March Madness . . . Disney Style

4My3KGirls

Mouseketeer
After making several trips to both WDW and DL many years ago, this will be our first family trip back since March 13-20, 2010 . . . 10 YEARS AGO! So much as changed, not only at the parks, but with the planning process as well. For DD12 and DD10 this will essentially feel like a first ever trip since they were aged 2 and 6 mos. the last time we went. In addition, the new Fantasyland at MK, Toy Story Land, and Galaxy's Edge at HS, Frozen Ever After and updated TT will all be new experiences for us. So on to the madness . . .

Starting Five: DH46 (Me), DW47, DD17, DD12, and DD10
Dates: March 20-27, 2020
Resort: Port Orleans - Riverside (Alligator Bayou) with Standard Disney Dining Plan

The Game Plan:

Friday, March 20

As if heading to WDW over Spring Break weren't crazy enough, we will be driving from just outside Chicago, and plan on leaving in the early
evening and driving straight through overnight. (Because, why not?!)

Saturday, March 21
We anticipate arriving to the Orlando area in the early afternoon and checking in to our offsite hotel. After some time to nap in the room or by the pool, we will probably head over to Fantasia Gardens for a round of mini golf to get things started, then over to Disney Springs for dinner (TBD) and possibly bus from there over to Yacht/Beach club for dessert at Beaches and Cream and catch a glimpse of Epcot Forever from the pathways around YBC and Boardwalk. All dependent on how rested we feel, because we jump right into the madness on Sunday.

Sunday, March 22
DHS Day 1, early wake up call at the offsite hotel to get on the road to DHS by 6:00 AM (8:00 Opening). My guess is that it will just be myself, DD12, and DD10 making this early morning journey on this day. DW and DD17 aren't big Star Wars fans and will likely prefer to sleep in rather than go try for boarding groups. Depending on crowd level when we arrive, we will select something to rope drop while waiting for park opening and boarding pass release time. I anticipate that after our RD ride (or two if we go towards ToT and RnRC), we will head to see if we can get still get a late afternoon / early evening Jedi Training session for DD12 and DD10. Once that is all done, we will head back to check out of the offsite hotel and get anyone that wasn't up to the early AM, and head back for our FP+ at DHS for the day. We have RnRC at 11:55, ToT at 12:55, and SDD at 3:10. We do not have any TS reservations for this day, as when we were initially planning we didn't know exactly when we would be arriving. Hoping we will be able to bump up SDD, but not optimistic. After SDD it will be off to get settled in at Port Orleans, rest / pool time, and dinner at the resort before heading back to DHS for EMH.

Monday, March 23
Another early day, this time for EMH at AK. We weren't able to get FP+ for FoP, so that is the morning goal for everyone. After FOP, we hope to get Dinosaur and maybe EE in before our 9:40 ADR at Tusker House for Donald's Dining Safari Breakfast. After breakfast we have our FP+ run or EE at 10:45, Na'vi at 12:00 and Kilmanjaro Safaris at 1:00. Following that a mix for whatever FP+ we can grab, plus for sure see FotLK and FN. Flame Tree BBQ for dinner and will likely end the night getting in line for another ride on FoP right before park close.

Tuesday, March 24
EMH night at Epcot. We plan on park arrival about 8:15 and heading to RD Frozen and then backtrack to TT. FP+ for this day are Soarin' at 9:30, M:S at 10:30, and SE at 11:35. We currently have Teppan Edo ADR for 2:50, but I am hoping I can push that into the dinner hour so that we can head back to the resort for some downtime before coming back for the evening. Our CS meal for the day will likely be Regal Smokehouse. Looking forward to using snack credits on some of the special offerings for Flower & Garden Festival and DD17 is very much looking forward to using just snapping photos at all the neat floral arrangements around the park.

Wednesday, March 25
Finally hitting up the MK. For RD we hope to get to SDMT, Space Mtn, and BLSS before our 10:10 ADR for Breakfast at Be Our Guest. Following breakfast we have our FP+ run of BTMRR at 10:20 (will obviously get there closer to the 11:20 end of our window), Splash Mtn at 11:25, and JC at 12:25. Optimistic for 4th FP+ and beyond for HM, PotC, and character greetings, depending on timing of those we hope to had back for down time at Port Orleans mid-afternoon. Dinner will be at DW favorite, Liberty Tree Tavern with 6:40 ADP, then its a late night with EMH extending our day until Midnight.

Thursday, March 26
The madness continues as we all head for DHS Day 2 by 6:00 AM and attempt to once again get ROTR boarding groups. RD will likely be MFSR, as that is the Tier 1 that we didn't elect for FP+ over the two days we are at this park. However if we didn't get DD12 and DD10 to do Jedi Training on Sunday, this might be a priority today. Its a jam packed day . . . FP+ are TSM at 9:40, RnRC at 10:45, and MMRR at 11:50. We have Minnie's Seasonal Dine at Hollywood & Vine with Fantasmic! package ADR at 12:40, DD10 building her droid at 1:55, DD12 visiting Savi's at 2:45, and a drink at Oga's at 3:20. After all that, DW and DD17 will actually have to be back at PO by around 6:00 to make an early end to their trip by boarding the Magical Express for a flight back to Chicago at 9:45 PM. DD17 has a event back home that wasn't planned until after we had scheduled our trip, making their early departure necessary.

Friday, March 27
With only myself, DD12, and DD10 left, we will end our stay with MK Day 2. After loading up the car and checking out of PO, the RD target will be BTMRR and Splash, followed by FP+ for Space Mtn at 9:40, SDMT at 11:00, and PP at 12:10. We have brunch at Chef Mickey's scheduled at 12:50, so we will likely be at PP by 12:05 to get those make sure we get to the Comtemporary on time! Following brunch we don't have a set departure time, going to kind of play it by ear depending on crowds and how much the week has taken out of us. We only have to get back toward home as far as Gainesville on this day, so anything from 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM departure is possible. We'll finish the final 14--15 hours home starting early Saturday AM.

Its going to be a whirlwind, and I am sure I will need a vacation from my vacation when we get home, but with DD17 going to heading off to college in a little over a year, this might be the last shot we get to do this as a complete family before that happens. I am hoping to try to do daily updates to this thread at the end of each day or maybe recap the previous day while waiting at the parks for RD in the mornings. Wish us luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!