Mickey Waffles Zero; Cucumbers are my Heroes! A September AND December 2020 Dining Report *Festival of the Holidays 1/31*

Let's get on with the show! The last couple days have been a little crazy; a little on the downer side; a little "eh". But then yesterday I got to see our granddaughter and when she gets excited to see her "Mams" (Grams) all is right with the world again! We're also going to visit Ricky at Quinnipiac again tomorrow and take him to dinner; I hope you all have fun plans for the weekend!
The inside isn't terrible and is usually soft but the taste isn't the same; there isn't as MUCH taste unfortunately. So dry :( I hate saying this! I hate buying in to the rumor that they've changed the mix or whatever but something is definitely different. So there's the full reason for my report title, you can go home now lol!

First up was a stop at my absolute favorite booth,

View attachment 531051

I was disappointed they did not have my favorite dessert, the , but they did have another favorite of Steve's from last year so we both ordered the Chimichurri-up Offense: : Charred Chimichurri Skirt Steak on a Smoked Corn Cake with Pickled Vegetable Slaw and Cilantro Aioli

We headed right towards Canada and did a detour to watch the new Canada Far and Wide film. Partly because it was super hot already and partly because I'd heard it was good! We then continued our quest for food but nothing was calling to us. I'd read the menus ahead of time of course and knew a few of my faves hadn't made it but Steve wasn't feeling anything either. We finally chose the Festival Center right before the UK as our next stop:

It was nice and cool in here and not too crowded yet. There are a few different "booths" including Festival Favorites with the Nitro Cake pops and then the one we hit w, Appleseed Orchard.

This was just a drink stop! I love my hard cider but instead of the flight I went straight to the larger size 3 Daughters Raspberry Lemonade Dry Hard Cider, St. Petersburg, FL and Steve got the Short’s Brewing Co. Mule Beer, Elk Rapids, MI because, Mule I guess.

We were not done eating and drinking yet! We were only near the UK! Next up we finish off a Taste of Epcot on our one and only Epcot day :goodvibes

Yay for getting to visit Ricky again!

Boo for the Mickey waffles...I've never been a huge waffle person anyway, but this is still sad.

I'm so excited about the Flavors of Fire booth...it wasn't there when we were there before and DH really LOVES the Swine Brine so I'm sure it will be on his list.

We may have to try the new Canada video though I did enjoy Martin Short.

We really enjoyed the Festival Center for sure. I'm not sure if I tried that Cider but it will be on my list for sure during our return.

Can't wait to hear more.

Your trip has gotten off to an excellent start ( well except for the dirty room). The food and drinks in Terralina sounds delicious- totally agree Italian food is hard to beat! So nice of Steve to take the time to thank the chef in Epcot. I’m sure it was appreciated 😊

I hope you have a great visit with Ricky. Are the fall colors out yet there?

I've never been a fan of Mickey waffles but I do like the gluten-free waffles. I have read a lot of negative reviews for Roaring Forks, which is really sad. :(

We LOVE GP! Actually I think this is the first time we've stayed at WL and NOT eaten at GP since it opened but we did have drinks there one night with friends.

We try to get over to Geyser Point during every trip, even if we aren't staying at the resort. We often take the boat from MK for lunch. It has the best view in WDW. :)

Did you happen to notice if the walking path to Fort Wilderness is open now?

Speaking of eating, those of you who have followed my reports before know that not only do Steve and I often change up our plans last minute, we also often don't make that many dining reservations ahead of time unless the kids are with us.
AKA You guys know how to do it right :D

No copper mug for Steve and that's mine with the cuke in it so here comes the reason for the 2nd part of my report title 🥒
Well that explains it. I could not for the life of me figure out how a. cucumbers got in the title of your report and b. they were heroes. I should have known a drink was involved, but impressive for your non-vegetable self nonetheless.

saved the arugula and mailed it to my good friend Kari @kastoney who loves it while I find it gross. You should be getting that package any day now!
Sadly it hasn't arrived yet but I'll be sure to keep a look out. Also must now make a run to Trader Joe's today b/c have to have buratta.

We've eaten at all the other Italian restaurants in Disney, parks and otherwise, and definitely feel both Terralina and Il Mulino are way above the others.
Impressive. I think this may actually be the first I've even seen a review of Terralina. Glad it was good. We'll definitely have to give Il Mulino another try. We've only been there once and I recall it being pretty good. I also recall it being stop 3 or 4 on a very tipsy night so who knows

And then yesterday morning I went to brunch with my BFF and got this cucumber watermelon wine spritzer!

Wow that looks really good

As we left Steve went up and thanked the chef. This poor guy grilling with a mask in the heat! This was at noon and when we left at 5 the SAME guy was there. Being in the restaurant business Steve always says the guys in the kitchen don't get any thanks since it's the people out front who are seen who do.

Poor guy. This reminds me of a story a few years back Jason's restaurant was doing some special event on the mall for 4th of July and he got stuck with grilling duty. Not only was it like 100 but the wind was terrible and the fire kept flaming up. He ended up with blisters all up his arm then had to go back and do it again the next day.

To add for anyone that hasn't yet been to Disney post-COVID: this was our 2nd time down and it was more crowded. Not "too" crowded in my opinion but the July and early August no crowds and walk on rides are over, and that's a good thing because it means people are traveling. It means people like and are comfortable with what they saw Disney doing. It means hopefully Disney continues adding more and more offerings that are closed and hopefully there is not another mass layoff.
Amen. These mass layoffs are so depressing. Ashley's friend was just laid off and she wasn't even notified by a phone call from her supervisor. She found her name in red on a list that was put out by Disney. If your name was in black, you still had a job. Not cool Disney!!!

as well as seeing our friends Jenny and Joe again!
Yay!!!!

Although I hope by the time we wear space suits we don't have to wear masks with them!
We can only hope and pray. Sigh.

This was just a drink stop! I love my hard cider but instead of the flight I went straight to the larger size 3 Daughters Raspberry Lemonade Dry Hard Cider, St. Petersburg, FL
UMM, we are doing a wine tasting here!!!! The winery is literally 10 minutes from Joe's parents. This just reminded me that I have to make a reservation. 😁

When I ordered these I was hoping for something better but sadly the negative reports on that thread are true. Not sure what it is but they are NOT the same. Four times I've gotten them now since reopening and they are always super hard on the outside and the weird thing is, pieces flake off. When you go to cut them it's really hard to do so.

say it isn’t so! Those Mickey waffles are such a treat for us! I am sad to hear it! The waffles 🧇 even look different in the picture, pale, not the golden brown they usually are!
I hope Steve enjoyed his Birthday! The cider sounds really good! I have had some really good ones lately!
I copied what you wrote and it came out weird, I should have quoted it. Oh well, I am so sad about the waffles, 😢

Let's get on with the show! The last couple days have been a little crazy; a little on the downer side; a little "eh". But then yesterday I got to see our granddaughter and when she gets excited to see her "Mams" (Grams) all is right with the world again! We're also going to visit Ricky at Quinnipiac again tomorrow and take him to dinner; I hope you all have fun plans for the weekend!
Glad you had a nice visit with your sweet pea and that you are going to see Ricky! Jack is home for the weekend which makes my momma heart happy. Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow so I am cooking turkey and all the trimmings today!
This was just a drink stop! I love my hard cider but instead of the flight I went straight to the larger size 3 Daughters Raspberry Lemonade Dry Hard Cider, St. Petersburg, FL and Steve got the Short’s Brewing Co. Mule Beer, Elk Rapids, MI because, Mule I guess.
Yum, I would love that cider!

I sure hope Mickey Waffles won't forever be another pandemic loss!!! Maybe when things become more "normal," the waffles will make a comeback. One can only hope!

I'm not a beer drinker but this one was good; not hoppy and had a hint of like a fruity flavor? Just a hint and Steve probably would think I was weird for saying that.
I dislike hoppy, but a hint of fruity is right up my alley! :)

I love my hard cider but instead of the flight I went straight to the larger size 3 Daughters Raspberry Lemonade Dry Hard Cider, St. Petersburg, FL
Yummm, I had this one, too, and it was SO good!! I also got the popcorn, which was kind of gross, but I really wanted the apple for my desk :)

Happy Birthday to Steve! My birthday was the 24th, we were supposed to be there, but DH wasn't feeling masks in the Sept heat. lol We are trying again for Nov. Fingers crossed!
:thanks: and a belated HB to you as well! I understand not wanting to do masks in Sept. It wasn't as bad as July but it wasn't what I'd call pleasant for sure lol, hopefully when we go in Nov. (hope you're there too!) it won't be annoying! We've done Nov. a # of times and while there can be some warm days it's NOTHING like the summer. We just decided to go for Thanksgiving with the boys and that's honestly my favorite time of the year to go so I can't wait!
Loving the trip report, so far!
Yay! Thanks for being here!
I'm so excited about the Flavors of Fire booth...it wasn't there when we were there before and DH really LOVES the Swine Brine so I'm sure it will be on his list.
I was bummed it didn't open at first and then was excited it opened shortly before our trip! It kind of stinks that not all the booths opened at the beginning and stayed open but I guess this year beggars can't be choosers lol.

After we finished eating/drinking at that booth we walked over for the sign picture and that's when Steve noticed the Swine Brine and said he's wished he'd gotten it! He never had it before and it does not appeal to me in the least :scared:
So nice of Steve to take the time to thank the chef in Epcot. I’m sure it was appreciated 😊
He's in the business so he feels for them. Even though he's Starbucks by day he makes pizza at his friends restaurant 5 nights a week and has done that for over 40 years! He also used to run a catering business and also used to own a deli before I knew him. He'll often go up to chefs at the Disney restaurants if the kitchens are open like at Narcoossee's and Citricos and tell them how much we enjoyed a meal :)
I hope you have a great visit with Ricky. Are the fall colors out yet there?
As soon as we get into the town the school is in it's almost like we're driving under the WDW sign, that's how happy I get :love: And yes the colors are brighter there than here! We got up there as the sun was setting so I couldn't get too many pictures but here's one as we were waiting in the parking lot for him:

've never been a fan of Mickey waffles but I do like the gluten-free waffles. I have read a lot of negative reviews for Roaring Forks, which is really sad. :(
Normally we find qs breakfasts the same everywhere and while we try not to eat them more than once or twice a trip, they suffice. But since reopening they are NOT good anywhere that we've found and I really think it's partly because they package them up. We've had some ok lunches at Roaring Fork in the last year or so and while we still don't try to make a habit of eating there if it happens on occasion it's ok but we miss some of the old offerings.
I've eaten at all the resort qs locations except for Riviera and I think Artist Palette at SSR is the best!
Did you happen to notice if the walking path to Fort Wilderness is open now?
I do not think it was yet sadly
AKA You guys know how to do it right :D
::yes:: :thumbsup2
should have known a drink was involved, but impressive for your non-vegetable self nonetheless.
You know I try to be healthy however I can............
Sadly it hasn't arrived yet but I'll be sure to keep a look out.
I'm having fun imagining you opening that package if I did actually mail it and it hadn't actually gotten there yet 🤮
mpressive. I think this may actually be the first I've even seen a review of Terralina. Glad it was good. We'll definitely have to give Il Mulino another try.
I had only seen Liesa @Steppesister's review but a couple other folks had said they'd enjoyed it. The menu looked good and I am so glad we tried it; FYI for the future they have a patio!
This reminds me of a story a few years back Jason's restaurant was doing some special event on the mall for 4th of July and he got stuck with grilling duty. Not only was it like 100 but the wind was terrible and the fire kept flaming up. He ended up with blisters all up his arm then had to go back and do it again the next day.
Ugh it just sucks having to cook outside and while I know the mask is a must I felt bad enough for those chefs during the festivals in non- COVOD years. Cheers to them for being there and doing what they do!

I had only seen Liesa @Steppesister's review but a couple other folks had said they'd enjoyed it. The menu looked good and I am so glad we tried it; FYI for the future they have a patio!
Awww, thank you for mentioning me. I've completely abandoned the DIS for the short time I am doing my BSN degree. (4 classes out of 13 left!!!) and then I'll be back. I tend to be an all or nothing girl and have thrown myself into school 1,000%. I WILL be back though. :goodvibes

The patio is THE BEST!!!! I loved it!!

Happy Birthday Steve!
Thanks Raeven :goodvibes
Oh no that's terrible! :sad2:
It is because that's something so many people look forward to and something you would think is so easy! I hope it's a lack of availability of the usual mix and it's available again soon.
Ashley's friend was just laid off and she wasn't even notified by a phone call from her supervisor. She found her name in red on a list that was put out by Disney. If your name was in black, you still had a job. Not cool Disney!!!
OMG that's horrible! I hadn't heard of that but how cold!
UMM, we are doing a wine tasting here!!!! The winery is literally 10 minutes from Joe's parents. This just reminded me that I have to make a reservation. 😁
OK here's another reminder to make that reservation! Can't wait to hear how it is :)
he waffles 🧇 even look different in the picture, pale, not the golden brown they usually are!
I thought so too, too light!
I hope Steve enjoyed his Birthday!
He did! It was the first time he's spent it in Disney and it was all his idea to do so lol
Jack is home for the weekend which makes my momma heart happy. Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow so I am cooking turkey and all the trimmings today!
YAY! And Happy Thanksgiving to you 🦃 🇨🇦 I hope you had a great visit and a beautiful day!
I sure hope Mickey Waffles won't forever be another pandemic loss!!!
🙏
Yummm, I had this one, too, and it was SO good!! I also got the popcorn, which was kind of gross, but I really wanted the apple for my desk :)
lol what we do for any type of Disney souvenir!

Awww, thank you for mentioning me. I've completely abandoned the DIS for the short time I am doing my BSN degree. (4 classes out of 13 left!!!) and then I'll be back. I tend to be an all or nothing girl and have thrown myself into school 1,000%. I WILL be back though. :goodvibes
You gotta stay focused! Best of luck with school, see ya on the FB and back here in the future!

He's in the business so he feels for them. Even though he's Starbucks by day he makes pizza at his friends restaurant 5 nights a week and has done that for over 40 years!
Many moons ago we owned a pizza restaurant and the staff always split their tips with the kitchen staff as they knew they could only provide good service if the rest of the team did their job well. I really feel for restaurant owners/staff at the minute as it must be almost impossible to make it viable with all the restrictions. It’s a tough business at the best of times!

OMG that's horrible! I hadn't heard of that but how cold!
I know, right! Disney put out a list. If your name was in black, you stayed. If it was in red, you're gone...This was the way Ashley's friend found out. Tim, on the other hand, has had a TON of friends let go from Disney and they were all notified by supervisors.

The mickey waffles were different when we were there last month! I was hoping we just got a bad batch but I'm sad to hear it seems to be the new trend. :( :(

Glad to see my favourite food reviewer back in action! Why the identity change?? It sounds like a great trip so far and can’t wait to read more!

Leaving the air conditioned comfort of the Festival building we continued on with our Taste of Epcot tour. I vowed to return to the building for a certain desert before leaving the park; we'll see if I make it!

First up though, as we left I heard that now familiar music change that let's you know something special is coming - a cavalcade! I tried to take a video and right in the middle some dude walked in front of me and dropped the F bomb so it's not only not ok for my business page but it's not appropriate for the DIS. Unless maybe one wants to be banned? No!
Here's what I got:

Exciting I know! This one had Aurora, Snow, Belle and Jasmine. But on to the drink!
@Jenny Sanders had told me to try a drink at the Brazil booth so that's what we did:

Frozen Caipirinha featuring LeBlon Cachaça

I love me some @Jenny Sanders but I did NOT love this! I honestly cannot remember why or what it tasted like but I hated it! Neither of us drank it so that was a huge miss but the fun part about these festivals is being able to try different things.

Carrying on.....

We spent the next bit of time trying to find more booths we were interested in but sadly, this festival was leaving a little to be desired. We also spent an exorbitant amount of time in Mitsukoshi looking for specific anime stuff for Chris, asking the CM's all sorts of uncomfortable questions about series like Death Blow and One Punch Man and things like that. But we found something so it was worth it! Right.

Steve's usual shrimp on a stick wasn't around this time but he found an alternative at the Africa booth:

He does not particularly like couscous but he enjoyed the spicy shrimp enough although still lamenting his regular dish. Hopefully it returns with a normal spring Flower and Garden Festival 🤞

And now we came to Mexico. Parched from the heat and disappointed in our attempted Brazilian beverage, we crossed fingers for the present and hoped the line for a particular "cava" was short. Much to our surprise it was almost non- existent and in a matter of minutes we had these glistening beauties in our hands!

I got my usual Avocado and after some heavy thinking Steve got the Cucumber.
After my pleasurable cucumber experience the night before I too debated getting the Cucumber Margarita but decided against it on the off chance I disliked it; bad move! I tried Steve's and immediately regretted NOT getting it! Once again it was SO light and refreshing; the Avocado was also delicious as usual but if you've had it before you know it's a bit thick. The Cucumber is not at all.

Steve asked if I wanted to trade and well, I did.....but he took a sip of my Avocado and that was the first he'd ever tried it and he wasn't impressed and since it was his birthday I let him keep the cucumber. For now................... let me take you back inside La Cava briefly. SO happy they're open however they are not serving food nor can you sit in there currently:

A little sad but even though the line wasn't long it was steady. We tipped the bartenders nicely as they're missing out on the tips with no tables being used.

We took our drinks outside and really needed something to eat but we'd finished our tour of the festival booths. What to do, what to do??

When in Mexico you get

Pollo Cascabel - Grilled Chicken, Mexican Rice, Corn, Cascabel Sauce and Pickled Onions

and some

Empanadas con Queso - Fried Flour Tortillas filled with Cheese and served with Mexican Slaw

That lovely bowl was mine and it was the best thing I ate all day to this point! This is actually my favorite QS in Epcot but I've never had this. The chicken was tender and not rubbery at all with a nice grilled, simple spicy kick to it and the pickled onions are my favorite. The Cascabel sauce is a bit tangy; there isn't a ton of it but there's just enough. Steve liked his Empanadas which I have had before and the kids love but he thought they had meat in them. I let him have a bit of the bowl and this is where I took him up on his offer to finish about half of his Cucumber Margarita 🥒🥒 As for the Empanadas as I said Steve enjoyed them but I had told him how good the slaw is that usually comes with them and as you see he got chips. Hopefully slaw shows up again!

It was getting late; we did have big dinner plans and we needed to go back to our room to change but weren't quite done at the park. We did a bit of granddaughter shopping in Mouse Gears, hit up a few rides in FW and then went aaaaaaalllll the way back to the festival center so I could get some pre-dinner desert:

Liquid Nitro Chocolate Cake Pops with Crumbled Twix® Chocolate Bars

It was neat watching it be made but sadly not as good as I thought it would be. I knew I'd use up all calorie space on dinner so after a few bites I gave up on it. It was more crowded at this point but we still got a table and while in there the piano player started; he wasn't there earlier. We listened to a great version of "Rainbow Connection" and a few minutes of "Rainbow Connection" before finally heading out and bussing back to CCV.

For our first day back at Epcot since reopening we had a really good day! Crowds were low; lower than we'd seen in MK and HS on our July trip so getting around and waiting in food and ride lines was pleasant. The festival didn't have as many offerings we wanted to try as the normal festivals do but that's ok; the important thing is there IS a festival🎉 Enough about the day; we had a birthday dinner with friends to get ready for!

The mickey waffles were different when we were there last month! I was hoping we just got a bad batch but I'm sad to hear it seems to be the new trend. :( :(
There are a few who have said they haven't noticed a change but I think they just don't eat them as often lol. Let's hope they get back to normal sooner rather than later!
Glad to see my favourite food reviewer back in action! Why the identity change?? It sounds like a great trip so far and can’t wait to read more!
Yay! So good to see you too, very glad you found me :goodvibes:goodvibes As for the change........welp, sometimes if you get, let's say, evicted- or expelled maybe? You need a disguise if you want to return to the scene of the alleged crime that did not actually take place lol. Especially if you miss all your friends and miss sharing your trips! Hope you are well and enjoy this report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!