Make a Wish and Hold on Tight - My First Disneyland PTR! - (Cancelled 11/25)

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
The evenin' star is shinin' bright,
So make a wish and hold on tight...

giphy.gif

Well, hello, DISboards!

tumblr_mp10asb1Ph1qbewogo2_r1_500.gif

Kaitlyn here, making my west coast board debut after about 4 years on the east-coast side of the DIS.

I’m finally over here after 5 Walt Disney World vacations and 1 Walt Disney World Resort College Program. Orlando, Florida has pretty much been the farthest I’ve traveled from my home in New Jersey. I’ve never left the east coast before, but that’s all about to change thanks to one special friend!

ausandi.jpg

That there standing next to me is my best friend Austin, new DISer @BroadwayAustin1996 . We go to college together. We’re both juniors, but we met as dorky little freshmen obsessed with Broadway and of course, Disney. I’ll introduce us both even better in a formal introductions post. I’ll also link you once he makes his own PTR for this trip! What you need to know right now is that he lives in Pheonix, AZ, where our story begins.

At the beginning of the summer, we started talking about how great it would be if I could visit him and we could go to Disneyland together.

And that talking became planning.

And that planning became buying airfare from NJ to PHX.

tenor.gif

And so our Disneyland journey begins!

Now technically, we don’t have our Disneyland tickets or hotel booked yet. So as of right now, all that’s really set in stone is that I will be in Pheonix, AZ from January 7-January 13. The plan is to be in Disneyland from the 8-10, and then come back to Pheonix and do a little bit of western sightseeing until I fly back to New Jersey.

We are doing this trip totally from scratch, which means we’re going to need to put in a lot of hard work to make this happen. But when it happens, it’ll be a trip of awesome firsts. My first vacation that I funded myself, my first vacation with friends, and of course, MY FIRST TRIP TO DISNEYLAND/OUTSIDE OF THE EAST COAST!

peter%252520pan%252520vader%252520reaction.gif

I have seriously been dreaming of the day I got to see California, ESPECIALLY Disneyland, for many, many years. This is a serious dream come true in the works and I can't wait to share everything with the DIS.

Like I said, there’s going to be a lot of hard work and planning, and that’s where this PTR comes in! I've obviously never planned a DLR trip before, so everything that happens between now and January is totally new to me. Austin is a seasoned DLR vet, so he'll be doing a lot of the real planning, but I've already got a little bucket list of things I want to get done in California.

I don’t know how often I’m going to be able to update this PTR, but I’ll post whenever something significant happens. No matter how this trip turns out, I can’t wait to share this very special story with you and I hope you guys will enjoy!

What I do know for sure is that I’m going to Walt Disney World with my family on July 29, and I would encourage you to check out my pre-existing PTR, and my TR once it pops up!

Looks Like the POLY is our Laughin' Place - An Aug 2017 PTR

And now, the 5 Ws of a PTR

Who: My best friend Austin and I!

What: My FIRST EVER Disneyland/Western Excursion!

When: Jan 7-13, 2017

Where: Austin’s house in Arizona and a TBA hotel in Anaheim, CA

Why: Because friendship runs coast to coast!

Off we go!

giphy.gif

Other Reads

A few finished adventures, a few ongoing adventures. Pull up a chair and enjoy!
August 2017- Ongoing
My fourth TR: Newsies' Quest for the Unicorn Pinata

July 2014
My first PTR: So whatever happens, let's begin.
My first TR: "You're definitely feeling and not concealing!"

August 2015
My second PTR: I'll Call Steve: A Wilderprincess PTR!
My second TR: Naveen Ain't Playin: My Glitteriest, Princessiest TR Ever!

January 2017
My third PTR: Is it WEIRD to Make a PTR for a 3-Day Long Trip?
My third TR: Polynesian Tiki God Says... Magical Bora-Bora Bungalow Upgrade?!?

July/August 2017
My fourth PTR: Looks Like the Poly is our Laughin' Place!

Last edited:
Ok, I'm here.

hocus-pocus-unimpressed.gif

I'm actually really excited for you, just putting that out there before my bitter butt gets in the way of that.

I'm high key appreciating the use of my homegurl Tiana in the introduction as well as that Peter making fun of Darth Vader gif. Oh and Babs, which is making me emotional. 'Tis art.

Also...

@BroadwayAustin1996

You don't know me, but you've probably heard about me and I just wanted to say...

tenor.gif

Ok, I'm here.

hocus-pocus-unimpressed.gif

I'm actually really excited for you, just putting that out there before my bitter butt gets in the way of that.

I'm high key appreciating the use of my homegurl Tiana in the introduction as well as that Peter making fun of Darth Vader gif. Oh and Babs, which is making me emotional. 'Tis art.

Also...

@BroadwayAustin1996

You don't know me, but you've probably heard about me and I just wanted to say...

tenor.gif

Omg I had been planning the PatF reference for AGES with this PTR and I knew you'd appreciate it... <3

LOOK AT YOU AND AUSTIN GETTING ALONG

Joining in! Can't wait to hear what you have planned!

Welcome aboard!!! Thanks so much for being here!!!

The "Update" Update
148 Days Out

I know it looks really, really bad that I started this PTR over a month ago and haven't touched it. Like, really, REALLY bad.

giphy.gif

I just want you all to know that the reason I haven't update yet is not because the trip has faltered of has been cancelled. This trip is still 100% on. In fact, since my latest trip to Walt Disney World, Austin and I have become even more confident in our capability to visit Disneyland when I fly out to him in January.

The reason this PTR hasn't been updated is because of that trip to Disney World! I have been incredibly occupied with the East Coast side of the boards and my latest TR. I had a really fun trip and it would really mean a lot to me if you guys could check it out!

I've been devoting all of my time and energy to this TR for now. The goal is to get the report finished by the time I go back to school. I go back to school (and see Austin again!) at the end of the month, so I only have a few short weeks to finish writing the TR and there's still so much left to talk about! :scared1:

Austin has been busy with his very own trip to DLR! He and his friend Savannah were in DLR for a few days last week and he had a blast.

You guys still don't know who Austin and I actually are since I never posted our introductions. I promise that's coming soon!

-Kaitlyn

Last edited:
The Dynamic Duo
108 Days Out

Hi all! I'm back and ready to give this PTR my all!

Now that I've wrapped things up on the East Coast boards, I'm gonna be here planning and updating for the next hundred or so days!

Before we can even start talking planning, I haven't even properly introduced Austin and myself!

Let's talk about
Austin first since he's making his big DIS debut! Here's my best friend/ball of sunshine.

DKSLjK6X0AAGl8M.jpg

Austin grew up in Arizona. He loves theatre and his favorite shows are Newsies, Waitress, Hello Dolly, and Spring Awakening. He is an Arts and Entertainment Management student, and he's got tons of cool internships under his belt because he is the intern master. He is such a hard-working and sweet person, I am so lucky to have him as a friend in my life!

He's been to Disneyland 8 times in his life. Most recently, he went to Disneyland over the summer with his best friend from home Savannah. He absolutely loves meeting characters and riding Space Mountain! I can't wait to take cute pictures and meet Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde with him! Austin loves Disney because it taught him life lessons that he wouldn't learn in school and provided him with an escape from reality.

During this trip, Austin is looking forward to being in Disneyland Resort during the holiday times as opposed to the regular season. He has never been to DLR during Christmas, so he is really looking forward to seeing the parks all dressed up!

Favorite Disney movie: Beauty and the Beast (original!)
Favorite character: Peter Pan
Favorite park: Disneyland
Favorite land: Fantasyland
Favorite ride: Space Mountain and Peter Pan's Flight
Favorite restaurant: Cafe Orleans or Golden Horshoe
Favorite snack: Churros
Favorite souvenir: Pins
Favorite Disneyland memory: His first trip when all the princesses called him their prince!

Isn't he a peach? I wouldn't ask to go to Disneyland with anybody else!

My name is
Kaitlyn!

DHXVB2sXYAQHAcI.jpg

I am a 20-year-old Jersey girl studying Communications in the big apple with Austin. I love LuLaRoe, iced lattes, and Broadway. Big fan of Cole Sprouse and the cast of Newsies. I'm a writer, sorority sister, and life-long Disney fan!

My family recently became DVC owners, and our home resort is the Polynesian Village Resort. We've shared 5 Walt Disney World family vacations together. I'm an alumn of the Disney College Program here on the east coast! I was an attractions hostess for the Fall 2016 season at Peter Pan's Flight and its a small world. Walt Disney World is my home but I've always wanted to see Disneyland! Hopefully, one day I'll be able to take Austin to Disney World with me.

I have a few main goals for this trip: Try some beignets, meet Tinker Bell's friends, and go on most of/all of the dark rides in Fantasyland. I am so excited to go out west and I can't wait to continue planning with Austin!

Favorite Disney movie: Cinderella
Favorite character: Tinker Bell
Favorite park: Epcot
Favorite land: Fantasyland
Favorite ride: Splash Mountain and its a small world
Favorite restaurant: 1900 Park Fare
Favorite snack: Rice Krispie Treats
Favorite souvenir: Anything I can wear!
Favorite Walt Disney World memory: My first Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party

AAAAAHHHHH So happy this TR is LIT again! I'm so sorry I haven't commented in awhile. School is taking over my life as well as illness so yeah. But omg, are Austin and I going to fight over Peter? Because I will win. And lowkey crying over the fact your favorite DCP memory is your first MNSSHP because MNSSHP and because I was there for that one, getting you water while you waited to meet Jack & Sally then we went to meet princesses. Such good times and I feel honored to be a part of your faves.

Alright, Timmy's being forced by a cute boy to watch Atlantis: The Lost Empire so he gunna do that. Ta ta for now! Update soon!

AAAAAHHHHH So happy this TR is LIT again! I'm so sorry I haven't commented in awhile. School is taking over my life as well as illness so yeah. But omg, are Austin and I going to fight over Peter? Because I will win. And lowkey crying over the fact your favorite DCP memory is your first MNSSHP because MNSSHP and because I was there for that one, getting you water while you waited to meet Jack & Sally then we went to meet princesses. Such good times and I feel honored to be a part of your faves.

Alright, Timmy's being forced by a cute boy to watch Atlantis: The Lost Empire so he gunna do that. Ta ta for now! Update soon!

It's gonna be LIT LIT LITTTTYYYYY from here on in, I PINKIE PROMISE. Don't be sorry, bae, school is picking up and I know you're a sickly little pup right now :( feel better honey.

You and Austin are NOT going to fight over Peter because there is MORE than enough Peter to go around. Play nice, Michael and John.

You were a big part of my most special MNSSHP memory and ILY and IMY :hug::hug::hug:

Great intros!! Sounds like you will be going to DL with the perfect friend!

Thank you!! I couldn't have asked for a better travel buddy!

Awesome to see you are back planning-though TBH, Disneyland doesn't take crazy amounts of planning! Hoping to be able to run into you and/or @PlutosRHM55!

Also quick question for either of you guys, did you get a special Disney College Program pin? I found one on a trading board a couple weeks ago and grabbed it, setting aside for if we did run into each other! But if you already have one, I can try to find another DCP person to trade/gift!

Also quick question for either of you guys, did you get a special Disney College Program pin? I found one on a trading board a couple weeks ago and grabbed it, setting aside for if we did run into each other! But if you already have one, I can try to find another DCP person to trade/gift!

I never got one. I can't speak for Kaitlyn but I never got one. I know they gave them out but only for special occasions I believe. I'd love to have one tho! :teeth:

Following along! I live in the Phoenix area, and I have to say that January is a perfect time to visit. This is our first week in like 5 months where the highs aren't hitting 100º+ finally. It should be nice in CA too during that time. :) I got to see all the holiday festivities finally for the first time last year and they were so awesome! My trip reports are all with little kids so far, but this next 1-day trip in October is just me and my (adult) friends, and I'm so excited! You can plan Disneyland like crazy, but the magic really comes in when you kind throw the plans out the window because it works so well to just go with the flow there sometimes. I want to go to WDW with my husband sometime in a few years, but honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed at the sheer volume and inflexibility of planning involved!

Awesome to see you are back planning-though TBH, Disneyland doesn't take crazy amounts of planning! Hoping to be able to run into you and/or @PlutosRHM55!

I'm so happy to be able to post here again! Now that I'm settling into things for the semester, I'm definitely going to be here a lot more.

You DEFINITELY don't need to micromanage your plans at DLR like you need to do at WDW, which I'm really looking forward to. I'm trying not to overplan, but I have a lot of things I definitely want to get done in a short amount of time! That's mostly what this planning process is going to be like: my aspirations and goals for visiting DLR for the first time.

I did not get a pin. I got a Vista Way pin, but not a DCP one! I'm not a HUGE pin person, so if we do end up seeing each other, I'd much rather see it go to Timmy, since he likes pins a lot more! I really hope our paths will cross in January!

I never got one. I can't speak for Kaitlyn but I never got one. I know they gave them out but only for special occasions I believe. I'd love to have one tho! :teeth:

^^ This! The pin is Timmy's, should you see him!

Following along! I live in the Phoenix area, and I have to say that January is a perfect time to visit. This is our first week in like 5 months where the highs aren't hitting 100º+ finally. It should be nice in CA too during that time. :) I got to see all the holiday festivities finally for the first time last year and they were so awesome! My trip reports are all with little kids so far, but this next 1-day trip in October is just me and my (adult) friends, and I'm so excited! You can plan Disneyland like crazy, but the magic really comes in when you kind throw the plans out the window because it works so well to just go with the flow there sometimes. I want to go to WDW with my husband sometime in a few years, but honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed at the sheer volume and inflexibility of planning involved!

:welcome: So happy to have you here!

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the holiday decorum at DLR, I've obviously only seen it at WDW. I'm so glad you're having a friends trip to DL this October, definitely share it with us via TR so that I can read up on everything!

I've heard that DLR doesn't require as much planning, which takes a lot of stress off of me! I'm really excited to just take everything in, but there are a few "must-dos" that I need to get accomplished for sure!

WDW planning can seem scary at first, but if you get your timeline/window open dates in order, it's relatively painless and SO worth it! Let me know if you need help!

The Cancellation of this PTR

Whomp-Whomp.

Voz0m.gif

As most of you know, the "no news is good news" rule applies to pretty much everything BUT pre-trip reports and unfortunately, the lack of updates on this PTR is due to the fact that Austin and I are no longer going to Disneyland Resort this January. I had my heart fixed on going to DLR, but things happen. About a week after my last update, Austin decided that now just wasn't the best time for us to go to DLR together, and I totally understood. I am SO looking forward to Arizona and spending time with Austin and his family! We're going to be doing a lot of sight-seeing in Arizona and hopefully seeing some theatre while we're there.

Unfortunately, this is the DLR board and this PTR was posted in the hope that we would be going to DLR. Since we're no longer going to DLR, this PTR is hereby cancelled.

Buuuuuut, every cloud has a silver lining!

If you know me, you know that I never formally wrap things up without something else in store. I am not going to jump the gun and start talking about my next adventure just yet, especially since we're going to be working with the DVC booking system for the first time and we aren't exactly sure how things are going to work out for us! Our next adventure is FOR SURE going to be a new one for us, and I can't wait to start planning again!

Sorry to break things off with the West Coast board so soon, but I am really excited to (hopefully) have some new content for the East Coast board again within the next month!

-Kaitlyn

The Cancellation of this PTR

Whomp-Whomp.

Voz0m.gif

As most of you know, the "no news is good news" rule applies to pretty much everything BUT pre-trip reports and unfortunately, the lack of updates on this PTR is due to the fact that Austin and I are no longer going to Disneyland Resort this January. I had my heart fixed on going to DLR, but things happen. About a week after my last update, Austin decided that now just wasn't the best time for us to go to DLR together, and I totally understood. I am SO looking forward to Arizona and spending time with Austin and his family! We're going to be doing a lot of sight-seeing in Arizona and hopefully seeing some theatre while we're there.

Unfortunately, this is the DLR board and this PTR was posted in the hope that we would be going to DLR. Since we're no longer going to DLR, this PTR is hereby cancelled.

Buuuuuut, every cloud has a silver lining!

If you know me, you know that I never formally wrap things up without something else in store. I am not going to jump the gun and start talking about my next adventure just yet, especially since we're going to be working with the DVC booking system for the first time and we aren't exactly sure how things are going to work out for us! Our next adventure is FOR SURE going to be a new one for us, and I can't wait to start planning again!

Sorry to break things off with the West Coast board so soon, but I am really excited to (hopefully) have some new content for the East Coast board again within the next month!

-Kaitlyn

Awww, that’s too bad! But another silver lining-there would have been a lot of refurbishments and construction during your trip! By the time you make it out here maybe it will have calmed down a bit! And...a little birdie (aka info from the request for proposal for my company) told me the new Disneyland Hotel will have DVC rooms-maybe you’ll be able to book there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!