in World Showcase, since it's just you guys.

***With at least one ADR a day to sit down, relax, and regroup, you should be good to go.

We are early risers, so usually do RD and get a bunch of the good stuff out of the way long before most people arrive, then do a leisurely lunch- and go from there.

We're staying at POR. It's our favorite (read: only one we've stayed at) resort. We had hoped to try something new but Deluxes are out of our price range, Caribbean Beach isn't our style. We booked Coronado but then got cold feet about the construction. It would have been fun to try something different but mainly, I wanted to avoid POR because I was afraid we'd miss the children too much. Honestly, I'll miss them wherever we are (hopefully for just a bit.. knowing they're living it up with Nana and Papa!) and we can skip the learning curve at POR. Plus, we really love it there. Our one ADR is at California Grill. We would never go there with the kids, so it's definitely a special treat!

Otherwise, I think we are going to try to hit the middle. Probably rope drop (I work a morning shift and have a hard time sleeping in. Husband is naturally an early-sh riser) to lunch. Break if we need it and then back to wander around to close. World Showcase is my must. I *will* see the inside of the shops without worrying about grabby hands and breakable doo-dollies (as my MIL would call them). Husband had to skip out on SW fireworks last time because of meltdown (ours not theirs)... so I really want a re-do for him :)

Thanks again everybody!

POR is so beautiful. I've never stayed there, but it has a lovely ambiance that is perfect for couples. If you wanted to try anything new at the resort, there's always a carriage ride or seeing Yeeha Bob.

Have a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll miss the kids, but you deserve this time to yourselves. :earsgirl::earsboy:

First of all relax you are going on vacation and do not want to be on the go at all times.
Second you already know that you are not going to be able to do it all.
Why not go off the board and do something that you would not do with the kids:
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

I will be there solo the same week. A suggestion from my many trips is to combine the commando and relaxing touring. I normally do rope drop at whatever park I go to that day and pretty much FP+ and commando tour until lunch. Maybe one or two more attractions after lunch and then off to world showcase for a relaxed afternoon and evening grabbing an adult beverage and watching the live entertainment groups in the countries. During your trip there will also be food booths open in World Showcase.

As a side tip, usually the best way to get from another park to WS is to take a bus to Beach Club and enter Epcot through International Gateway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter