May 2019 Car Rental Thread

alc571

DIS Veteran
I didn't see one when searching. Starting to watch the numbers now, but holy cow they're crazy! We only book with Alamo, so hoping some great discounts come out between now and May!

I keep looking at car rental for our Feb. 2019 trip. BUT... since we're staying at DS we decided to take the DS bus to the parks, rather than pay for car, plus hotel parking, plus $22/day for parking at the parks. Just doesn't make sense for us. And we are used to public transportation where we live.

I keep looking at car rental for our Feb. 2019 trip. BUT... since we're staying at DS we decided to take the DS bus to the parks, rather than pay for car, plus hotel parking, plus $22/day for parking at the parks. Just doesn't make sense for us. And we are used to public transportation where we live.

That's one benefit to owning or renting DVC points.. no parking fees! My husband refuses to take a bus on vacation. He says we don't take one in real life - we're not taking one on vacation :car:

So far I have a full size reserved with Alamo out of Sanford from 5/24-5/31. The starting out price is 317.96 with hopes of it dropping by the time we leave. I started out high back in January and ended with a price of 138.42.

The prices are high! I just booked a mid-sized SUV from May 9-19 for $568...and that is using the Costco Canada code and a $25 coupon code. Let's hope it drops a lot!

Alamo, Full-size 24 May to 2 Jun - $494 thru Costco. Yikes!

I have been checking frequently on Costco and have a standard size at $477 and a mini-van at $590 for our 24 May - 2 Jun trip. Those prices were from about a month ago. I have not seen any prices lower than the current prices since then. There are 11 of us and we need two vehicles - hoping to snag another mini-van with the standard reservation.

I check daily (insane, I know) and still holding my best rate through Costco for a minivan for $385 for 5/18 - 5/24. Started at $434. Today, it's back up in the low $400s.

Rates have come down a bit for my dates (May 4th through 11th inclusive). I now have a larger vehicle for a cheaper price: currently $368 for Standard SUV. Booked through Costco.

I check daily (insane, I know) and still holding my best rate through Costco for a minivan for $385 for 5/18 - 5/24. Started at $434. Today, it's back up in the low $400s.
Stop doing that. I use autoslash. You put in your rental info, they e-mail you when they find a better price. I've saved hundreds using the website on multiple occasions.

Stop doing that. I use autoslash. You put in your rental info, they e-mail you when they find a better price. I've saved hundreds using the website on multiple occasions.

With all due respect, checking rates daily is a perfectly acceptable way to snag a price drop. I've also saved hundreds on our Orlando rentals (and we've been renting vehicles from MCO multiple times per year since 2012) and I've never needed Autoslash.

I'm glad you've found a site that works for you, but it's not the "only way". Quite honestly, I'll avoid any system that's going to send me a whole bunch of emails (my inbox is full enough!!), especially when we will go with a Costco rental virtually 100% of the time simply for the free extra driver. It takes less than five minutes a day to run rates on the Costco site to see if prices have dropped.

The only time Autoslash sends you anything is when they find a better price. I like it because I don't have to find the best price; any reservation will do as a starting point. Another place to look; the deals Autoslash frequently finds are on Priceline.

Between the crazy rental car ($515 Costco for midsize) and flight prices ($649 total for 2 for SW) and resort parking fees for our dates May 11-23 we will be driving from Dallas/Fort Worth area. DH does not care for the buses plus we are also going to Universal on two different days. It's just the two of us so I'm sure it will be fine. We have done it before. Oh, but I love those direct SW flights! We have made the decision. But I keep checking flight and rental car prices anyway on the daily. I think we would be open to Lyft around town but not with paying high airfares too.

Between the crazy rental car ($515 Costco for midsize) and flight prices ($649 total for 2 for SW) and resort parking fees for our dates May 11-23 we will be driving from Dallas/Fort Worth area. DH does not care for the buses plus we are also going to Universal on two different days. It's just the two of us so I'm sure it will be fine. We have done it before. Oh, but I love those direct SW flights! We have made the decision. But I keep checking flight and rental car prices anyway on the daily. I think we would be open to Lyft around town but not with paying high airfares too.

Yeah, well what a difference a night makes :rolleyes1 We now have flights booked. Nope the price didn't go down. In fact it went up when I added Early Bird, but I think DH can stand a few bus rides if it means he doesn't have to drive for like 20 hours. With parking fees I am not sure how low the rental prices will need to be before I pull the trigger on that. Hopefully the prices will go way down!

Our rental is down by another $25 this week. We are now sitting at $343 taxes included for an 8 day rental of a Standard SUV with a free second driver (Alamo, via Costco).

My rate dropped today via Costco/Alamo. I have a mini van booked for 5/18 - 5/24 for $377.80. Still checking daily for something better!

I just booked a standard car with Alamo for $289, 5/5-5/14. Decent rate, but hopefully it’ll drop a bit more.

Alamo Costco rate 361 for a mini van booked this morning.. Hoping for a price drop but its been so long I have no idea what a great price actually is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts