Miami & The Keys

C

candyht

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for Miami Beach, Key Largo and Key West? I'm thinking about taking a trip there in Jan. I was also looking for a hotel that has a children's program.

What part of miami beach? With kids I wouldn't suggest south Beach, there is a nice Radison just north of south Beach. I would also suggest Islamarda(sp?) for kids, there is a nice resort called Cheeca Lodge that has great kids programs. as far as Key west personally I wouldn't take my kids there for more then a day. You might want to check out AOL's travel borads they have lot's of info on their Miami/Key West messgae boards.

Is Key West really bad for kids? I was thinking about staying there for 2 days. My twins are 4 years old and they love the beach. My DH and I have always wanted to go to Miami and the Keys. I'll check out the AOL boards. I'm not sure if I can access them, I'm not an AOL member.

I went to Key West for my honeymoon. We stayed at a B&B on Duval ST. that is where everyhting is. There is a new resort (check out their website). It is called "Grand Key Resort"
There really isn't a beach, but I would take my DS there (he's 3). There is a really nice aquarium place where you can actually handle some of the animals. A lot of neat museums and cats everywhere. I think Cheeca Lodge is a good choice for Islamorada. I haven't been to South Beach in a while, but it is very nice! Lauderdale by the Sea is a nice area as well. The Sea Lord hotel has ocean front studios. Very spacious. It's an older ,but very well kept up place. It's right on the beach and they do have a pool. It's right by a fishing pier with lots of little stores and rest. nearby. It's much more quiet than Miami. It's more for relaxing.

Originally posted by candyht
Is Key West really bad for kids? I was thinking about staying there for 2 days. My twins are 4 years old and they love the beach. My DH and I have always wanted to go to Miami and the Keys. I'll check out the AOL boards. I'm not sure if I can access them, I'm not an AOL member.

It's not that it's bad for kids but the beaches aren't that nice IMH, there are lot's of nicer places in the keys. there are lots of bars & shops in Key west.
And as far as Miami, the beaches are beautiful! We own a condo at the very north end & love it! But south Beach is so touristy with over priced shops & restaurants. They do allow for topless bathing & there is a lot of it! I guess your twins are young enough not to notice. But if you stay a bit north like Surfside or Bal Harbour it's so much nicer & just a short drive to south Beach. There is a nice place called Bayside with shops, restaurants, boat rides a Hard rock cafe & outdoor entertainment that's nice for families, it's down by port of Miami. Also Coconut Grove is nice to walk around at.
You can't access the AOL boards if you're not on AOL. I'm sure there are travel boards for other servers.
Try Miami.com there's lot's of info on that site.
BTW, the Miami sea aquarium is great & so is the zoo! ( I also have a 4 year old!)

Cheryl, I live in Hollywood. Is Sunny Isles still nice? I remember staying at the Golden Strand and it was very nice. Is it still there???? The Sheraton Bal Harbour is beautiful . I stayed there on my wedding night. We got married at Church by the Sea (the one right by Saks) and had our reception at one of the rest. on the intracoastal right up the street.

Originally posted by susy
Cheryl, I live in Hollywood. Is Sunny Isles still nice? I remember staying at the Golden Strand and it was very nice. Is it still there???? The Sheraton Bal Harbour is beautiful . I stayed there on my wedding night. We got married at Church by the Sea (the one right by Saks) and had our reception at one of the rest. on the intracoastal right up the street.

Susy! If I said Sunny Isles I would guess no one would know it!!!! Yes, I love it, the beach is beautiful! But they are knocking down all the old hotels (Golden Strand still stands!) & are putting up these huge high rises, They just put a 42 story one next to our condo which only has two floors! The whole area is changing but I just park my car & stay at the beach while I'm there, it's rented for the season now , but my parents also have a place so I'll be over every now & again. we'll have to meet up some time! Our favorite restaurant is in Hollywood it's called Georgios have you been there?

28 days and I fly from MA to FL for my first cruise. There are 6 of us going on NCL to Key West and Cozumel. We leave out of Miami.

I've never been to cozumel, but you will love Key West. Where the cruise ships dock you can just walk to everything. Lots of museums, shop, rest. Make sure to write down some of the names of the beautiful B&B's (you'll never remember them) in case you decide to come back for a stay! We stayed in one on our honeymoon (The wicker guesthouse). They are very cute and usually serve a beautiful breakfast out by the pool. They also have a new resort called "Grand Key Resort". Their website has a lot of info. Have fun on your cruise-be very careful of seasickness this time of year-bring the medication!! You will have a fabulous time-take lots of pictures!!!!!I woulld love to see them! 8 days and counting!!!!

Cheryl,
where is Georgio's? My mom lives very close to downtown Hollywood (she and her husband work in a law office there). I live about 10 minutes west of there. My husband is in construction (plumber/pipefitter) and has been very busy building all of those new highrises. He works in Broward, though. When I was little we live in NJ and we used to come to Miami for vacation in the summer. We usually stayed at the Golden Strand (in those little villas on the beach) or at the Nichols in Bal Harbour-which is no longer there. I lived in North Miami from age 11-18, then on Alton Rd in Miami Beach, then in Bal Harbour. It's so nice for vacation, but I couldn't care less about a beach or a pool when I'm on vacation! WDW here I come -8 days!

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
28 days and I fly from MA to FL for my first cruise. There are 6 of us going on NCL to Key West and Cozumel. We leave out of Miami.

Have a great time!
We're doing that same itinerary in Feb. on Carnival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter