Maybe time for a new camera

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
I've had my Canon 6D since 2014. It has served me well and I love it. I'm starting to feel like it's time to look at something new. My cameras don't usually last this long and it can't go on forever. It does a few wonky things that leads me to believe it could be near its end. File numbering seems to start over and jump around a lot. And when I turn it on sometimes the quick screen won't come back on without turning it off and on again. I'm pretty sure it's that drenching it took on Splash in 2018. I'm kind of shocked it's lasted this long.

Anyway, I've started thinking I need to research and be ready to pull the trigger on a replacement when the time comes. But things are vastly different now from when I bought this one 6 1/2 years ago.

I have a nice collection of Canon lenses that I really don't want to replace. A smaller mirrorless would be nice but I need an optical viewfinder. I love the low light performance of the 6D and need something at least as good. Preferably better.

I've considered one of the 5D models. Since they are older they are likely in my price range now. They are bigger, but for the right quality I can live with that.

I've considered the 7D mark ii but have loved having a full frame.

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

I just recently upgraded to an EOS RP from my 6D. The RP more than exceeds my expectations and performance of my 6D. I use all of my existing EF lenses using the the lens adapter and the lens performance seems to have actually improved. The body is also sooooo much lighter than the 6D body. I have big hands and also purchased the, purely cosmetic, camera grip to give the camera body some additional surface area. Video quality is spot on and I am glad it has stereo microphones built-in. Great low-light pictures and the WiFi performance is much improved over my nearly 10 year old 6D

Here is the review that pushed me over the edge to purchase…

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm

I just recently upgraded to an EOS RP from my 6D. The RP more than exceeds my expectations and performance of my 6D. I use all of my existing EF lenses using the the lens adapter and the lens performance seems to have actually improved. The body is also sooooo much lighter than the 6D body. I have big hands and also purchased the, purely cosmetic, camera grip to give the camera body some additional surface area. Video quality is spot on and I am glad it has stereo microphones built-in. Great low-light pictures and the WiFi performance is much improved over my nearly 10 year old 6D

Here is the review that pushed me over the edge to purchase…

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm
View attachment 585031

View attachment 585032

View attachment 585033

View attachment 585034

View attachment 585035
Thanks for posting, Mike! This might be the direction I end up going. Your shots are great (congrats to the grad!)

How long have you had it? Do you consider the low light performance at least as good as the 6D?

Did I read that right? Does the adapter also work with EF-S lenses? My fave got sidelined when I went full frame. That would be something.

@WebmasterMike What program do you use for photo editing? I'm very interested in this camera but it just dawned on me that it probably isn't supported in my older Lightroom 5 that I use.

If you have an investment in Canon glass, the most efficient option would be a new 6D. If you can wait a little, maybe see if the rumored 6DM3 will be announced? Although I personally would only go that road IF they put the new chip in it. Beyond that, I would say the new R model. But then it's either adapter time or replacing lenses. The R and 6DM3 will probably be very close in price.

If you're not attached to any special L items, an R model is probably the way to go as they continue to flesh out the product line for that mount. But be prepared for some sticker shock there.

My two outdated currency... you should probably pick up newer Canon DSLR, 5D would be my suggestion, with DPAF, depending on what your lenses are.

Basically, when you pivot to a mirrorless body, you're going to want to replace every lens you have. You can use an adapter so it won't be all at once, but over time you'll want to replace them all. Mirrorless lenses have a wider throat and can put glass closer to the sensor, so for the wide to mid range lenses for Canon have been smaller and higher quality on RF than EF. And, adapters introduce another set of mount tolerances, and focus motors not optimized for the AF type in play. Suffice it to say, native lenses really are just that much better. That being said, nobody has a full lens selection for a mirrorless mount. Canon and Nikon are 8-10 years from it, Sony more like 6-8, so unless the lenses you want are available today, you'll have to wait, or use an adapter. Waiting now gives you the advantage that when you do your pivot years from now, the lens and body selection will be more rounded, and more reasonably priced lenses will have been introduced.

And in the meantime? The latest DSLRs with DPAF out of Canon basically are mirrorless cameras, just with an optical viewfinder/mirror in the path, and a different lens mount. You're getting all the latest tech, just in a bit bigger body.

The exception to this: if Canon already makes RF lenses for everything you want, then go ahead and do the shift now. :)

Reactions: KVH
I am researching on moving up from the T7 to either the Canon EOS 5d Mark IV or the EOS R as my photography hobby is growing with hopes of doing portraits in the near future (much rather have a full frame camera)..... But I am uncomfortable with using a lens adaptor for my EF lenses with fear of quality loss and the mental note that there is a lens adaptor on the EOS R.

I am not sure what direction to go at this time. If RF lenses become more common and less expensive, perhaps the EOS R is a better choice?

Looking for opinions! Thank you!

FWIW, and my opinion is VERY cheap, start visiting CanonPriceWatch a few time a week. Moreso to start tracking price fluctuations than find an immediate deal. I do think RF is going to see something of a price decline, if for no other reason than to drive adoption. But photography seems to be a little resistant to normal economics these last couple of years. I can't believe what prices used gear is commanding right now as an example. And I don't know if everyone has really noticed but mid- and pro-level equipment seems to be in a totally different price range (as in MORE $$) than equivalent level equipment a few years ago. I know I lust after a C300 but have to hold my breath for now.

I think the biggest thing I would say is monitor prices AND make sure you shouldn't hold off on a purchase right now based on new equipment planned, announced, and/or upcoming release. I thought that Canon had some new bodies coming out that may satisfy your needs. Lastly, I wouldn't totally discount non-FF bodies. I've seen/read of some people turning out really great results. Of course, there's some aspects of PP that may be involved that you might now want to invest in.

I've had my Canon 6D since 2014. It has served me well and I love it. I'm starting to feel like it's time to look at something new. My cameras don't usually last this long and it can't go on forever. It does a few wonky things that leads me to believe it could be near its end. File numbering seems to start over and jump around a lot. And when I turn it on sometimes the quick screen won't come back on without turning it off and on again. I'm pretty sure it's that drenching it took on Splash in 2018. I'm kind of shocked it's lasted this long.

Anyway, I've started thinking I need to research and be ready to pull the trigger on a replacement when the time comes. But things are vastly different now from when I bought this one 6 1/2 years ago.

I have a nice collection of Canon lenses that I really don't want to replace. A smaller mirrorless would be nice but I need an optical viewfinder. I love the low light performance of the 6D and need something at least as good. Preferably better.

I've considered one of the 5D models. Since they are older they are likely in my price range now. They are bigger, but for the right quality I can live with that.

I've considered the 7D mark ii but have loved having a full frame.

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations?

Full frame mirrorless R, R6, etc. is the way to go
Canon mirrorless can easily use older EF and EFS lenses with adapter (the adapter is essentially an extension tube - $50)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Yeah, probably so. For the OP, check out this article. May help you focus your thinking.

Oooh!

Inquiring minds wanna know. Which way did you go, Janet?

I've started to have GAS lately and am only just starting to look. Was looking at going mirrorless. Seems that Canon might have finally decided to jump in that market properly with the R6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter