Married to a Non-Disney Fan

Economy does not help...

I guess it depends on where you live. Since I live in Canada my Disney holiday either requires a plane ride or a long drive; both can eat up your money. When it's just DH and I it's a toss up which is the better deal since it just really becomes a time issue.

I've been on Mexican vacations that end up costing the same or less than Disney. And trips to Europe with good planning don't have to cost an arm and a leg. Once my DH and I flew to Manchester and traveled all over the UK and only stayed at working farm Bed and Breakfasts. My only caveat was the B and B's had to be at least 300 years old! That was an absolutely awesome trip, we saw all the chalk horses, tons of old castles, creepy/beautiful moors, visited the most amazing seaside villages, etc.

We went to one pub in the south of England that reminded us of the scene in the pub in An American Werewolf in London - the locals were so strange and suspicious, as soon as we walked through the door all conversation stopped. Maybe they were just messing with our heads!

Sorry for your dilemma. To entice her, consider what type of experience your wife prefers when you two go on vacation as a couple. If she enjoys a more climate controlled, visually stunning, unique dining experience.....plan those into your itinerary. Some suggestions include: avoid the oppressive heat of summer, stay on property so you can return to the hotel if she gets fatigued or you can't avoid summer, Disney has 5 seasons which will vary in visitor volume and price- lower seasons are easier to navigate as in shows, rides etc., research other things to do like shopping, events like Food and Wine festival, behind the scenes tours, fishing, golfing, snorkeling/scuba diving, night life etc. The beauty of Disney is there are so many things to do and experiences to be had. I recommend starting with what you like to do as a couple then customize your trip accordingly. At the end of the day, it's about the connection and memories that you and your wife will share.....Disney just happens to be the backdrop. Good luck!

You really can't blame someone who does not like Disney. After all, you do wait in lines more than anything, it can be very crowded, and other than a few months of the year, it is sweltering. However, I've been able to show many Disney Haters how they can learn to enjoy it.

First of all, whatever you do - don't go commando. Just hit the parks a few hours a day and the rest of the time enjoy the pool, restaurants and bars. Also, find some other things outside of the world to do. There are tons of great things to do around the area. Beachs and deep sea fishing are 1.5 hrs away on each coast. There are airboat swamp tours. The Winter Park area has some first class shopping and dining, plus museums. Take in a Magic or Predator's game. Baseball training camps are scattered throughout Florida. ETC.

Second, if summer is your only option, go early. Or if the DH (Disney Hater) likes to sleep in, go late in the evening. Pace yourself, use FP, and only hit 2 or 3 main attractions. Make sure to plan to avoid walking much and hit lots of Air Conditioned rides and shows. Tailor the attractions to your DH's likes.

I find most all DH's end up liking EPCOT - especially world showcase. Each country has interesting food items and drinks and EPCOT always feels the least crowded.

Don't forget all the other great things Disney has to offer other than the 4 parks - golf, Petty racing, water mice, ESPN area, Disney Quest, shopping, and the water parks (you don't even have to go one any slides to enjoy just sitting near some water in the sand and having a few beers).

My DH isn't a fan either. Disney was always this fantasy vacation for me. Something the rich and popular kids got to do on summer vacation. When I married my husband his mother paid for us to go Thanksgiving weekend. It was crowded wall to wall people. My husband remembers driving 10 hours 72 hours of crowds and line and 10 more hours driving. But he promised when our youngest child turned 5 we could go back. it was 10 years before we go to go back. I planned the dream vacation. But DH still hated it. even with moderate crowds and my extensive touring plan.
Fast forward to present day 3 Disney trips and one universal trip later. DH has agreed to buy DVC. Either he realizes I'm not going to get over the Disney obsession or I have just finally wore him down but he is on board.
We dont vacation separate, He gets 4 weeks of vacation a year, 3 weeks are usually his "hang out at home and veg out vacations" and 1 week is for me. I like to go places and do things. I dont want to sleep late or read a book on vacation so he sucks it up and deals with my idea of vacation on my week and I deal with his idea of vacation on his weeks.

We are embarking for the happiest place on earth on Jan 29. I have not been since 2002 but have been previously 11 times. My family ALWAYS went on vacation. My husband is an engineer and a wonderfully quantifiable guy. Needless to say Disney is not at the top of his list. My daughter is four and I have breathed Disney to her since she was a baby. We are taking her and my father. I am REALLY nervous. I hope he has a good time. I have dinning reservations and all my FP+. We will be celebrating our tenth anniversary at Tokyo dining hopefully with a view of illuminations. I have tried to plan the trip with him in mind as much as possible, but our baby girl is going to be the star of the show. Wish us luck if he has a good time maybe I will get to go back someday. Growing up my family was not always stable, but at Disney we were always a happy family. To say I have a sentimental attachment would be a huge understatement. I have Disney in the blood.

Glass Slipper Girl - what kind of an engineer is he? I'm an engineer and love looking at all the ride mechanics (at least the ones you can see). Its a different viewpoint than what most people are taking, but it could help make things more interesting for him.

My wife isn't a big Disney fan either but its okay. Do I wish she were more into it? Sure but it's all good. For me, Central Florida is home as I was born and raised there and most of my fondest childhood memories are those involving WDW. Plus she can't stand the heat. She's a native NYC'er so a little weak when it comes to the weather back home.

As a teacher, which I neglected to mention, my travel times are limited to Feb, April, and Christmas breaks, or summer. I want to go back in April in 2016.

Our slowest crowd trip was February. We've done October, Dec, Jan. Feb, Sept. and Aug.

And I feel your pain a little. DH tires of the money we spend on it, and would be happy not going again, but I'm lucky in that he very much enjoys the park when he's there.

I've done trips alone and with my DD only. I don't know if that's an option for you. Maybe find another couple that likes to go and do a couples trip.

Some friends of mine are in a similar situation as the original poster. He is not a Disney fan, she is. They have never taken their kids to Disney.... ever.

Instead, they go to Arizona to watch spring break baseball training. I'm sure the wife and 2 daughters enjoy the sun and shopping, but I know baseball is not their thing.

I suggested Florida to them as a happy compromise, but he won't bend. They have major league spring training and Disney World.

my husband isn't big on disney but we've gone 4 years in a row because he knows how much me and our daughter like it.

Over the years he has grown to enjoy it more now that he isn't overwhelmed and we know the parks more.

I've also learned to compromise. I know he hates crowds and the heat so the past few years we went in november/ december when it was cooler and less crowded. That made a difference for him. He also likes Epcot and the conveinance of the epcot resorts so I let him pick the resort. I guess he should have a say in part of it!!

This year we are going in September so I hope I don't ruin it for myself by picking a hot month!

maybe she would enjoy more of the air conditioned sit down rides and taking it slow with more resort time. Good luck!!

My husband another non-Disney fan. But once he's there he LOVES it lol so for me it's just a matter of (a) not talking about it too much on the lead up to the trip and (b) not saying I TOLD YOU SO when we get there ;-):cool1: It was fine when it was just the two of us, we did 2 disney trips over the years but now that we have two daughters who are Disney-obsessed he's kind of out numbered!:cheer2:

Glass Slipper Gal,
Has your husband been to WDW before, or is this his first time?

You're smart to come in January/February - the temperatures are pleasant and crowds are lower in general, so that should all be good! You're also smart to plan well.

A couple things that might help:
1. Really think through what your dh might like the best, what kind of person he is, etc. and be certain he gets some things that make it feel like a vacation to him. It might be worth it to plan a sleep in day if he likes to do that, or a swim day if he likes to just hang out, or a golf day, etc. etc. depending upon his hobbies and likes.
2. Don't stress yourself out trying to get it all in! You'll have more fun if you're not afraid to deviate from your plan if something more fun is happening, or if somebody needs to do something different.

We recently had my MIL here to visit us, and on her last trip to WDW with some other family members, she really did not have a good time. They came in July, stayed off-site and tried to go commando, spending hours on buses every day, dragging tired, overstimulated grandkids around the parks til late at night, etc. And she is a person who tires easily. So, when she came to do Disney with us, we didn't plan much at all: an afternoon to stroll around Epcot leisurely and have lunch, an afternoon at Fort Wilderness visiting the horses, having dinner and going on a horse & buggy ride, an afternoon seeing the bird show and watching some animals at AK. She had the time of her life and kept saying, "Now I see why you love it here!"

So remember: Sometimes Less is More :)

Also, I get it about the family memories! I hope you have a magical time!

My wife can't stand the idea of going back... I'm afraid that it has to do with the fact that her first time was when she was 5 months pregnant.

She did love our honeymoon which was on Celebrity Cruise Line... and she would not mind going on a cruise again.

I'm thinking about combining a few days in Orlando with a cruise? Possibly out of Port Canaveral. Just a little nervous that if I do a Disney cruise it maybe a little over the top for her after she enjoyed the mature sophistication of Celebrity.

My husband always says "I used to think I was a Disney fan - but then I met you. You take it to another level!" Having said that, every time we plan a Disney vacation (either coast) I ask him to tell me what his priorities are. (I do the same thing with our 9 year old.) As long as he gets to do something he REALLY wants to do, he's a happy camper. I'm lucky.

We're going in Feb. and my DH is not a huge Disney fan. I picked February due to the weather (cooler) and the crowds aren't as terrible as the summer months. I also chose a hotel without extensive Disney theming (Coronado Springs) because he would be overwhelmed by non-stop Disney. He loves good food, so I have booked several ADR's in cool restaurants that I know he'll love.

That being said, Disney will not be an every-year vacation for us. He really wants to go to Maine, so our next trip will probably be up to Acadia State Park. We go to lots of different places, and sometimes we get to go to Disney (usually in California rather than WDW).

I wonder if you could try to do a combo trip - going to Disney for just 3-4 days, then spending the rest of the week in Clearwater or on the gulf coast at a beach resort?

MY DH is also not a fan of Disney vacations. I made him go to WDW with me and another couple about a year after we were married, and he's been to DLR with me and DS two years ago, but all of my other Disney vacations since we met have been without him. We still take vacations together to places we both like, but I have a separate savings account for my Disney fund where I squirrel away extra money from taking care of the neighbors' dogs or other things like that. I enjoy doing Disney with friends who also love it rather than worrying about DH, and he loves that I don't make him come with me! :rotfl:

He has said that he wouldn't mind spending a day at Epcot again, and there are a couple restaurants at DLR that he liked (the expensive ones, of course;)), but otherwise he'd prefer to avoid Disney trips. Also on the plus side, it doesn't take me as long to save up for trips if it's just myself and DS!

Sometimes I do wish he liked it as much as I do, but I've found friends that share my love for Disney vacations of all kinds, and so far I've got DS on my side. :)

Each to their own IMHO. The parks, when full and it is hot, are not everyone's idea of a dream vacation. Personally, I am just helplessly hooked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter