Masks and Naps and Strollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, people that don't comply with the requirements / recommendations become everyone's business because of the virus. I wouldn't confront anyone directly over this but depending on the situation, notifying a CM is not out of the question. I think the best recommendation here is to take the child to one of the designated relaxation areas so that they can nap without a mask and not violate the rules.

This isn't about someone walking around without a mask (which is an obvious violation of the current rules), this is a small child, sleeping under a blanket or other covering to the point that no one can even see the face of the child cause it's "covered". I can't fathom reporting something like this to a CM, my job is to enjoy my vacation, not try and overly enforce rules on other guests. There are CMs doing that already.

My understanding is a child especially a 2 year old could have trouble breathing with the mask on while sleeping. This is from reading my states guidance on masks for children in day care centers. Happy to be proven wrong.

I just started to let her sleep with a pillow for fear of suffocating.
I thought they used to say kids should be 18 months or 2 years before sleeping with a blanket, so I am with you that I don't want my kids sleeping with fabric directly covering their mouth and nose.

If we get lunch during naptime and are seated at quick-service dining with the adults eating, would a child sleeping in the stroller have to wear a mask since they are not actively eating or drinking? We thought that might be an option, but now I am not sure.

My three year old stuck her thumb in her mouth and fell asleep with the mask covering her face. She was so tired it didn’t even phase her.

My one time with the masks where I was like, seriously?, was when it poured in the Magic Kingdom. There was easily six inches of standing water, people crowded, and we decided to just get wet and head to the bus. i had a poncho on, carried bags, pushed a stroller with my kid (who, believe it or not, fell asleep), in a torrential downpour, Sloshing my feet through a huge amount of standing water, and a cast member from a store, safely dry under the awning, wanted me to bring my mask over my nose! It was soaked!

FWIW, when my 10 month old naps at the park, we put the cover down all the way and you can only see his feet. We also have to walk around to get him to fall asleep, which I've done in the area next to the America pavilion at Epcot and on the far side of Tomorrowland near Carousel of Progress. I walk in circles and there's usually nobody there, and if there is it's easy to stay distanced.

Our friends just came back... They took their grand-kids for a long weekend...

She said that with the double stroller... they used the comfort/relaxation stations, she said for some reason, it seems when people go into the restroom that they take off their mask for some reason... so they only used either the family restrooms or the baby rooms/ stations, when changing them... and found a few out of the way spots in the shade and there was no one else around them, so still social distancing and let them sleep/nap, with like breathable mesh sun protection covering, and fan on each of them... one is only like 12 months and the other is just shy of 2 by a couple of months... She did tell me that her and her DH wore the masks if they we not eating or drinking while they slept... She said several cast member passed them and no one said anything to them... just waved and walked on...

Will a CM remove a blanket draped over the carriage while they are sleeping with no mask? Nope. But it is breaking the rules.
Disagree. The blanket IS covering the child's face -- along with the rest of the child -- it just isn't immediately on top of the child's face. The child isn't breathing on anyone else.

This isn't about someone walking around without a mask (which is an obvious violation of the current rules), this is a small child, sleeping under a blanket or other covering to the point that no one can even see the face of the child cause it's "covered". I can't fathom reporting something like this to a CM, my job is to enjoy my vacation, not try and overly enforce rules on other guests. There are CMs doing that already.

I said that depending on the situation I would contact a CM and let them handle it. Personally I would not contact a CM if I saw a toddler sleeping unmasked in a stroller. However, if there was an unmasked older child (we've all seen kids that are almost 10 and still using a stroller at Disney), I might ask a CM to remind the parents that masks are required. CMs don't always see the violations and this simply helps them do their jobs.

As expected this has gone into a mask debate that can't be won.
The op got some suggestions and responses so closing this

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter