Looking for a bit of Disney Magic...

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
Long story made very short - we have an axle failing on the trailer that is causing the tire to rub against the wheel well. After 3 weeks of bouncing back and forth with local shops, I finally found someone who would get it in. I dropped it off this morning and the estimate for axle delivery is 3-4 weeks. We have 7.5 weeks until we head south, so I am hopeful, but concerned about any delays in delivery.

I can live with and/or fix most issues - but jacking up an 8k pound trailer to replace an axle was asking for more than I felt comfortable doing with the equipment I have, and I could hear the tire rubbing, so there was no way I was launching out on a 3k mile trip with it.

Hoping for some of that Disney magic!

pixiedust: Sending some pixie dust your way, mickeyfan0805. Ed

The estimates they give you are usually high to cover themselves - just like Disney and a refund - they tell you 2 billing cycles to cover themselves

fingers crossed it will come in sooner and be back to you!

A trailer axle is a pretty straightforward job and theres no way it should take 3 weeks to get one unless your trailer was made by unicorn industries.

Like Big DD said, there are only 3 primary axle manufacturers for most trailers. Dexter, Alko and Lippert. My prior trailer had Dexter axles. One was bent/manufacture defect when new. Dexter put out a recall and replaced both axles. I happened to be at the RV manufacturer for an RV rally and had them swap the axles, but it took a half day to do the work.

As for axle availability, as long as it is one of the standard manufacturers (not a unicorn builder), parts are readily available. I replaced the brake assemblies on my old trailer and they were available on a number of web sites and I had them in 2 days. Same with bearings and most anything needed to rebuild them.

Also, trailer frames, springs and the such are pretty standard. There's no reason you couldn't replace the axle with a commonly available one that was close to the same specs.

With 7 1/2 weeks to go, as long as your shop gets on it, you should have plenty of time.

j

bdd and Teamumber - I'm hoping you're right. We have Dexter Torflex axles, so I'm not thinking it should be too difficult. They ordered them yesterday and were told 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping it's sooner!

Just throwing this out there as something to ponder. I had to order a fender and a piece of skirting for my previous trailer due to a tire incident. It took me 6 weeks to get the parts due to the dealers incompetence and the sketchy shipping company that many of the RV and OEM suppliers use. The parts were on the shelf at the manufacturer and it took 6 weeks, this was after I drove to Indiana once to pick them. Sometimes I think the Rv industry is its own worst enemy. Rant over.

Just throwing this out there as something to ponder. I had to order a fender and a piece of skirting for my previous trailer due to a tire incident. It took me 6 weeks to get the parts due to the dealers incompetence and the sketchy shipping company that many of the RV and OEM suppliers use. The parts were on the shelf at the manufacturer and it took 6 weeks, this was after I drove to Indiana once to pick them. Sometimes I think the Rv industry is its own worst enemy. Rant over.

This is precisely my concern. We have a solid back-up plan in place with hotel reservations made in our locations just in case, but losing out on the Fort (as well as time camping with friends planned for the first half of the trip) would be pretty disappointing!

An update...

We got the trailer back last weekend! The axle swap fixed the problem, the trailer is pulling like a gem, and we are T-minus 5 days before we leave for TN, and 12 days until our arrival the Fort. The kids still have no idea that we are going to TN onto Disney - it will be fun to see how far south we get before they figure it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!