Marathon Weekend 2021

I received my refund for the marathon today. I'm sad about that but now I'm waiting for Disney to call me back so I can give them their money back on a new AP for my DD.

They’re supposed to be shipped after the event date, so I’d expect late January through mid-February for receiving Marathon Weekend items.
I wish they would ship them before the event, so we could have our medals when we actually finish running the race (instead of immediately going in the shoebox...).

Will anyone wear the medals if they don’t get them until a month after running? They will still be nice to display. Since my medal hangar fell off the wall, I haven’t replaced it yet and all my medals are in a shoebox at the moment. 😂

I wish they would ship them before the event, so we could have our medals when we actually finish running the race (instead of immediately going in the shoebox...).

Will anyone wear the medals if they don’t get them until a month after running? They will still be nice to display. Since my medal hangar fell off the wall, I haven’t replaced it yet and all my medals are in a shoebox at the moment. 😂
Agreed on the early shipping. Granted, the Star Wars virtual half medals shipped very close to the planned date for the Star Wars Half. I'm running Star Wars next April (hopefully) and just might take some of my runDisney virtual medals especially if Star Wars goes virtual.

Agreed on the early shipping. Granted, the Star Wars virtual half medals shipped very close to the planned date for the Star Wars Half. I'm running Star Wars next April (hopefully) and just might take some of my runDisney virtual medals especially if Star Wars goes virtual.

Just speculation here, but I wonder if RunDisney has contracts with delivery dates for the medals and shirts. If so, I imagine they’re scheduled to be provided pretty close to the event date so as to minimize the need for storage space/time. Once manufacturing schedules have been established, they can be pretty hard, if not impossible, to move. They may not even have the medals and shirts in time to ship before the event date, at least for the in person events that have been converted to virtual.

Just speculation here, but I wonder if RunDisney has contracts with delivery dates for the medals and shirts. If so, I imagine they’re scheduled to be provided pretty close to the event date so as to minimize the need for storage space/time. Once manufacturing schedules have been established, they can be pretty hard, if not impossible, to move. They may not even have the medals and shirts in time to ship before the event date, at least for the in person events that have been converted to virtual.
That's a great point. As cool as it would be to have the medals in hand to enjoy after the virtual races, I understand that it may simply not be possible. It will come when it comes and I can enjoy it then.

They’re supposed to be shipped after the event date, so I’d expect late January through mid-February for receiving Marathon Weekend items.
Boy, that figures! I'll be in SSR in January, and the main reason I had signed up for the 5K in 2021 was to be able to display all the "Swag" from the run. So I will once again be medal-less onboard the Disney Transportation in 2021, but will have the package waiting for me when I return home....

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Halloween is at the end of the week, so for this week’s Sundays are for Disney, let’s talk race costumes/outfits. You have a few options:

- for those running the virtuals, are you planning on dressing up? If so, what?
- if you’ve worn costumes for past races, what have been your favorites?
- if you’ve never raced in a costume, what’s your favorite one you’ve seen someone else in?

I’ve run in some super hero compression tops, but my only outfit that felt like a costume was Mr. Incredible (muscles not included) for the 2019 and 2020 fulls. I like costumes because they can add another element to the spectator interaction and it makes it easier to find yourself in pictures.

I can’t think of a single favorite costume I’ve seen, but so many of them are so good. I’m most impressed by the runners in thick character onesies when it’s warm out.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD:
While I did take the he refund option for this weekend I’m still running Wine & Dine virtual
We plan to run the 10k in costume on Halloween — pre pandemic I purchased a Queen of Hearts costume at one of the outlets and plan to wear that..... for the 10k idk if I’ll wear a past costume or DisneyBound as sorcerer Mickey like I did two weeks ago at a local run

my favorite costume I’ve done hands down was Rodger Rabbit at last years W&D10k and a close second was Rapunzel which I did for 2017’s w&d 10k and rewore for a castaway cay fun run in 2018 & legoland’s brick dash in 2019

SAFD: I’ve worn a costume for every Disney race I’ve run. I always make my own, though I am far from an expert seamstress, and always run into complications. My favorites have been Jasmine and Ariel. I loved all the cheering and encouragement I got from such easily recognizable characters. I do NOT recommend running a half marathon in a wig on a hot day, however. (How could I be Ariel without the red wig? I don’t recommend the wig, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?)
The Queen of Hearts was another one that was fun, as was Elastigirl. My most recent one was Jane. The cast members in Animal Kingdom particularly liked that one.

Halloween is at the end of the week, so for this week’s Sundays are for Disney, let’s talk race costumes/outfits. You have a few options:

- if you’ve never raced in a costume, what’s your favorite one you’ve seen someone else in?

My favorite was running as the Fairy Godfather during the DL half several years ago. Pink tutu, blue hair, gold crown, gold scepter. Ended up having to sprint the last mile to beat some wise asses who ran by claiming they wouldn’t get beat by a guy in a tutu. :)

6B1BC963-10CA-4104-A2F6-02678013C431.jpeg

SAFD: I’m not a big costume person. The only time I’ve run in “costume” was at the inaugural SWDS races where I ran in Stormtrooper and Darth Vader tops. It didn’t really feel like running in costume, though, as they were UA compression tops. I just want to run in something comfortable and enjoy the environment.

I have seen some pretty impressive costumes on course at Disney races, though. My favorite has to be the guy who ran the marathon as Lumiere in a gold full body suit carrying what looked like full size cake carriers as his candlesticks. I think it was during one of the warm, humid marathons, as well. Quite impressive!

SAFD:
I don’t like to run in costumes, and if I am totally honest not big on costumes at other times. But I love looking at everyone else’s costumes! Two that I thought were cool, both at MW 2018. I saw this whole crew of people dressed up as Dalmatians and one person as Cruella Deville. I couldn’t count them all but am betting it was a 101. The other I saw was a group running with a model monorail on their shoulders. Best part was they had they monorail voice going; it was great!

SAFD: I love seeing all the costumes! I’m more of a Disney bounder here. My favorite was Captain Phasma. Black tank with her likeness, with a silver skirt and visor. For Donald’s half, I've worn a white skirt, blue top, yellow leggings, and blue cap, and for Mickey’s marathon, red and black skirt and top. Nothing elaborate, but it puts me in the spirit without going away from the comfortable running clothes arena.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

I am not dressing up for the virtuals.

Magicband, Donald, Panchito, and Anger are probably my favorite of runDisney past.

There are so many great ones that people do. I always am amazed by costumes I’d never even think of.

Favorite costume seen: Sweetums at the 5k in 2018.

For the runDisney races I have completed there’s have been no costumes, only a Minnie Mouse hat or visor. Last winter for a local 12k I wore a skirt with ornaments on it that dyed my fingers yellowish from the die. Bought 2 sparkle skirts for W&D, so they will stay packed up for a bit longer.

I can’t costume and run. No tags, nothing irritating, no chafing allowed. I don’t handle excess discomfort well.
That said, I love all the myriad Minnies running in their Minnie polka dotted skorts or whatever. Big Minnies. Little Minnies. I never realized how many there were until I had to find my family member, dressed as Minnie in a sea of them. Always makes me smile.

I've only run in costume once, in this year's half marathon, as Jack Kelly from Newsies. It's really hard to pick a favorite, I really love seeing some of the costumes people make. The guy dressed as the Beverly dispenser was really good.

Congrats to everyone who ran the New York virtual marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter