Meal ideas in a Studio

Lorana

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

We usually stay in a 1BR, so I’m spoiled with the full kitchen. This year will be our first in a studio.

What ideas are there for meals if we’ll only have a fridge and microwave? We usually do at least breakfast in the room, and sometimes dinner, for a family of 4 (me, husband and two teenaged boys). Is it worth trying to do meals in a studio, or would we be better off with doing quick service meals at a restaurant?

Thanks!

Hi all!

We usually stay in a 1BR, so I’m spoiled with the full kitchen. This year will be our first in a studio.

What ideas are there for meals if we’ll only have a fridge and microwave? We usually do at least breakfast in the room, and sometimes dinner, for a family of 4 (me, husband and two teenaged boys). Is it worth trying to do meals in a studio, or would we be better off with doing quick service meals at a restaurant?

Thanks!
Do a search. There were a few threads about that very recently.
Denise

I was trying to, but searching for “meals in studios” brought up a bunch of threads on meals in Hollywood Studios, which wasn’t what I was looking for. Do you have any links to threads I could read?

I'll see what I find but what do you like to eat?

We usually do cereal or bagels in the AM. If we dont eat lunch at the park (maybe it's a resort day), we get sandwich meat from their store in the hotel and eat that.

We will pack bagels, cereal, bread and chips in our suitcases.....and buy sodas, bottled water, etc. at Disney

We usually take a small electric skillet if we want to cook in the room. Another thing you can do is to use the grills at each property...

If you use the grills do you need to bring your own charcoal and matches? What about bbq utensils?

for studio meals, sandwiches are easy, soups, microwave meals. Be mindful of the small fridge though

If you use the grills do you need to bring your own charcoal and matches? What about bbq utensils?

Depends on the property. I know that Aulani, VGF and Poly are gas grills but BLT and Vero are charcoal. BLT does sell the charcoal (Light a bag), but it is $6...

for studio meals, sandwiches are easy, soups, microwave meals. Be mindful of the small fridge though
IMHO, BLT has the best studio "kitchen" area...

Depends on the property. I know that Aulani, VGF and Poly are gas grills but BLT and Vero are charcoal. BLT does sell the charcoal (Light a bag), but it is $6...

IMHO, BLT has the best studio "kitchen" area...
$6 is cheap. Garden grocery charges $14! Thanks.

I'll see what I find but what do you like to eat?

We usually do cereal or bagels in the AM. If we dont eat lunch at the park (maybe it's a resort day), we get sandwich meat from their store in the hotel and eat that.

We will pack bagels, cereal, bread and chips in our suitcases.....and buy sodas, bottled water, etc. at Disney

These are all great ideas, thank you! We usually do eggs, toast, breakfast meats in the morning, and then it's usually pasta & meatballs for evening, which is why I was first at a loss as to what to do for breakfasts without something to cook on.

We usually take a small electric skillet if we want to cook in the room.
we usually BBQ, bring a rice cooker, electric cook top and a panini press

Oh! Do you pack these in checked luggage? Do you have any issue bringing them?

We've been considering an owner's locker going forward, and wondering if they will fit in those?

Another thing you can do is to use the grills at each property...

Oh, what a great idea! We've never used them before, and I just absolutely forgot about them. (Though I remember seeing them at Aulani last year and thinking they would be great to use...) Will have to see what BRV has for grills.

When I stay in a studio, I bring a simple microwave egg poacher with me. Works really great ..... I think bed bath and beyond carries different ones. I forget where I got mine. If you order from Instacart or some other delivery place, also get english muffins, butter, etc. You will have a toaster in a studio. Deli meats and rolls for lunch. Dinner is tougher, we've used the charcoal grills at BWV and BLT....they can be a challenge. The gas grills at Aluani were wonderful. The fridges in studios are small and some don't have a freezer compartment. You can also order take out from local restaurants....they do delivery to the resorts. Don't know if that would be a money saver though. Will you be renting a car? There is a Publix on the other side of Magic Kingdom and a Winn Dixie maybe 10 minutes from Wilderness Lodge. Lots of take out places too.

I really hadn't thought of using a small electric skillet, or a sandwich press, but they sound like great ideas. I did one time stay in at Disneyland in a hotel room at Grand Californian that didn't have a microwave, so i ordered a cheap one online and left it behind for them when we were done.

We are going to be staying at Riviera the first week of February, but we are going on a Cruise the last week of January and the cruise ship won't let us bring electric cooking items (or even things like irons). So if we do this we will need to order a small skillet on Amazon.com or something and have it sent to Riviera.

Oh! Do you pack these in checked luggage? Do you have any issue bringing them?

We've been considering an owner's locker going forward, and wondering if they will fit in those?

Oh, what a great idea! We've never used them before, and I just absolutely forgot about them. (Though I remember seeing them at Aulani last year and thinking they would be great to use...) Will have to see what BRV has for grills.

My parents live in florida so they brings their stuff up but you most definitely can put it in your checked luggage, or buy them at walmart when you arrive or have them delivered to your resort from amazon and store them in a owners locker.

We don't do much cooking in villas of any size (yet) (trying to rectify that). But in studios, we mainly keep milk and have instant oatmeal, toast, yogurt, cold cereal. After a couple days we may accumulate enough to do a heat and eat leftovers dinner, but that's about it.

(There was a thread here last year - I can't remember the poster - who did 4 weeks in a row in studios at different resorts - there was a lot of talk about what they cooked and ate.)

Thanks for the sandwich press idea--something about heating the sandwich that way makes it so much better than "just a sandwich." I'm going to use that even when we have the kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!