Merrytime gingerbread smell questions

angel's momma

DIS Veteran
Does the Merrytime gingerbread smell fill the entire atrium?
Is the smell primarily cinnamon?
Is it noticeable on the balcony?

Does the Merrytime gingerbread smell fill the entire atrium?
Is the smell primarily cinnamon?
Is it noticeable on the balcony?
I didn’t notice it as much. But the first time it wasn’t in the atrium and I never noticed it. When it was in the atrium the second time I sailed I had to be up close to smell it.

We have sailed on the cruises right before the first merry time cruise. When they are building the gingerbread house on those cruises in preparation of the merry time cruise yes the gingerbread is strong and fills the lobby atrium. The gingerbread is freshest then and they are moving and cutting pieces so the smell is stronger. I suspected the first cruise the smell is strongest and dies down as you get later into the season and the gingerbread dries out and gets stale. You won’t smell the gingerbread from the balcony. We walked out on deck four plenty of times which is right near the lobby and never smelled it out there.

We sailed the weekend before Christmas and could only smell the gingerbread house when standing right next to it. I imagine the smell dissipates the longer it is since it was first built.

For 2018 and 2019 we did the San Juan to Miami Repo Merrytime cruise on the Magic

2018, the sailing was 11/30 to 12/4 and you could only smell gingerbread faintly in the Atrium when you walked close by the Gingerbread house. I'm talking, right by the wooden fence that separates it.

2019 the Sailing was 11/15 to 11/20 and the smell was a bit stronger throughout the atrium but nothing overwhelming. I feel comfortable saying that they weren't using manufactured cinnamon smell or anything on either occasion. We didn't smell cinnamon in any other part of the ship either.

Hope this helps!

Well this thread is unexpectedly thrilling! We’re on the first Merrytime sailing on the Fantasy in 2021 and I would love to catch an actual whiff of gingerbread, faint or strong!

I don't recall a smell. But we were on a New Year's cruise, so it had been up for a while. And as we waiting in the line to get off the ship at the end of the cruise we got to watch a couple burly guys take sledge hammers to it.

We've done multiple merrytime cruises, on both the Dream and Fantasy.

IME the gingerbread smell [typical gingerbread spices smell, so cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, possibly allspice as well...] is strongest within several feet [upto say 10-15 feet] around the the gingerbread house itself. further out from that it gradually disipates.

Various factors will influence how far away you can smell it, like time of day and how much foot traffic is going past as those affect the airflow and therefore the scent travelling...

We did not notice the scent on the deck above.

It does sometimes drift into that side of the atrium.

The house and the smell were one of our favourite parts of the cruises :-) We visited it often. For those who do enjoy gingerbread, the house is quite neat the explore -- many hidden things to discover if you spend the time looking [we will spend the time late at night when it is quite and few others are around, when you can stand there peering around at it and now have others wondering what the heck you are looking at :-) ].

SW

I don't recall a smell. But we were on a New Year's cruise, so it had been up for a while. And as we waiting in the line to get off the ship at the end of the cruise we got to watch a couple burly guys take sledge hammers to it.

As my Husband would say "The Magic is RUINED"

I went on a Merrytime cruise last December 7-12 on the Magic. I never smelled the gingerbread house and was very near it on more than one occasion at all times of day. I didn’t even think it was real gingerbread! It just looked like cardboard to me. My sister has a similar issue with strong cinnamon smells as well, and I would tell her not to worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter