Measuring Kids in Wheelchairs

treemi01

SMKCTL
We are planning to be more adventurous on our next trip. Our daughter will be almost 4 and uses a wheelchair. She is currently right in that 37-38 inch range now and might grow before our trip this fall. How would they measure her for rides with height requirements? She can stand, but it isn’t practical to get her in/out of her chair twice per ride (ride entrance and ride loading).

We are planning to be more adventurous on our next trip. Our daughter will be almost 4 and uses a wheelchair. She is currently right in that 37-38 inch range now and might grow before our trip this fall. How would they measure her for rides with height requirements? She can stand, but it isn’t practical to get her in/out of her chair twice per ride (ride entrance and ride loading).
if she is close I would plan on having to have her stand and yes it could be twice. remember the CMs are just doing what they have to do to keep their jobs. I would be practicing with her now at home so you are both ready at the park. she is not being singled out as this is true for all kids normal or handicapped

Are you sure you can't gently and quietly help her to her feet and onto the floor for measurement and then gently reseat her?

Last edited:
If she is close, they will want to measure her, often twice per attraction, but if you explain the situation, they might be able to.limit it to once near the boarding area, after she stands to transfer. I have seen this accommodation made at Disneyland before, but it does take you asking and informing them that you understand you may end up waiting in the line and then not be able to ride. They will usually offer Rider switch if that happens, but that was before it went all digital, so not sure how that would work now.

Could you bring a cloth measuring tape to measure alongside her body if standing isn't possible? Of course, you also have to think about it being safe for her to ride if she can't support herself in the seat. Some 40" rides can be really rough even if you have an arm around your child!

Are you sure you can't gently and quietly help her to her feet and onto the floor for measurement and then gently reseat her?

I can definitely do this! However, reseating her is not a quick or easy process and doing it twice per ride would be at the limit of what’s feasible. There are some good suggestions here, though. I was mostly just curious about how it would work.

I can definitely do this! ... curious about how it would work ...
Give it a fair try. At least for one ride.

The whole rigamarole probably won't happen on every ride.

Last edited:
It's too bad there isn't a way to measure once at Guest Services and somehow have the data transfer to the Magic Band. I know the measurement stored isn't practical, but at least a grouping of rides based that height. Maybe someday...

Some unscrupulous parent would switch bands around - which is why Disney doesn't do the pre-measurements.

Actually, Disney could offer pre-measurements, if the parents agree to having the child's picture taken. Then the picture would show up with their height measurement, much like the picture shows up for those that use a DAS.

Which, for most people, would end up taking longer to get thru than a CM remeasuring. I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but in general asking a guest to wait in line for a pic, and then expecting a CM to have to check each child against a pic would make the lines horribly long.

Not to mention, you can have kids who look a lot a like. My sister and I are 3 years apart, and also about 4 inches different in height. But we look enough alike that one time a gate agent in the airport gave us each other's IDs back.

Not to mention changing shirts/tops to try to "change" kids' heights. One child. Two magic bands. Two shirts. Very easy to cheat the system, with potential serious implications if something were to indeed happen.

If someone successfully faked for a DAS, there's no major risk for Disney.

I could have *sworn* that we had discussed this here before, and someone was going to ask GR if the child could be measured once, and then that measurement used for the duration of that trip.

I must be going stir-crazy; searched like mad, but can't find it...

I could have *sworn* that we had discussed this here before, and someone was going to ask GR if the child could be measured once, and then that measurement used for the duration of that trip.

I must be going stir-crazy; searched like mad, but can't find it...
yeah but wasn't there the argument about people shrinking throughout the day, plus wearing different shoes which can affect height?

This may be the thread you had in mind. It started off asking about a child riding Soaring (not height-related) but then later someone tacked on a question about measuring. No clear resolution was posted.

OP - reports are all over the place as to whether you may or may not be required to have the child measured at an attraction. I would be prepared to mention she cannot stand and is X inches tall, but also be prepared to help her get measured or skip the ride based on CM response.

I'd measure her at home shortly before your trip. If she is borderline for any of the height requirements, I'd be inclined to skip that attraction (or skip it with her, let others ride). If she is borderline and you aren't able to get her into a tall straight position, it could be naught and that would be frustrating to be denied entry after going to the trouble.

Enjoy your vacation!

Actually, Disney could offer pre-measurements, if the parents agree to having the child's picture taken. Then the picture would show up with their height measurement, much like the picture shows up for those that use a DAS.

I think it would be nice if disney could do the pre measure for those with DAS. Don't know how many this would be, but since you need a picture with DAS, I would think it wouldn't add that much more time.

I think it would be nice if disney could do the pre measure for those with DAS. Don't know how many this would be, but since you need a picture with DAS, I would think it wouldn't add that much more time.
Again, it is too easy to cheat the system. CMs are likely not looking very hard at DAS pictures, and there is really little benefit in one person in a party from holding the DAS vs another as is. If you added the "benefit" of avoiding height measurements, there would be some parents willing to risk their child's health. An under-height person on the ride exposes Disney to liability they don't want and, from their perspective, is easily avoided.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter