Masks and Naps and Strollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
Please know my 2 year old wears a masks to school, and all activities, I have zero issue with the mask rule.

However she still naps, and we usually push for nap time in the stroller. If I put her in the stroller I am assuming we can take her mask off to get her to nap?

Typing this out seems like a ridiculous questions as it’s pretty dangerous for a child to nap in a mask, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this.

You may want to be safe and pull over to a bench or a mask rest area when she’s napping. There is a chance that CMs may tell you to have her mask on if you’re pushing her around while she’s napping.
I usually pull over and have a Starbucks while she naps so that wouldn’t be to big of a change

That's a great question. One online chat CM told me they had to wear masks in strollers at all times, even when I asked about napping. Another online CM said they could remove their mask when actively eating in the stroller, but I didn't ask about napping. Interested in hearing the official policy.

You can always use a relaxation station, if she needs her mask off to fall asleep.

To get her to sleep we usually need to walk, so I’m thinking about that. Once she is asleep I usually find a spot to sit and relax anyway.

If it’s not an option, we will have one parent leave with her if necessary.

Last edited:
I saw a sleeping older child, maybe 4 or 5, in the MK this week. She had no mask in her stroller but the thing that drew a cast member to come over to the bench was mom and dad took their masks off and had no food. The CM was very kind and suggested a relaxation station which the parents seemed to like. I was wondering if he would have come over if it was just the child.

What if you cover the stroller with a thin blanket? Several benefits:

- It'll keep the sun off her.
- It'll reduce outside stimuli that might keep her awake /place her in a small cocoon.
- No one can see whether she's wearing a mask or not.
- The blanket will essentially operate as a mask -- just further away from her face.

Like everything, this will work best if you PRACTICE AT HOME. Get her good and exhausted, then take her for a long walk with the blanket over the top of the stroller -- make it a habit, let her see this is a good way to nap.

What if you cover the stroller with a thin blanket? Several benefits:

- It'll keep the sun off her.
- It'll reduce outside stimuli that might keep her awake /place her in a small cocoon.
- No one can see whether she's wearing a mask or not.
- The blanket will essentially operate as a mask -- just further away from her face.

Like everything, this will work best if you PRACTICE AT HOME. Get her good and exhausted, then take her for a long walk with the blanket over the top of the stroller -- make it a habit, let her see this is a good way to nap.

Great ideas! We have done the blanket before, that all depends on her mood, she is a strong willed one, she refused to take her mask off at lunch earlier cause her food wasn’t served yet..🤷🏻‍♀️

I would do any of the above suggestions and maybe put a clip on fan on her and put the cover or blanket over her after she is asleep if you want to walk around. If the stroller has a big sunshade you could prob use that. I doubt anyone would say anything about a sleeping 2 yr old. An older child possibly.

Curious, why is it "dangerous" to have a child nap with a mask on?

My understanding is a child especially a 2 year old could have trouble breathing with the mask on while sleeping. This is from reading my states guidance on masks for children in day care centers. Happy to be proven wrong.

I just started to let her sleep with a pillow for fear of suffocating.

Use those strollers where you can "close the lid" and then unless someone is trying to peek inside then it's all good. Or it it's a more upright stroller have a light blanket you can toss over it as a "sunshade" cover. If anyone were to have a problem with that tell them to mind their own business.

Use those strollers where you can "close the lid" and then unless someone is trying to peek inside then it's all good. Or it it's a more upright stroller have a light blanket you can toss over it as a "sunshade" cover. If anyone were to have a problem with that tell them to mind their own business.

Unfortunately, people that don't comply with the requirements / recommendations become everyone's business because of the virus. I wouldn't confront anyone directly over this but depending on the situation, notifying a CM is not out of the question. I think the best recommendation here is to take the child to one of the designated relaxation areas so that they can nap without a mask and not violate the rules.

Please know my 2 year old wears a masks to school, and all activities, I have zero issue with the mask rule.

However she still naps, and we usually push for nap time in the stroller. If I put her in the stroller I am assuming we can take her mask off to get her to nap?

Typing this out seems like a ridiculous questions as it’s pretty dangerous for a child to nap in a mask, but just wondering if anyone has experienced this.
If you have a beach towel to clip to the stroller, you know for good shade, whos to bother her while she's sleeping?

Unfortunately, people that don't comply with the requirements / recommendations become everyone's business because of the virus. I wouldn't confront anyone directly over this but depending on the situation, notifying a CM is not out of the question. I think the best recommendation here is to take the child to one of the designated relaxation areas so that they can nap without a mask and not violate the rules.
Original poster here, just want to be clear, I am not trying to avoid the rules, just trying to understand them.

Original poster here, just want to be clear, I am not trying to avoid the rules, just trying to understand them.

If you are trying to abide by the rules, a mask must be worn at all times unless eating or drinking while stationary or in a relaxation station for anyone person 2 or older. Strolling a child 2 and older to fall asleep(and I empathize we had to stroll our daughter until almost 4!!!) without a mask is against the rules. Technically even sleeping with the mask off is against the rules unless in the relaxation station.

Will a CM remove a blanket draped over the carriage while they are sleeping with no mask? Nope. But it is breaking the rules.

Last edited:
If you are trying to abide by the rules, a mask must be worn at all times unless eating or drinking while stationary or in a relaxation station for anyone person 2 or older. Strolling a child 2 and older to fall asleep(and I emphasize we had to stroll our daughter until almost 4!!!) without a mask is against the rules. Technically even sleeping with the mask off is against the rules unless in the relaxation station.

Will a CM remove a blanket draped over the carriage while they are sleeping with no mask? Nope. But it is breaking the rules.

I find it shocking that a mask while sleeping is required, but if it’s the rules so be it. I won’t have her sleep with a mask, so we will probably take her else where to nap

I find it shocking that a mask while sleeping is required
It's no so much that WDW requires a mask while sleeping, but just that the rules don't specifically identify sleeping as an activity done in the parks. Yes, we all know many young children nap in strollers, but a rule becomes a slippery slope -- at what age do they have a cut-off for "allowed" to nap, there's always grandpa who catches forty winks on a bench while waiting for the family to ride.

The only exceptions stated within the rules are eating/drinking while stationary and within the relaxation zones.

I find it shocking that a mask while sleeping is required, but if it’s the rules so be it. I won’t have her sleep with a mask, so we will probably take her else where to nap

This is the extent of the policy. Disney has to be careful not to leave open any loose ends or it gets complicated for them quickly. Again I don't think a CM is going to peak under your bassinets blanket. But if they saw a sleeping toddler without a mask they might very well say something. Medically speaking you don't stop exhaling just because you're asleep! The risk is still there.

Face Coverings
Face coverings are required for all Guests (ages 2 and up) and Cast Members. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming. You may remove your face covering while actively eating or drinking, but you should be stationary and maintain appropriate physical distancing.

All face coverings (whether disposable or reusable) must:

• Be made with at least 2 layers of breathable material
  • Fully cover the nose and mouth and secure under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
At this time, based on guidance from health authorities, neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas and face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind are not acceptable face coverings.
Costume masks are also not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.
The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter