Marathon Training Routes near BLT & Universal

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
My husband will be training for the Austin Marathon while we are at Disney and Universal the week of Thanksgiving. We are staying at BLT and Hard Rock but will have a car. He has never really run very far for training at WDW, just done the Wine & Dine half. He needs a 4 and 7 mile at WDW and a 14 mile route at Universal. Any suggestions for good routes from these hotels or within driving. He will probably do them in the early morning, so we have to assume the park parking lots may not be open yet. Thanks

The official running rout for BLT/CR is less than a mile. But I when including the path to MK & the parking lots it can get stretched to 1.5-2 miles. The best bet would be to drive over to the EP resorts. From there there are a number of possible ways to get in 4-7 miles.

I haven’t been to Universal in years and wasn’t running the last time I was there, so I don’t know anything g about running there.

The official running rout for BLT/CR is less than a mile. But I when including the path to MK & the parking lots it can get stretched to 1.5-2 miles. The best bet would be to drive over to the EP resorts. From there there are a number of possible ways to get in 4-7 miles.

I haven’t been to Universal in years and wasn’t running the last time I was there, so I don’t know anything g about running there.

We thought about the Epcot resorts. He knows there is plenty of running space there; however, we don't know where he could park. The hotels are being very strict about parking without a hotel or dining reservation. Maybe not Swan or Dolphin though. Also, they are not opening the theme park parking lots until about 45 minutes before park opening. So, DHS parking lot doesn't open until about 9:15am and Epcot not until about 10:15am, which is too late. Also, the Skyliner has been really packed and doesn't start until about an hour or less before park opening, so he can't really use it either.

What about Disney Springs? Does the parking open up early there? It looks like there's a pretty long path if you include OKW and SSR.

The below was 4.4 miles at BLT in July. Seemed like each loop was under a mile, but like @KevM said you can extend distance by adding parking lots or other sidewalks (you can see how I ad-libed some in the BLT parking lot out of boredom).

I don’t really love running in loops, but I can think of worse places to log miles! Bay Lake first thing in the morning is lovely. If he can put up with the repetition, it’s not a bad place to run. I prefer running early (6am) just to get it in before things pick up around the resort.

3132AD9A-3C27-4D41-8028-EF0D124B8B2C.jpeg

Hi all, thanks for the ideas! I did find one brave soul that came up with an 18-mile course around the parks starting and ending at Contemporary. I don't need that kind of mileage, but the key bit is they used the World Drive Tunnel to link up with the trails at Ft Wilderness. There was a sidewalk in the tunnel last time I checked, and a pretty serviceable grassy median, so as long as there's nobody to stop me at the service roads and parking lots it looks like I can get to that trail. If it doesn't work out (street view shows construction fencing at Ft Wilderness Oct 2019) I can always turn around and do laps of the parking lots or whatever roads/paths are open. Even with the COVID lockdown at Boardwalk/Yacht/Swolphin in July I managed to get a few miles in there so I'm optimistic.

My husband will be training for the Austin Marathon while we are at Disney and Universal the week of Thanksgiving. We are staying at BLT and Hard Rock but will have a car. He has never really run very far for training at WDW, just done the Wine & Dine half. He needs a 4 and 7 mile at WDW and a 14 mile route at Universal. Any suggestions for good routes from these hotels or within driving. He will probably do them in the early morning, so we have to assume the park parking lots may not be open yet. Thanks

I'm curious about the 14-mile route at Universal. Do you remember what your husband ended up doing?

We're staying at Universal at end of August, and I have a 15-mile run planned in my training plan.

I'm curious about the 14-mile route at Universal. Do you remember what your husband ended up doing?

We're staying at Universal at end of August, and I have a 15-mile run planned in my training plan.

The marathon got canceled before our trip due to Covid, so he never figured out anything. Sorry

Maybe reach out to a local running group or a running store? I know my local store has running route maps ready for tourists who ask for them. Sometimes the hotel concierge will as well, so maybe check with the higher end Universal resorts?

I found a path on greatruns.com, but it's basically following International Drive all the way south and back up again.

I've never been to Universal and I have no idea what the roads/sidewalks/bike paths look like in that area. We are staying at Royal Pacific, so I'll ask someone over there. Or maybe switch some of my runs that week so I do my long run the day before I leave. I'm not looking forward to a 15-mile run in the Orlando August afternoon heat. :oops: Actually the more I think about it, the more it seems insane to attempt such a run...

I found a path on greatruns.com, but it's basically following International Drive all the way south and back up again.

I've never been to Universal and I have no idea what the roads/sidewalks/bike paths look like in that area. We are staying at Royal Pacific, so I'll ask someone over there. Or maybe switch some of my runs that week so I do my long run the day before I leave. I'm not looking forward to a 15-mile run in the Orlando August afternoon heat. :oops: Actually the more I think about it, the more it seems insane to attempt such a run...

FWIW, I've done 10 miles on a treadmill at the Boardwalk. That's how I discovered the Disney gyms have mini coolers with heavenly cooled, damp towels!

I just looked at Garmin and found 187 courses between Blizzard Beach and Lake Bryan:

1656175427277.png

I suspect Strava has even more if you have a paid account.

Attachments

• 1656175409332.png
    1656175409332.png
    352.1 KB · Views: 5

While there are good sidewalks/walking paths around the hotel, the only way I could see it working is by literally running from your hotel to City Walk and back - repeatedly. Nothing is really that far away (max a little more than a mile) and I definitely couldn't imagine doing it in the Florida heat.

My experience is that most of the Universal hotels have pretty nice fitness centers so that's always an option. I've used the ones at Cabana Bay (huge and very, very well stocked with equipment) and Dockside (really, really nice treadmills). I don't know if you can "fitness center hop," but Cabana Bay isn't too far from RP.

Unlike Disney there are tons of sidewalks on the main roads in and around Universal. It’s much more pedestrian friendly since it’s in a very touristy area and not isolated like Disney. Of course, just be aware of your surroundings.

I live in FL just outside Orlando. 15 miles on an August afternoon on pavement and concrete that’s been baking in the sun all day is asking for an ambulance ride. Plan on a super early morning, using a treadmill or rearranging that week’s runs.

Unlike Disney there are tons of sidewalks on the main roads in and around Universal. It’s much more pedestrian friendly since it’s in a very touristy area and not isolated like Disney. Of course, just be aware of your surroundings.
Agreed. Plenty of sidewalks around Universal. Some busy roads so if you do not like waiting for traffic lights, map your route carefully.

As for BLT, you can do the Contemporary to TTC route counter clockwise. Go through the walking path to MK, past the MK gates to the GF path, over the new GF swing bridge and then follow the GF to Poly to TTC Path. It is about 3 miles. Unfortunately, you cannot complete the loop back to BLT as there is no path from TTC to BLT but obviously, you can circle back clockwise on the same route back to BLT.

It all depends on this bridge, lol ... if the gate is open, you have a nice route to the Poly/TTC and back!

1656368621095.png

Last year I was down there and did 13 miles on the West Orange Trail. I started in Winter Garden--parked at Winter Garden Station on Plant St. Was easily reachable from WDW and probably as easy from Universal. Good coffee stop & farmer's market afterwards in Winter Garden.

https://www.orangecountyfl.net/Port...ParksModule/docs/WOTPocketBrochure1_15Out.pdf
You might also check out routes on Map my Run.
Thank you! That's great info. I'll be in Orlando several times during my training period - thank you for posting this.

I live in FL just outside Orlando. 15 miles on an August afternoon on pavement and concrete that’s been baking in the sun all day is asking for an ambulance ride. Plan on a super early morning, using a treadmill or rearranging that week’s runs.

I second this. I'll be at Food & Wine festival in August and I have an 8 mile for Saturday and a 13 on Sunday as part of my training ... I'll be starting those at 0500 those days.

(realizing that I'm resurrecting a dead thread, sorry)

I second this. I'll be at Food & Wine festival in August and I have an 8 mile for Saturday and a 13 on Sunday as part of my training ... I'll be starting those at 0500 those days.

(realizing that I'm resurrecting a dead thread, sorry)

(It wasn't dead, I revived it ;))

Problem is, my 15-mile run is planned on the Sunday, and my flight into MCO arrives at 11:30. The easiest/sanest thing for me is to move it a day before, and do my shorter weekday runs very early like you.

(It wasn't dead, I revived it ;))

Problem is, my 15-mile run is planned on the Sunday, and my flight into MCO arrives at 11:30. The easiest/sanest thing for me is to move it a day before, and do my shorter weekday runs very early like you.
Yah -- I HATE it when I have to change the "plan" like that - but it happens.
We've got the July 4th 10k this coming Monday in Atlanta and I'm going to drop one of my two weekend runs so I don't over extend my fitness level.
The person who posted earlier about the West Orange Trail - looked that up - that'll be my new "go to" run area when I'm in Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter