Magical Express Report with ECVs/Changing Planes in Atlanta

clkelley

<font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo
Some friends of ours just returned from WDW.

They both use personal ECVs at WDW to help them with the long distances. They are both completely able to transfer.

The Magical Express bus they were on for both directions placed their ECVs underneath the bus in the luggage compartment and they boarded themselves.

They don't recall if the particular buses they were on did not have lifts or in their situation, it was just easier to put the scooters underneat.

Also, FYI, they gate checked their ECVs for the trip and were able to get them in Atlanta for their change of planes.

Carol

My husband is thinking of taking his own ECV to WDW and we are flying SW. We have never done this before with the ECV so thank you for your post. What do you mean when you say the ECV was gate checked. this is only our 2nd time flying and we were wondering how to get the ECV on the plane other than riding it on. He has some mobility, but tires very easily and we know he would need it in the parks. We thought about renting one everyday in the parks but that would be $30.00 per day x 6 days. Any information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

My hubby (and the friends I spoke of) fly with their ECVs quite frequently.

If the ECV has gel cell batteries, (most do) the ECV can be driven through security and then given to the plane personnel at the gate. They then disconnect the batteries, take the seat off, fold the tiller down, and load the ECV on the plane through the luggage door.

If the passenger can board on their own, they then do so. If not, the passenger is transferred to a special aisle wide wheelchair and then transfers to a regular plane seat.

When the plane lands, the passenger gets off of the plane and waits on the ECV to be delivered to them planeside or at the gate.

The "official" airline information states that sometimes there will not be enough time during plane changes for a passenger to receive their ECV or wheelchair and the ECV is transferred by luggage personnel and the passenger is given wheelchair assistance between gates.

My hubby has only gone on direct flights with his ECV. This was the first time our friends have had a change of planes with their ECV.

Passengers also have the option of completely dissasembling their ECV and checking it as baggage, then retrieving it at the baggage carousel at their destination airport. They can then request wheelchair assistance at the airport.

We have flown in very small planes and have always been able to gate check the ECV. That has seemed to work the best. It is one of the last things loaded on the plane and one of the first things off.

Carol

I fly SWA and travel with my ECV I let them know ahead of time that I'm travelling with a ECV and they note my confirmation. If your ECV has sealed or Gel batteries you can gate check your ECV and it's waiting for you in the jetway when you arrive at you destination. I've found SWA to be very good. In Orlando they took the ECV one hour before departure and they will give you a wheelchair to use. They like you to be at the gate one hour before departure. Hope everything works out for you.

It is the gel battery. We have only flown twice, ever and this is the first time with an ECV. What does gate check mean? I called SW and the lady on the phone said it would be treated like our luggage. He has some mobility, but tires very easily. How do I go about getting it gate checked so that we could have it when we arrive at MCO rather than having to go to baggage claim to get it with the rest of our luggage? I really appreciate all of the help!! We are a little nervous about this, being this is new to us.

I just ride my ECV to the gate and go in the preboard line. The gate attendant will come over and check the ECV and see what type of battery you have and then put a tag on it.When you gate check the ECV they take it down the steps and put it under the plane with the strollers and baggage. I wonder if that's what the SWA person ment. They then bring it back up to the jetway of the plane with the strollers and it's waiting for you. I would call SWA again maybe another attendant will explain it better. Some attendants know more than others. I'm sure everything will be fine I find SWA attendants very helpful.

Thanks to all. I believe I will call SW back today and ask them can we just do the gate check. That seems so much easier than have it taken with our luggage and having to retrieve down in baggage claim!! Thanks alot!! :flower:

The SWA folks on the phone unfortunately, will not be very knowledgeable. You do need to tell them you will be transporting an electric mobility device with gel cell batteries. The folks on the phone won't know each individual airport policy.

When you arrive at the airport, that is when you just need to check your regular luggage, then head towards security on your ECV.

Make sure you are there at least 2 hours before your flight and let the gate agent handle getting the ECV on the plane.

That is how hubby and my friends have always worked transporting their ECVs and have never had a problem.

Carol

Here's sort of gate checking 101.
You can gate check wheelchairs, strollers and usually ECVs and power wheelchairs. What people mean by gate checking is, you leave your (properely tagged) item at the gate and it is brought to the gate for you to claim at your destination city. During the flight, it is stored in a baggage compartment under the plane and it is one of the last things put on the plane when leaving and one of the first things removed when arriving at the destination.
Inquire about gate checking when you first check in. Sometimes, they will give you a gate check tag then.
Usually, they will say to ask the gate agent. As soon as you see the gate agent arrive at their desk, go up and ask about/get a gate check tag.
You don't want to wait until boarding because during the busy boarding time, there is more chance for error (more about that later) and also, (depending on the airport) there may not be time to get your item from the gate to where it needs to be loaded onto the plane.
At the gate, right near (kind of opposite) the door where you enter the plane, there is a door that leads to a stairway that goes down to ground level. Strollers, lightweight manual wheelchairs and ecvs that are not too big and/or heavy to be carried down the stairs can be taken out there for loading. Larger or heavier things (like power wheelchairs) need to be taken to an elevator to go down to ground level. The reason for getting to the gate 2 hours ahead of time is that at some airports the gate you are using may not be close to the elevator, so they need some time to get your item from the gate back down to the plane. That's why at some airports, you can't gate check ecvs or power wheelchairs.
The gate check tag is usually a neon color (ours have been greeen or hot pink) so it stands out and the baggage workers can see it is supposed to be delivered to the gate. When you hand over your ECV/stroller/wheelchair make sure the tag is securely attached, that it is visible and that you have folded your item as much as possible and removed/secured everything that might fall off, be broken off, etc. Any pieces you remove can be carried onto the plane and stowed in the overhead compartments (we usually removed DD's wheelchair seat and cushion (velcro and latched on), her footrests and her armrests. Those pieces DO NOT count as part of your carry on baggage allowance. If they are too big to fit in the overhead bin, they have to let you use the closet (If there is one - some planes don't have one), even if the closet is "reserved" for first class passengers.
At your destination airport, you should find your item delivered to the gate. This may take a while, especially if there are a lot of other gate checked items or if your item needs to be be sent to the gate using an elevator. We have been on flights when it took until the plane was almost empty for our DD's wheelchair to be brought to the gate; she was traveling with a manual wheelchair that was carried up the steps, so the delay was not due to using an elevator. We have also been on flights to Orlando where there were so many gate checked strollers that even though her wheelchair was delivered promptly, we couldn't get to it. So...... just sit in the plane for a while and relax while all the other people get out.
If you don't have a gate check tag, it is not filled out properly or it's not visible, your item won't be delivered to the gate. On our trip in April, we did see someone who brought their DD's wheelchair to the gate and carried her on. They were ahead of us. I didn't see a tag on their wheelchair and assumed either I just couldn't see it or they wanted it delivered to the baggage area. When we got off the plane, we could see the wheelchairs being unloaded. My DD's was brought up toward the gate. Another one (which turned out to be the other people's) was loaded onto the baggage cart. When we got off, the conversation I overheard made it clear that the other family had not known about gate check tags and thought that if they just left the wheelchair at the gate, that's where they would get it back. Usually, the people loading the plane are good about catching mistakes like that, but if you wait to ask about gate checking while you are getting on, they are busy and more likely to forget/make mistakes.

As was already mentioned, if you have a connecting flight, there may not be enough time between flights to have your item delivered to the gate at your connecting city and then put on the next plane you are flying on. So, in those situations, you might be forced to receive the item back at your final destination gate.

mickeyluv said:
We thought about renting one everyday in the parks but that would be $30.00 per day x 6 days. Any information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Randy's mobility rents standard size scooter for $175.00 per week, which comes out to $25.00 per day for seven days.

Plus you could use it at the WDW resort and drive right inside your room. And use the WDW bus, boat transportation, and use it in the parks.

From personal experience, rent the scooter from an outside vendor instead of just renting the ECV scooter in the WDW parks. You'll feel so much more better and relaxed and less pain.

Look at Sue Ellen's sticky FAQ at the top for more information for renting in Orlando.

But I hope that you get to take your own scooter on the plane.

Sincerely, Ray

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter