Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

After a lengthy hold, I finally got through and we were very lucky, we managed to score 4 seats home on Monday March 16 - AND we got to go on the WestJet Disney Frozen themed plane to boot!!

YAY!!!

At this point, I had to ridiculously take my son shopping to the outlet mall. I know it sounds crazy, but because my son had been at boarding school, and his whole wardrobe was there, he only had summer clothes and one pair of pants with him. No coat, or warm clothes...and he would be coming back to Toronto in March - which is NOT really spring by any stretch so.

EEK! Yes, he's gonna need some warmer stuff!!
I'm so sorry your trip was cut short, this has been such a colossal bummer for so many people. :(

We decided to go to the beach in Cocoa Beach instead. I know there were scenes of idiot young people all over beaches in Miami and FLL...thankfully...it was NOT like that at all. We kept our distance, got an umbrella, and sat there for a few hours of sunshine therapy.

See?! It IS possible to have some level of sanity in this. I mean, yes, the rest of us who understand and of course will do our best to keep our distance, are now not allowed to. It's ridiculous.

hey didn't actually ask that specifically but they asked where we came from and we said Orlando. Then they gave us a pamphlet about self quarantine and asked us to acknowledge that we are supposed to self quarantine for 14 days and did we understand. We said yes, and were on our way.

Interesting. I mean they can't keep people at the airport or anything, and there's no way to send people back, so I guess this is the best they can do.

And because he is a selfish teen...he only hears what he wants to hear. I basically had to threaten him that if he leaves the house other than to walk the dog, he will not be allowed back in because he is putting his family and community at risk. I am hoping that sunk in. For the rest of the week he has been staying in and relatively compliant, but now he rarely leaves his room. Oh well. I will take that.

OH how I get this. Very, very much.

but let's just say...he has some mental health issues and challenges which are the reason he has been in the US so long,
I try very hard not to share about my daughter either, not because of any stigma or whatnot, but she deserves her privacy. I totally understand though about reaching out here for support and a place to share or vent. I KNOW and understand, Kathy. If you want to talk, I am here. I think we have on some levels a lot in common in this area. PM me if you want to talk. :hug:

We got home and of course my 17 year old son wanted to go see friends. It's heartbreaking because he was been away at boarding school for a long time, and was desperate to see people. I really had to lay down the riot act for him - and yes, before anyone says it...I know he can be a vector and spread the disease etc, and I told him all that. And because he is a selfish teen...he only hears what he wants to hear. I basically had to threaten him that if he leaves the house other than to walk the dog, he will not be allowed back in because he is putting his family and community at risk. I am hoping that sunk in. For the rest of the week he has been staying in and relatively compliant, but now he rarely leaves his room. Oh well. I will take that. I haven't shared that much about my son here, but let's just say...he has some mental health issues and challenges which are the reason he has been in the US so long, first in treatment for mental health issues, and then at a mainstream boarding school, and we did not expect to have him home until at least a few more months...and we had hoped to have more of a plan for when that time came.....
That's such a tough situation and I feel so much for you. One of my twin boys suffers with anxiety and while things are going well right now, I worry about what all this upheaval will do to him. We had just got him in with a really great psychologist but I don't know yet if his office will remain open at this time or not.
But.....as we all know...mother nature had other plans for all of us!! So we are here...trying to make the best of it...my daughter is handling it pretty well. We have baked some cupcakes and done all kinds of things around the house that we have put off for years....and just trying to be grateful that this is happening now, when we have food, and heat and even companionship available to us online. It's still pretty lonely, but tolerable because of that.
I am trying to focus on positives.....I always stressed about not having enough time. Well now, I have an abundance of it. So I have projects I would like to do, books to read, music, time with my boys etc etc. I am focusing on daily yoga every day and find that really helps my mindset. And we have the Dis! So grateful for our little community here. :)
See?! It IS possible to have some level of sanity in this. I mean, yes, the rest of us who understand and of course will do our best to keep our distance, are now not allowed to. It's ridiculous.
I understand....it's too bad a few idiots had to ruin it for everyone else. All of our provincial parks are closed here until April 30 but thankfully our local trails are still open. At this point, I will take what I can get. One of my cousins lives in Paris and they are only allowed out for 20 minutes at a time in their own neighbourhood.

I try very hard not to share about my daughter either, not because of any stigma or whatnot, but she deserves her privacy. I totally understand though about reaching out here for support and a place to share or vent. I KNOW and understand, Kathy. If you want to talk, I am here. I think we have on some levels a lot in common in this area. PM me if you want to talk. :hug:

Thanks so much! This means a lot. I would love to chat sometime. Is it ok if I DM you on FB messenger or via email? I am not a fan of the PM on the DIS! I agree, I have got the feeling we have more in common as well!

Interesting. I mean they can't keep people at the airport or anything, and there's no way to send people back, so I guess this is the best they can do.

No they can't keep people at the airport. Although our borders with the US are now closed to all but essential trade they say. Not sure what they are actually doing AT the borders though. All flights from most places are stopped except those trying to repatriate Canadians.

Well now, I have an abundance of it. So I have projects I would like to do, books to read, music, time with my boys etc etc. I am focusing on daily yoga every day and find that really helps my mindset. And we have the Dis! So grateful for our little community here. :)

Yes I have been trying to do the same, but I am finding it really hard to concentrate on anything! I'm watching movies and stuff as a distraction, but so quickly it has happened that when I see people behaving normally on TV and movies, I think to myself "this isn't social distancing, why are they hugging and shaking hands?" It's weird. There was a funny SNL skit about this.

I understand....it's too bad a few idiots had to ruin it for everyone else. All of our provincial parks are closed here until April 30 but thankfully our local trails are still open. At this point, I will take what I can get. One of my cousins lives in Paris and they are only allowed out for 20 minutes at a time in their own neighbourhood.

Wow, I didn't hear that about Paris. That's crazy. Though I can see a lot of larger cities going this route because people are idiots and won't listen.

at MK, because other than US, that was the thing my mom really made the trip for - to go on IASW seriously and relive my childhood with me and her granddaughter.
awwww...
So, call us reckless...but we went to MK on Friday the 13th during a global pandemic.
What could go wrong? There were no signs, or anything!

:rolleyes1
.in WDW there always seems like hope and an escape from the real world so
::yes::
It's that Disney magic.
Of course Target was already out of toilet paper and sanitizers and looked a little picked over, but nothing too crazy.
Already! I didn't realize it was that fast.
we got to go on the WestJet Disney Frozen themed plane to boot!!
Talk about... mixed emotions. Here you're being forced to leave early, going back to who knows what... but you get the Frozen plane...
At this point, I had to ridiculously take my son shopping to the outlet mall. I know it sounds crazy, but because my son had been at boarding school, and his whole wardrobe was there, he only had summer clothes and one pair of pants with him.
Ah. Well, that definitely had to be done.
stayed away from everyone at the outlet mall, which was pretty dead by this point anyway, scored a great parking spot!!
What's the silver lining about a global pandemic? Less traffic. Great parking.

ahem
We decided to go to the beach in Cocoa Beach instead. I know there were scenes of idiot young people all over beaches in Miami and FLL...thankfully...it was NOT like that at all. We kept our distance, got an umbrella, and sat there for a few hours of sunshine therapy.
I'm not surprised it wasn't packed... yet.
We had to hide the dog again as we returned the rental car, but I don't think in these times anyone was watching too closely.
<bark!> <bark!>
"Keep the dog quiet!"
"I'm trying!"
"Hold the muzzle! With your hands!"
<merf!> <merf!>
We got home and of course my 17 year old son wanted to go see friends. It's heartbreaking because he was been away at boarding school for a long time, and was desperate to see people. I really had to lay down the riot act for him - and yes, before anyone says it...I know he can be a vector and spread the disease etc, and I told him all that. And because he is a selfish teen...he only hears what he wants to hear.
Oh, how I get this. We are not under quarantine (but asked to maintain social distancing, of course.)
Kay is still going to see her BF, but... she was all along (before COVID) so I figure as long as he and his mom are doing it, it's really like a slightly larger family, in two homes.
I haven't shared that much about my son here, but let's just say...he has some mental health issues and challenges which are the reason he has been in the US so long, first in treatment for mental health issues, and then at a mainstream boarding school, and we did not expect to have him home until at least a few more months...and we had hoped to have more of a plan for when that time came.....
:hug:

I sure hope that the social distancing and self isolation shows some effectiveness so that we can move towards normalcy sooner rather than later. I think an Epic trip would be a great thing to look forward to - has there been talk of any tentative dates?

Yes here's hoping!! I haven't seen anything about tentative dates...but then...I don't think anyone's ready to commit to any longer term travel plans just yet...I know I'm not. But I do have that AP that I'm gonna wanna use at least once more before sometime in Spring 2021...so...I do hope I get that chance...with any luck!!

Talk about... mixed emotions. Here you're being forced to leave early, going back to who knows what... but you get the Frozen plane...

Yup, that part was a little surreal. We're at the gate at the airport and all the kids were looking at the plane and excited about it. They had no idea how weird it all was. Also, it was a crazy feeling because they were actually trying to get everyone boarded and on the way earlier than the posted departure time. They started calling boarding over an hour before the flight was due to leave, and managed to leave the gate about 15 mins early.

<bark!> <bark!>
"Keep the dog quiet!"
"I'm trying!"
"Hold the muzzle! With your hands!"

Yeah we were pretty lucky that the dog is quiet. My mom and DD were kind of standing off to the side pretending not to know us as the rep from Budget looked over the car before sending us on our way. I don't think she even noticed the dog.

Oh, how I get this. We are not under quarantine (but asked to maintain social distancing, of course.)
Kay is still going to see her BF, but... she was all along (before COVID) so I figure as long as he and his mom are doing it, it's really like a slightly larger family, in two homes.

Yeah it's tough. That's good that Kay is able to safely see one friend. We have now made a deal with my son that he can go out for walks but can't go in any buildings or touch anyone. I have to trust that he is starting to see how serious this is. Really hope so. Still making him shower and change clothes as soon as he comes back. I hope that Trudeau gets tougher in the coming days though because I fear that people won't take it seriously enough if he doesn't.

Yup, that part was a little surreal. We're at the gate at the airport and all the kids were looking at the plane and excited about it. They had no idea how weird it all was.
Wow. Surreal is the right word.
My mom and DD were kind of standing off to the side pretending not to know us as the rep from Budget looked over the car before sending us on our way.
"Who, us? We're just waiting for a train..."
Yeah it's tough. That's good that Kay is able to safely see one friend.
For now. We just learned that his sister is coming home from BC. We told her she couldn't see him for 14 days after she gets home.
Well... she's an adult, so we didn't "tell" her, I suppose. More like "You know you can't see him then for 14 days."
She knew. She isn't happy about it (nor would anyone), but she gets it.
I hope that Trudeau gets tougher in the coming days though because I fear that people won't take it seriously enough if he doesn't.
I think he's doing pretty good so far. Much better than other leaders who will remain nameless...
But... I can definitely see a time quite soon where he will impose a national state of emergency as opposed to the provincial ones.

More like "You know you can't see him then for 14 days."
She knew. She isn't happy about it (nor would anyone), but she gets it.

Yeah that won't be easy. At least she gets it!

think he's doing pretty good so far. Much better than other leaders who will remain nameless...
But... I can definitely see a time quite soon where he will impose a national state of emergency as opposed to the provincial ones.

He is indeed doing much better than some others...I don't want to get too political on here...but man it is hard to stomach what comes out of some people's mouths on television! (and twitter). I do think that Trudeau will be forced to impose stricter measures because now they are seeing more evidence of community transmission and not just travel related...so obviously people are social distancing enough...I like that they are starting to call it "physical distancing" because that really says what it is!

Yeah that won't be easy. At least she gets it!
::yes::
I don't want to get too political on here...but man it is hard to stomach what comes out of some people's mouths on television! (and twitter).
No idea who you could be talking about.

:rolleyes2
I do think that Trudeau will be forced to impose stricter measures because now they are seeing more evidence of community transmission and not just travel related...so obviously people are social distancing enough...I like that they are starting to call it "physical distancing" because that really says what it is!
I think you're right. I went shopping today and... man, that's a weird experience now. But... I do see people staying away from each other. So that's good at least.

Thanks so much! This means a lot. I would love to chat sometime. Is it ok if I DM you on FB messenger or via email? I am not a fan of the PM on the DIS! I agree, I have got the feeling we have more in common as well!

:) I got your PM (FB) and will reply soon. Trying to get caught up here at least a teensy bit and then need to hit the sack. I didn't think I was working tonight again, but turns out I am. It's getting wearing working from midnight til 4:00am with my sleep being broken into 2 shorter chunks. Ugh.

No they can't keep people at the airport. Although our borders with the US are now closed to all but essential trade they say. Not sure what they are actually doing AT the borders though. All flights from most places are stopped except those trying to repatriate Canadians.

I guess repatriating Candians would fall into the 'essential travel' category. But, yeah, maybe driving to their relatives homes to care for them or just finding a new place to call home for a bit? No idea!

:) I got your PM (FB) and will reply soon. Trying to get caught up here at least a teensy bit and then need to hit the sack. I didn't think I was working tonight again, but turns out I am. It's getting wearing working from midnight til 4:00am with my sleep being broken into 2 shorter chunks. Ugh.

No worries!! Sleep is more important!! I can't imagine how exhausting that would be!! I worked night shifts once about 20 years ago and never felt fully rested...ugh.

No worries!! Sleep is more important!! I can't imagine how exhausting that would be!! I worked night shifts once about 20 years ago and never felt fully rested...ugh.
That's just it... ever really fully rested. Someday life might get back to normal...

Hi DisPeeps! How is everyone doing on today's episode of the Twilight Zone?

It has been exactly two weeks since we returned home from Florida. We have been in self quarantine since March 16. Today we switch from self quarantine to "stay the **** home" mode and physical distancing if we must go out. So really...not much has changed except that I can go to the grocery store if I need to, instead of waiting for the next online delivery window which is sure to be a good two weeks away. But ...I don't actually WANT to go to the store at all. I have a deliver supposed to arrived tomorrow...but I will have you know...I SUCK at meal planning!! I live within a 4 minute walk of one grocery store, and a 6 min walk of another one, and countless places to get prepared food. So in our normal existence...I do not have to think about more than 2-3 meals at a time. This trying to plan meals for 1-2 weeks at a time is for the birds!! I belong in a small town in Europe where shopping every day at little markets is the norm...ANYWAY...I'm learning to cope. That and with having my 17 year old back in the house who has not lived with me full time since 2018. Boy can that kid eat ALL THE CARBS. I keep thinking I'm stocking up on bread...and then it's gone again.

In Disney news...we have thankfully survived two weeks post-Disney vacay and hopefully this means not brought home any germs from there. I have to say I'm truly grateful for this because even under normal circumstances I often come home from Disney with some sort of cold. I'm grateful that my family is (so far) all healthy and especially that my 80 year old mom, who came with us for 2 theme park days March 12 and 13, is also still healthy and in self quarantine with my 87 year old dad.

Now that I know we are ok, I can look more fondly back at that vacay and have good memories. I got some actual smiling pictures of my teens. My mom got to go on IASW with her daughter and granddaughter, we got to chat with @chunkymonkey briefly but better than nothing! And we got to hang with some good friends. I think in light of everything, this vacation will be extra memorable because it will be the last one before the world changed! We don't really know how the changes will affect regular life just yet, but I have no doubt there will be life "before COVID" and "after COVID" with some real differences.

Anyway..on to some pics.

My DS (17) and I are in the second row. I love his face because even though it was a Frozen ride...he had never been on it and didn't know what he had gotten himself into!IMG_9228.jpeg

I will post this then come back with a few more...

Some more pics for your pleasure...

IMG_9279.jpeg

My son is so not thrilled by this...but he had never seen Magic Shots before hence had no idea why they asked him to hold up his arm lol

Here we are with @chunkymonkey Steve was there too but I think he offered to take the picture!!! Thanks Steve!! Great to see you Su-Lynn!!
IMG_9299.jpeg

This is one of my fave pics from the trip because my son is actually smiling! It was at US but still had to share! It's like when he saw the characters and there was no line, he forgot he was a surly teen for a sec and ran up to them. I was so happy I had the camera ready for that!

IMG_9440.jpeg

Man what I would do for this lunch right now!!! (adds tater tots and bacon and sour cream to next online grocery delivery order)

Last one for now - here's the whole gang in front of HM. I was sad that I only got to ride this twice on our trip....I can't get enough of the detail on this ride. But happy to have gotten this shot of everyone, plus the ride photos as well. I can't seem to figure out exactly when they take those....but next trip...I'm gonna ride this again and again until I know and can pose for it.
IMG_9447.jpeg

Yum - on the upside, when you make the tater tots at home in the oven you can get them nice and crispy and not feel so guilty! Glad you are all feeling well and are coping with the science fiction movie that we all seem to be extras in. Hopefully true spring weather and distancing with caution will keep us all healthy and allow us to slowly return to a more normal way of life. I haven't even been able to touch my granddaughter since March 6 now, really missing the baby snuggles. They only live 15 minutes away but being on the front line I just can't risk it right now. Fingers crossed for us all!

Yes! This is good news!! I will definitely be adding those on the next grocery list! Extra crispy is the best. Also, I want to work on making a good cheese sauce to poor on! Yes, some more spring like weather would be lovely, except I also fear that would make people go out more and make social distancing harder somehow? But hopefully not! Return to "normal" ....it's hard to even think what that will be like or if "normal" will have new meaning!! I'm so sorry about you not being able to be near your grandbaby!! I can't imagine how hard that would be. I haven't seen my parents for going on three weeks now and that has been so hard too. They keep wanting us to come over for dinner but I just think it's taking an unnecessary risk. Maybe if the weather gets warmer we can meet in a park and have a snack (that all of us brought from home) while social distancing.....it all just seems so ridiculous but I know...that is what is needed to stop this crazy virus...ugh. I can't imagine being in your shoes either - having to interact with the public all day. I may have to go to the pharmacy today and I'm not all that happy about that!! Good luck to you...I'm hoping that where you work is a safe environment and taking as many precautions as possible!!

This long road ahead combined with financial difficulties is going to be the breaking point for many people - how long we can keep this up? I am prepared for the long haul, and am very thankful for technology keeping me in touch with daily pictures of the little cutie. I think the hardest adjustment for me and my social circle is that we have never really had to deal with this kind of illness in our great health care and vaccinated world, and have been fortunate to never really every experience deprivation of any kind; we've always had food, material goods, and have never been separated from our families by anything, including war. Makes me really think of sacrifices that people had to make during WWII in many countries, and that puts things into perspective for me. Listening to Disney Parks music as I browse the internet helps too :)

Yes I hear you. We are so lucky to be able to afford to still buy food and what we need, and get it online too. I can't imagine going through this without internet - mine went out yesterday for about two hours and we all nearly lost our minds. And then my kids complain that we have no cheese in the house and it makes me lose my SH^& on them because it's like "we are lucky we can even afford to get food" and then my daughter goes and orders a bathing suit online...and I'm like "where and when are you planning on swimming?" *** lol. I guess we are all coping in our own ways!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!