"Look at all these sunny balls!" - WDW/Uni TR Feb 17-26th 2018 (6/18 Wrap-up and DVC review)

Pretty amazing how you got the same number of rides in your first few hours at MK as you did in all the other days of your trip so far!! I'm so bummed about the loss of the train station show. We were listening to the music last night and it brought tears to my eyes to think we'll never see that again!

A break at the pool was definitely well deserved after that hike around MK!

Pretty amazing how you got the same number of rides in your first few hours at MK as you did in all the other days of your trip so far!! I'm so bummed about the loss of the train station show. We were listening to the music last night and it brought tears to my eyes to think we'll never see that again!

A break at the pool was definitely well deserved after that hike around MK!

I can't say I miss it THAT much, but I just found it very charming. I loved all the rope drop shows, and honestly the way they've dismantled them is one of my least favorite things of the last few years. It made you feel special that you got there early. The problem with the show now at the castle is that if you are trying to get to a ride ahead of the crowds, you can't really see it.

I can't say I miss it THAT much, but I just found it very charming. I loved all the rope drop shows, and honestly the way they've dismantled them is one of my least favorite things of the last few years. It made you feel special that you got there early. The problem with the show now at the castle is that if you are trying to get to a ride ahead of the crowds, you can't really see it.

I’m a sap. The song made me cry before the show went away too lol

Day 9 – Our last full day and I would say I was not ready for the end. The Universal part seemed so far away, but it made the Disney part too short. (Only really 6 FULL days.) We had gotten up super early, and I allowed the family a little rest-in today even against my better judgement. We had gotten so much done in MK the day before that we weren’t really feeling the pressure to get another rope drop in. In the end, we left for the park. I just did a quick tally – this was our 21st boat ride of the trip, with our bus rides numbering only five so far. (Two round trips to AK, one 1-way from Epcot to WL.) That’s pretty amazing when you think of it. I have a phobia of boats, but I can usually tamp it down deep inside and not think about it too much – so most of the trips were pretty enjoyable. The boat ride across 7 seas lagoon is always a highlight!

DSC06187
DSC06188
DSC06189
DSC06190

Another nice thing about arriving by boat is that the security bubble is at the dock. So you are no longer fighting a big crowd for the security check. Once through security, we got on our first ride of the day –the Walt Disney World Railroad!

IMG_20180225_102607003

We had our fastpasses lined up for this morning to start at 10 AM, and the first one was BTMRR. So that was ride #2.

DSC06191
DSC06192

Before our second fastpass we decided to give Pirates a third run. This was the LAST day of the redhead, and I was expecting long lines, but early in the day there was little backup. I know a lot of bloggers were over that night, but for now the line was short. We also got our pictures taken before the ride:

I was surprised DD went along with this one!

Bye bye selling women into slavery!!

Thank goodness they at least still allow pirates to burn down cities!

This time we were ready to do our best pirate impressions.

Before our next FP, we all needed a snack. 9 days in and no Mickey Bars yet? Gotta fix that!

Next up we headed here – everyone knows where this is right?

DSC06193

Yup, that’s the liberty tree. See those lamps? Disney trivia – each lamp represents one of the 13 original colonies. And where there’s a Liberty Tree, what do you find? Muppets, of course!

DSC06194

This show really works for me. It makes me so wish they could get a Muppets TV show that works. My only complaint is we always seem to catch the same show – the Paul Revere one. It’s great but I presume there are more than one of them.

Next up is our second FP and our 4th ride – Haunted Mansion! Can’t go wrong here.

DSC06195
DSC06196

We ended up waiting long enough on this ride that by the time we got out it was almost time for our third FP. So we headed across the hub.

DSC06199
DSC06201

Wouldn’t you know it, move it, shake it, celebrate it!

DSC06200

A lot of people complain about this – but it’s fine by me. The kids and parents were dancing around and the area was uncrowded enough that we could easily get by.
Third Fastpass!

DW and DD rode together, and I rode by myself.

DSC06202

I took this picture because when I turned behind me going into the tunnel, I realized there were like 6 cars in a row behind me with no people in them. I am not sure how this happened.

DSC06203

I was able to hit a couple of the big point targets – and racked up a pretty decent score.

DSC06205

We were getting pretty hungry at this point, and while it’s not a favorite of ours, we do enjoy There was a lot of construction going on inside, and only two of the food bays was open, but we were finally able to find a seat. Here’s our food, hot dog, hamburger, chicken. All are decent enough offerings, though nothing to write home about.

DSC06206
We don’t have a lot of what I would call “Disney traditions” but we always like to ride the peoplemover as a family towards the end of our trip and videotape everyone’s comments about the trip. This trip was no exception and here we are.

DSC06208
DSC06209

This was the end of our MK day, we took the boat back to the resort for some more relaxing, a little bit of packing, and to finalize our plans for the evening.

Next time - where do we go that's completely unplanned! :scared1:

Why would anyone judge you for Phillharmagic? It's one of my favorites, too! 1. Air conditioner. 2. Awesome show. 3. It's 3-D. 4. The champagne pops at you. What's not to love?

Why would anyone judge you for Phillharmagic? It's one of my favorites, too! 1. Air conditioner. 2. Awesome show. 3. It's 3-D. 4. The champagne pops at you. What's not to love?

Our DD hates the 3D movies, and i think those champagne corks are why! I love this one, especially the Ariel and lion king and Aladdin scenes. Such a great show!

That's a pretty great last day in MK. So many favorites! I love that you end with the People Mover. It's definitely one of my favorites so I'll get on as many times as I can in a trip, but it really would make a great final ride.

I've still never seen any of the Muppets shows in Liberty Square, so that's on my list to do next trip. I totally agree with you on the TV show. I thought the first few episodes of the most recent show were pretty funny but then it got pretty lame before it got cancelled.

Another fun day!

When isn't it fun at Disney World!

That's a pretty great last day in MK. So many favorites! I love that you end with the People Mover. It's definitely one of my favorites so I'll get on as many times as I can in a trip, but it really would make a great final ride.

I've still never seen any of the Muppets shows in Liberty Square, so that's on my list to do next trip. I totally agree with you on the TV show. I thought the first few episodes of the most recent show were pretty funny but then it got pretty lame before it got cancelled.

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting a TV show to work on the network. I hear they are working on one for the streaming service. Hopefully they can get the tone right for that one. (The right tone should be silly enough for kids, but enough adult-skewed humor to make the parents want to watch to.)

We don't have a lot of traditions at WDW - but doing the peoplemover towards the end of the trip seems to be one of them!

I hope my DD will go on trip with me still when she is 15 (almost 12 now). Well I have the younger DD for a long time at least :)
Great trip!
and I love mickeys philharmagic.
Was glad to read the details of your Universal side trip. Am trying to decide when to plan one...

I hope my DD will go on trip with me still when she is 15 (almost 12 now). Well I have the younger DD for a long time at least :)
Great trip!
and I love mickeys philharmagic.
Was glad to read the details of your Universal side trip. Am trying to decide when to plan one...

The toughest thing with Universal is the idea to do both. To me looking back, we didn't have enough time at Universal (well, we did sort of but it really wasn't much time) and then I also feel we didn't have enough time at WDW either. I'm glad our last trip we did Universal only.

I'm always a few updates behind! :lmao:

Thanks for the nighttime Pandora pictures, I didn't get to see it, so now I know what I missed. In March it's on the list.

That was one heck of a morning at MK! You got in a lot of rides!

I never knew the part about the hotel resembling a bear. That's kind of neat!

Your dinner at Artist Point sounds like a ton of food! That reminds me that we wanted to go back there and have just the soup and the berry cobbler. Maybe the charcuterie plate would make it a full meal. I might suggest this one to my parents for our March trip, they are poo pooing lots of my suggested restaurants.

OK one more update to catch up on!

I'm always a few updates behind! :lmao:

Thanks for the nighttime Pandora pictures, I didn't get to see it, so now I know what I missed. In March it's on the list.

That was one heck of a morning at MK! You got in a lot of rides!

We didn't do a lot of it this trip, but that's pretty common for me to want us to hit Rope Drop and blitz rides the first 2-3 hours. The lines are so much shorter. I'm sure we'll do the same thing if/when we come out to DLR next year (hoping to come out for D23 and do 4-5 days at DLR before that.)

I never knew the part about the hotel resembling a bear. That's kind of neat!

Yes, it's hard to even see without being out on the water. It was a neat. The two branches of the hotel even look like the legs/claws when you are far enough back.

Your dinner at Artist Point sounds like a ton of food! That reminds me that we wanted to go back there and have just the soup and the berry cobbler. Maybe the charcuterie plate would make it a full meal. I might suggest this one to my parents for our March trip, they are poo pooing lots of my suggested restaurants.

The Charcuterie for one could've been a meal. I though DW would share more of it, but I ended up eating much of it myself! We did enjoy the meal - my point about it was really that at that price point I want an awesome dining experience, not just a really good one.

hoping to come out for D23 and do 4-5 days at DLR before that.

I'll keep that in mind. I think we're planning on going to D23 next time. At least Fran told me to make reservations at the Hilton for it.

Nice second day at MK. Was that Cosmic Ray's you did for lunch?

I have yet to catch that Muppet show. Going on the list for March. Does it have set times?

Such great family pictures! You guys sure had a great morning in MK. I love the boat ride from WL but haven't stayed there since security at the dock. I like that idea.
Disney is such a great place to vacation with your teens. They actually want to hang around with you again lol and let you take a picture with them in it every now and then. Someone should do a scientific study. We love it.

I'll keep that in mind. I think we're planning on going to D23 next time. At least Fran told me to make reservations at the Hilton for it.

Nice second day at MK. Was that Cosmic Ray's you did for lunch?

I have yet to catch that Muppet show. Going on the list for March. Does it have set times?

I think the muppet show does have times set in the times guide. There's no seating obviously since it's just out in the street - but it's only maybe 10 minutes long and you can show up 2 minutes before it starts and get a fine spot.

It was Cosmic Ray's for lunch. And yes if we come out for D23 hope to see you and Fran as well!

Such great family pictures! You guys sure had a great morning in MK. I love the boat ride from WL but haven't stayed there since security at the dock. I like that idea.
Disney is such a great place to vacation with your teens. They actually want to hang around with you again lol and let you take a picture with them in it every now and then. Someone should do a scientific study. We love it.

Thank you. Moving the security back at MK makes a lot of sense. The front of the park is always so crowded with bodies. Having two security check points for the boat dock seemed to work pretty well. We usually were one of the first off the boat, and the wait was only a minute or two.

We had decided once our third FP was up to see if we could get an evening FP for Test Track over at Epcot rather than come back to MK again. Our favorite QS restaurant is Sunshine Season’s and we figured why not. So after some time at the resort we headed out to the bus.

IMG_20180225_183121675
DSC06219

Sunshine Seasons is about the only QS restaurant that is good enough that we will hit twice. I usually like to get something different on each trip. DD only wanted a fruit cup and a piece of chocolate cake – she wasn’t that hungry, and I think only had the fruit begrudgingly because we wouldn’t let her just eat cake for dinner.

DSC06215

I had the beef with stir fried rice, and DW wanted to try the turkey club sandwich. She wanted another millennial cupcake.

DSC06216
DSC06217

I love dinner at Sunshine Seasons, because the crowds are completely gone unlike lunchtime. Sitting there, we were looking over at Soarin’ and saw that the wait time was down to 30 minutes! We decided, what the heck. Going through the queue I realized that I had never ridden Soarin’ standby, at least not unless it was rope drop. We played the mobile game for a little bit, and while the overall wait may have been 30 minutes, I think it was only about 15 minutes between when we got in line and when we passed the FP+ merge, so I think this was a big-time win.

Again, we sat in middle bottom section – HI PATRICK!

DSC06220

We still had a little bit of time before our FP at Test Track, so we decided we would ride another favorite over in Mexico – The three Cabelleros. There was a big Coco display at the entrance. I really, really loved Coco, best Pixar movie since probably Up – liked it even better than Inside Out which I also really liked a lot. I would be completely fine with them converting this ride to a Coco ride, but Donald, Panchito and Jose are all right by me.

DSC06221
DSC06222
DSC06228
DSC06223
DSC06224
DSC06225
DSC06227

Once we were done with this we headed over to Test Track for the last ride of the trip.

DSC06229

We got off the ride and we could hear Illuminations going on. We were tired and not looking forward to fighting the bus crowds to get back to the resort, so I volunteered to pay for a Lyft for us to get back to the resort. I ordered it as we were exiting the park. The location was pretty close to the entrance – similar distance to the bus stops. We were picked up and the driver took us to WL and it only cost like $9. I usually don’t mind the bus ride, but maybe I am just getting spoiled by all the boat rides, but to me this was way worth it.

And with that – we wrap the trip report. The next day we had an early but not too early flight. It left the airport at 11:15 AM, so we had an 8:15 AM pick-up. The stay at the airport was kind of long, but we had a direct flight to Pittsburgh and then a 4.5 hour drive home from there. Weather was decent enough and we got home safely.

One last tidbit.

So – I had promised one more thing before I wrap the TR. We have now stayed at eight of the DVC properties, with only Bay Lake, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, and I guess Copper Creek left on the list. I decided to rank the resorts as five equaly weighed categories.

Theme: This is a personal preference, but really just how much I like the theme and design of the resort.

Amenities: Things to do in general, but really the focus is on availability of dining options being the most important.

Pool: Not just how nice the pool is, but also how crowded it seems.

Rooms: Honestly this one shouldn’t probably be weighed as high, since mostly the rooms are all the same except the Poly. It’s really about how refreshed the rooms seemed. (For instance Beach Club has been refreshed since we were last there so perhaps I would rate it higher next time.)

So, I scored each resort on a scale of 1-5 in each of these categories. I did not weigh the various categories higher or lower. I then totaled the five scores, and then sorted the results in this table. Maximum possible score is of course a 25.

DVC Ratings.jpg

So, I want to point out that with the exception of Saratoga Springs, none of the resorts scored poorly. But, I will say that Boulder Ridge didn’t score as well as I thought it would. So, let’s dissect that a bit. The top two scores are the theme, which I really love, and the amenities, which had lots of food choices, but we didn’t love either WCC and Artist’s Point. Location wise, I ranked it rather low because while it is fantastic for access to MK, it’s quite terrible for almost every other park. In fact, I was tempted to rank it lower than Animal Kingdom Villas. The reason for this is that AKV actually has pretty good access to three of the parks, are really only Magic Kingdom is handy. WL is the opposite – MK has great access, but the other three parks its very poor – long distance plus sharing a bus. In addition, I was not very impressed by the pool here. It was small and very crowded, in fact I think I liked the DVC pool better, though even that was a very basic pool. The room interiors themselves felt very old and definitely were in need of a refresh, so here WL got a pretty low rating for me - but again a mere 4 points separate the Poly from WL.

Looking at the rest and Boardwalk in particular: I should point out that the top 5 are all within 2 points of each-other, so it is practically a 5 way tie, but yes the Poly is my favorite. Love the theme, the rooms, the restaurants and Trader Sams. My only criticism there is the pool, which was overcrowded when we were there last, but that was before the second pool reopened, so I might even change that. Interesting that our first home resort tied for 2nd with the Grand Californian. The GC also is near perfect except for the pools. I’ve always said Jambo House is my favorite resort if you removed Location and this ranking agrees with that – if I was ever going to go to Disney and stay at the resort full time, I would easily stay at Animal Kingdom Jambo House. Kidani ranks quite a bit lower because I really hate the lack of food options there and that is enough to make the difference between a second-place tie and 6th place.

We land on Boardwalk next in a tie with Beach Club. If you take away the pool, I quite enjoy Boardwalk better than Beach Club, so it’s really about what are your plans for the trip. When we go in August and the pool is a high priority, then Beach Club is the pick, but as we take more adults only trips, I would actually prefer Boardwalk.

This leaves, Saratoga Springs – which I really didn’t like very much. I know it has its proponents, but I think it’s too sprawling, too bland, and the close location to Disney Springs does nothing for me since they closed Pleasure Island. Honestly I would probably rather stay at a POFQ or CBR than at SSR. Not to say I would never stay there – but it would never be my preference if anywhere else is available.

We still have no trips planned where we stay at Bay Lake or Grand Floridian. I would’ve tried one of them in August, but DD wanted her friend to experience AKV and we let her pick the locations. OKW remains off the list as well, but I see it as another version of SSR without the DS access. Mostly a low-point alternative if we don't have another option.

And that’s it…well at least for a few weeks, because coming up at the end of August is our next trip. So I will post the new TR link to this thread as well as our PTR thread.

And thank you everyone that reads along and also double thanks to those of you that comment. I really appreciate that people take time to look through a piece of my life. Take care, and hope to see you around the world!

Very insightful review and interesting about the transportation at WL. We may be staying at AK Lodge in the next few years; thanks for the insight about Jambo House.

Going a few posts back... Love the addition of the muppets to MK. Plus the song is just fun, catchy and funny... Great moments in history, but just the American parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!