Looking for replacement for Aeroplan points

montrealdisneylovers

DIS Veteran
I use Aeroplan for our trips from Montreal to Orlando and enjoy the ease of use of this plan. Due to my husband’s business use of the card we have been diamond members for several years. This makes changes and cancellations really easy.

Now that Air Canada has announced that they are severing ties with Aeroplan (Jan 2020) I have to start looking for a new rewards card. I am so very disappointed as we love flying Air Canada.

I know there are multiple options available but would like to know from all of you if there is a card you would recommend that:
1) is very good value as to reward points:dollar spent
2) can be used to book Air Canada flights with ease
3) allows changes/cancelations with ease and minimal charges

Thank you in advance

Has air canada given any indication regarding a new loyalty program? My feeling is if they do launch one, it should be your first option. But it does involve a bit of wait and see.

A second option would be to research the other Star Alliance members to see which loyalty program is most advantageous to you for booking flights. Pair that with a reward cc like mbna, capital one or a bank’s point Card and use their sites to book reward flights, and double up by getting loyalty points.

That is a tough question.

Do you earn most of your points through actual flights flown or other means? If flights go with the airline you fly most. I am sure Air Canada with have a replacement plan.

If you earn points through credit card/bonus points I earn way more bonus points through Air Miles than I ever did with an Aeroplan credit card. This year I earned 18000 points which is enough for about 4 flights Toronto to Florida.

I must say though I am starting to think using points for flights is not a good value. I have 12500 Aeroplan points on my card and also my husbands/kids cards each so enough for 2 round trips. I can get flights for times I want but the flight down fees are $182 and back $118, so $300 in fees plus 25000 points per person . I can pay cash and get a flight for $400.

Airmiles for flights is no better. I was looking at flights to Prague, 8000 Airmiles plus $680 is fees. I can book cash flights for $1000 so that is a terrible value for the points.

For now I am going to Continue with collecting Airmiles and use for Disney tickets and pay cash for a flight. I think my Aeroplan points I am going to use them for Starbucks gift cards.

We have not heard any updates from either Air Canada or Aeroplan as to how or with whom they will proceed going forward. I wish they would provide some information but my guess is that they don’t know yet.

We earn through credit card/points. I also have airmiles but find it difficult to navigate the flight booking system. To be honest I haven’t focused too hard to learn it but it doesn’t seem straight forward. I also don’t know how easy it is to make changes.

Aeroplan is great as it is easy to cancel a flight if you are 22 days out and a diamond member. Costs $30 and it’s done. To make changes inside of 22 days is $75. I believe that booking straight with Air Canada is much more expensive should you need to make changes.

We are similar to you. Diamond member. Earn points through our business. We are burning through our points to be out by mid 2020. That's when A/C will have their own program. All the large C/C companies are in the midst of making their proposals to A/C. We are fortunate enough to have points to fly Business Class (although it's Rouge) to Orlando. I have numerous C/C's that earn points for different purposes. I'll be dedicated to A/C once they bring their C/C affiliation to light. But for now, I'll use TD which (in effect) earns 1.2 pts/dollar and also Capital One (the best in my mind for non-business class flights), which earns 2 pts/dollar.

We are similar to you. Diamond member. Earn points through our business. We are burning through our points to be out by mid 2020. That's when A/C will have their own program. All the large C/C companies are in the midst of making their proposals to A/C. We are fortunate enough to have points to fly Business Class (although it's Rouge) to Orlando. I have numerous C/C's that earn points for different purposes. I'll be dedicated to A/C once they bring their C/C affiliation to light. But for now, I'll use TD which (in effect) earns 1.2 pts/dollar and also Capital One (the best in my mind for non-business class flights), which earns 2 pts/dollar.

Thank you for this. We have also travelled Rouge Business to Orlando. The TD card you are referring to, is it the travel rewards card? We use that one and it’s good but I find the return on Aeroplan much better. I tried searching for the Capital One card but only find the Aspire Travel mastercard which is 1 point per $ spent. Which one are you referring to?

It's called the "Aspire Travel World Elite Mastercard". Very weird as although I am holding the card in my hand, their website doesn't show the card. Makes me wonder whether they are either getting rid of the card or about to devalue the points. (just like TD just did to me.) Yes, Aeroplan is the best value as long as you don't buy the "Market Fare" flights. I always book 356 days in advance which usually gets me the "Fixed Mileage" flights. I actually have other cards which aren't bad - BMO World Elite earns 2 pts/dollar and Amex earns 1.25 pts/dollar. I think I have way too many C/C's now that I think about it!

Thank you for this. We have also travelled Rouge Business to Orlando. The TD card you are referring to, is it the travel rewards card? We use that one and it’s good but I find the return on Aeroplan much better. I tried searching for the Capital One card but only find the Aspire Travel mastercard which is 1 point per $ spent. Which one are you referring to?

Ha, thanks for questioning me. Just did a search. The Capital One Travel World Elite Mastercard is no more. Apparently they will still offer their current card holders the same 2 for 1. We'll see for how long.

Do not look to AirMiles for a flight card. It is not that friendly for flights. Plus if you have to cancel or change, better off buying a new flight. Airmiles is good for some things, flights are not generally that.

I like CIBC Aventura or RBC Avion. its easier to find a flight on any airline with these and you don't have to book so far in advance. So if Westjet, Delta or whoever has a seat sale you're free to book it and aren't limited to AC or United.

One thing to add about getting a bank's points card. I do have a TD Aeroplan Visa (although I'm going to switch it at some point to a non-Aeroplan card), but because I have their "All-Inclusive" account, I get my annual fee waived. I'm sure the other banks have a similar feature with at least one account plan, and so long as you keep your balance above the minimum, it's of no risk to have.

I just booked three return flights from the east coat to Toronto next summer for 75000 points and about $500.00. Saved me over 1300 dollars. I could have used them on a return trip to Asia but these often go on sale and the taxes and fees are usually quite high so not as good a return. My card was free through my bank so honestly, nothing really out of my pocket except the taxes etc. I also recently acquired a RBC Westjet card and even though I already had my WJ flights booked for March for Orlando, I got free checked luggage for my entire family. Unfortunately, the points are harder to build up than with Aeroplan. I fly both airlines so hoping when they switch over, they will offer some new cards and incentives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!