** May 2020 Check In **

Everyone has been added up to this point!

I've added the Food and Wine Festival to the May Happenings section, as well as a link to the DCA Food & Wine 2020 Festival Superthread - Read First Post for Updates - Updated with Full Menus in the Planning Resources.

I'm glad to be getting some good news (even just speculation) in the midst of all this uncertainty. Hopefully Disney makes some sort of an announcement about the park closure status to give us a bit more guidance for our planning.

Interesting news, especially if the parks can open by May --
From this week's MP "DLR Update" (3/23-29/20):
Disney filed a permit with the city of Anaheim to allow them to keep the Food & Wine Festival Marketplace booths in use through September 7, 2020. We have no word from Disney about their plans, but an extended Food & Wine Festival would definitely help boost repeat attendance at Disney California Adventure, especially in conjunction with the opening of the Avengers Campus.
Thanks for the heads up!

You must be booked the same time we are May 3-8. I did find June 13-17 to be only $150 more but that cuts our trip from five nights down to four. We were finally going to take a day for Knotts but that is out as they already announced closing through “mid” May and if we are switching to June we will need to save those tickets/hotel night cost to make DL happen in June-just wondering if those dates are still pushing it.

Yep, we are booked for those exact same dates at GCH concierge level. The best I can seem to push it out and keep something close to the same price is the next two weeks in May. Otherwise the rest of the summer (AZ schools start again on July 30th) the prices are ridiculously more.

Our oldest is starting kindergarten this year and in general I normally wouldn’t hesitate to take her out of school for a week at Disney but we may already be taking her out for another vacation so I can’t pull her out for two whole weeks of the school year.

Sigh, just not sure what to do with all of this. At least this frustration keeps my mind off some of the bigger issues going on! Lol.

Looks like we are probably going to go to DL in May! Originally, we were going to go in March over our Spring Break. Then we changed our plans to possibly go over Easter weekend, but we scrapped those plans a few days ago.

Don't know the dates yet for sure, but it'll be either 5/15-5/17 or Memorial Day weekend (5/22-5/25). Going to stay with friends in Fontana.

Canceling our hotel reservations for May 1-3 (refundable). Our schools just got closed down until May 1 so likely we'll still be shutdown many places in California. Even if it does reopen, not sure I'd want to travel so soon yet anyway.

Canceling our hotel reservations for May 1-3 (refundable). Our schools just got closed down until May 1 so likely we'll still be shutdown many places in California. Even if it does reopen, not sure I'd want to travel so soon yet anyway.

You would be right not to want to travel that soon, but you're also right that you probably won't have a choice. At the rate we are currently going, the most likely scenario is that the hospital overruns and high death counts will begin in mid-April, so it's hard to imagine that the parks will even be open by May 1. Probably Memorial Day weekend is the earliest possible opening. Though I wonder if Disney will even bother opening the parks knowing they will probably have to close them again when the second wave of the virus hits a few months later.

You would be right not to want to travel that soon, but you're also right that you probably won't have a choice. At the rate we are currently going, the most likely scenario is that the hospital overruns and high death counts will begin in mid-April, so it's hard to imagine that the parks will even be open by May 1. Probably Memorial Day weekend is the earliest possible opening. Though I wonder if Disney will even bother opening the parks knowing they will probably have to close them again when the second wave of the virus hits a few months later.
Yep. I was leaving a little hope. I figured I'd better cancel before I forgot I had them. Stay healthy everyone and will see you when all this is over!

Sorry to hear that. I've taken you off the list. Hopefully, you'll be able to schedule a trip when things are better.

Still have our trip for May 9 - 17th (we'd get in that night). Frankly cos the airline tickets are non refundable. So I have no choice but to wait til American Airlines lets me contact them. I have a sliver of hope but only that. Since construction stopped I have no idea what state Disneyland is in. But I think HM is probably not done. So this would be 11+ yrs in a row of not seeing regular HM unless they put off HMH this year but 2nd trip is Sept 5 so lets get real. lol. Drats Fantasyland will still be a mess too with Snow White and KA Carousel in refirb. What a great year to plan something spontaneous that I never do and buy annual pass vouchers from another state. At least they are unused still.

we have a trip planned starting may 18th, how likely do you think this will happen. Delta will let me cancel our flight and I am curious what the new estimated opening date. I heard the new announcement now and it has me wondering.

we have a trip planned starting may 18th, how likely do you think this will happen. Delta will let me cancel our flight and I am curious what the new estimated opening date. I heard the new announcement now and it has me wondering.
I would estimate the chances at around 15%. We need a cure or widespread rapid results testing. It’s pretty darn unlikely we’ll get either in 6 weeks but it’s not impossible. I haven’t canceled my trip yet.

Really doubting our 5/3-5/8 trip now but still trying to hold out a little bit of hope. However even if they are open by then I’m now starting to wonder what the experience will even look like. Not even sure it would be what I’d want my kids first Disney experience to be.

I think I’ll keep the reservations at this point but may decide to at least bump out to early June instead.

Just postponed our May trip to October as Disney just announced that they will remain closed until further notice instead of opening back in April

No one knows, unfortunately, but I also haven't cancelled my trip. Feel free to add your dates and hotel if you'd like to be added to the May group!

Just postponed our May trip to October as Disney just announced that they will remain closed until further notice instead of opening back in April
Thanks for the update. I've removed you from the list. Happy Halloween planning!

I moved from 5/3-8 to 6/7-11
My traveling companion decided she wouldn’t be going anyway so these dates work for my sister to join me-if it happens.

I fly Southwest and it cost nothing to change the flights. I had watched the airfare drop to 2177 points each way, adjusted my flights to that (this was for May dates) and the May dates fell under their CoVid policy to change to any dates for NO extra points as long as it was moved to same destinations. So I consider this a very good indication DL will not be open in early May.

I moved from 5/3-8 to 6/7-11
My traveling companion decided she wouldn’t be going anyway so these dates work for my sister to join me-if it happens.

I fly Southwest and it cost nothing to change the flights. I had watched the airfare drop to 2177 points each way, adjusted my flights to that (this was for May dates) and the May dates fell under their CoVid policy to change to any dates for NO extra points as long as it was moved to same destinations. So I consider this a very good indication DL will not be open in early May.

I'm glad the change worked out for you! I've taken you off the May list.

I know it is silly, as I sit here so disappointed and not wanting to cry, but please take us off for May 😔 Even if the park was to be opened by then, both DH and I decided that we didn't feel comfortable going with the little one and her kidney issues. I am sending prayers for everyone here to stay safe and most of all healthy.

CastAStone, what does the rest of the offer say?

We have reservations at Grand Californian for May 5-8th. I still have those but made a backup reservation for May 24 - 30. Sigh. Looking at maybe June 19th-ish or early September or mid November, but the prices are so much higher than the spring sale prices.

Well, now I’m looking forward to seeing what Monday will bring with regards to this special offer. Really hoping I can possibly move my reservations to June or July for much closer to our current reservation price than having to pay $3k more for the week as it would currently stand. 02324ECC-E782-458F-BFEE-43E37FC9AE18.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter