Looking for some flash help..

4HOLIDAYS

DIS Veteran
I have a Canon T41, and when using a 270EXll, every time I take a photo it will flash but it is whited out. This just started happening. Did I break it, hit a wrong setting somewhere?? I have no idea what is wrong. Any help is appreciated.
TIA!

I'm not familiar with your camera and flash but I'm a fairly keen photographer. It sounds like your picture is being over exposed, which could be for a number of reasons.

You'll probably want to make sure your flash is being used in TTL mode, you also need to make sure that the camera is adjusting it's exposure to take into account the burst of flash, otherwise it's shooting the picture as it thinks is normal but the flash is firing too which will make it over exposed. To do This, try taking a picture witout the flash, then take a picture with the flash on and in TTL mode. Look at the settings for each picture and they should be different on each one.

Lastly, depending on your lens' widest aperture you may want to stop down some more; with flash photography a good rule of thumb is to assume that aperture controls the strength of how much flash is received (so at f8 the flash would have less of an impact on the scene than f2.8) while shutter speed and ISO control the amount of ambient light. Your camera and flash will have a maximum sync speed that could be around 1/200 (so you won't be able to shoot faster than this and still have the flash work as normal), but going slower will allow more ambient light to balance the flash.

That's a bit of an info rant but hopefully it will help, of course feel free to ask if you have any questions though. It' very possible that there's an easy solution to your problem that someone with the same gear might be able to solve, but that' the basics otherwise of what could be going wrong.

Check your settings and make sure something didn't get accidentally changed.

I will say that I had a T2i I used with the 270ex for a long time, then all of a sudden it started whiting out some of my photos. Not all of them, just every 4th or 5th photo or so. I never did figure it out. I replaced it with a 270exii and it's been fine since.

So definitely rule out a mistake in one of your settings. But then I think it's likely your flash is malfunctioning.

Do you have a friend with a Canon flash you could test out to see how it worked?

I have a Canon T41, and when using a 270EXll, every time I take a photo it will flash but it is whited out. This just started happening. Did I break it, hit a wrong setting somewhere?? I have no idea what is wrong. Any help is appreciated.
TIA!

is the flash in ETTL mode?
is the camera on "auto" mode?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!