Mickey Waffles Zero; Cucumbers are my Heroes! A September AND December 2020 Dining Report *Festival of the Holidays 1/31*

I love me some @Jenny Sanders but I did NOT love this!
I'm sad you didn't like it. I thought it was one of the best drinks I had that trip...

A little sad but even though the line wasn't long it was steady. We tipped the bartenders nicely as they're missing out on the tips with no tables being used.
That's what we have been doing too. They are still working very hard and they have to wear the stupid masks and face shields.

I'm sad you didn't like it. I thought it was one of the best drinks I had that trip...
Well you are 100% forgiven lol. It sounded good so I wanted to try it!

he Cucumber one looks good but I want to try the Black Magic margarita. It looks good, too. :)
I'm going to have a hard time next trip because I also want to try the Black Magic but the Cucumber was SO good I need my own lol!

But on to the drink!
@Jenny Sanders had told me to try a drink at the Brazil booth so that's what we did:

Frozen Caipirinha featuring LeBlon Cachaça
My brother-in-law's wife is from Brazil, so this was actually the signature drink at their wedding. I hated it, too. It seems like it would be so refreshing, but...nope.

It was more crowded at this point but we still got a table and while in there the piano player started
The piano player there was SO amazing! We really enjoyed him in July!

I'm a little behind but catching up.

I agree with you on the Mickey Waffles. They just don't taste the same and getting them in the brown box just takes away from them even more. We did get some at Sleepy Hollow that were really good, of course they are made with the funnel cake mix. I think my daughter got the same drink you got at the Apple Orchard and I had the Twix cake pop. I really liked it but could only eat a few bits since it was so sweet.

Loved all your reviews and I'm looking forward to more.

Your EPCOT day sounds great crowd-wise and Mexico definitely seemed to hit the spot when it came to food and drink. I am so missing WDW today - actually I'm missing travel in general today for some reason but it's been nice to read about your (and others) trip reports. Restrictions have tightened here again for everyone so I guess we are stuck at home for a while yet but hey ho at least we have food in the cupboards and a garden unlike some so I'll quit moaning except to say I'd do almost anything for a trip to Disney or a decent Chinese meal right now! See I'm not hard to please really-if I can't travel can I at least have takeout :confused3 Noooooooo apparently not:sad:

That cucumber margarita does sound delicious but I would have a hard time giving up the avocado one for it! Perhaps in February I'll need to put Mike on baby duty for our entire Epcot day so I can try both :rolleyes1

It was neat watching it be made but sadly not as good as I thought it would be. I knew I'd use up all calorie space on dinner so after a few bites I gave up on it. It was more crowded at this point but we still got a table and while in there the piano player started; he wasn't there earlier. We listened to a great version of "Rainbow Connection" and a few minutes of "Rainbow Connection" before finally heading out and bussing back to CCV.

For our first day back at Epcot since reopening we had a really good day! Crowds were low; lower than we'd seen in MK and HS on our July trip so getting around and waiting in food and ride lines was pleasant. The festival didn't have as many offerings we wanted to try as the normal festivals do but that's ok; the important thing is there IS a festival🎉 Enough about the day; we had a birthday dinner with friends to get ready for!

Yay for a stop at La Cava...love that place and the Avacado Margarita. My hope for this next trip is to try that NPH Specialty drink there though.

Wow that's a lot of Rainbow Connection! ;) Love me some Muppets.

I am totally with you on the dessert also. I just am so disappointed in the Cake Pop Nitro dessert. The regular Nitro dessert from previous years was so much better!
Love hearing about the low crowds but I really don't think we are going to be that lucky for our trip in a few weeks.

After my pleasurable cucumber experience the night before I too debated getting the Cucumber Margarita but decided against it on the off chance I disliked it; bad move! I tried Steve's and immediately regretted NOT getting it! Once again it was SO light and refreshing; the Avocado was also delicious as usual but if you've had it before you know it's a bit thick. The Cucumber is not at all.
I love, love, love the cucumber margarita! I have tried the avocado and enjoyed it as well but the cucumber is #1! :)
It was neat watching it be made but sadly not as good as I thought it would be. I knew I'd use up all calorie space on dinner so after a few bites I gave up on it. It was more crowded at this point but we still got a table and while in there the piano player started; he wasn't there earlier. We listened to a great version of "Rainbow Connection" and a few minutes of "Rainbow Connection" before finally heading out and bussing back to CCV.
Too bad about the Nitro dessert. The concept sounds good but it doesn't sound like it was executed well.

Sorry guys life's been a little crazy! I'll have another update soon!

My brother-in-law's wife is from Brazil, so this was actually the signature drink at their wedding. I hated it, too. It seems like it would be so refreshing, but...nope.
It looks refreshing but then it has this like, bitter taste? I don't know but it was a lose. On the other hand it's fun to try things at these festivals even if they don't turn out to be great!
I agree with you on the Mickey Waffles. They just don't taste the same and getting them in the brown box just takes away from them even more.
Ugh I feel like the brown box really ruins the taste for some reason! Even still we had them at 2 TS restaurants and they weren't any better😥
I think my daughter got the same drink you got at the Apple Orchard and I had the Twix cake pop. I really liked it but could only eat a few bits since it was so sweet.
Yeah same, that was alot of sugar and I do love sugar! I hope you guys had a great trip!
Restrictions have tightened here again for everyone so I guess we are stuck at home for a while yet but hey ho at least we have food in the cupboards and a garden unlike some so I'll quit moaning except to say I'd do almost anything for a trip to Disney or a decent Chinese meal right now!
I'm sorry to hear that :hug: They are getting tighter around the US as well, not by me yet but in NYC for sure and also NJ. But do you guys not have takeout open? Because no chinese! We always had takeout open we just had to either pick up curbside or only a few people were allowed in to pick up!
That cucumber margarita does sound delicious but I would have a hard time giving up the avocado one for it! Perhaps in February I'll need to put Mike on baby duty for our entire Epcot day so I can try both :rolleyes1
LOL I remember drinking shortly after having Ricky :rolleyes1 Just bring a stroller for yourself and have Mike wear the baby carrier lol!
Yay for a stop at La Cava...love that place and the Avacado Margarita. My hope for this next trip is to try that NPH Specialty drink there though.
I hope you get to try it! If I get 2 stops there in the same trip I'll do the NPH one after I get the cucumber one. Nothing wrong with having a list of the margs you need to have lol!
. I just am so disappointed in the Cake Pop Nitro dessert. The regular Nitro dessert from previous years was so much better!
I agree; I never got the Nitro dessert other years but Steve has so I've tried it and I loved it. But hey at least they had a festival!
Love hearing about the low crowds but I really don't think we are going to be that lucky for our trip in a few weeks.
I think those low crowds are gone; and I'm ok with that. It means people are traveling and not only do I need that for work but Disney needs that ❤
I love, love, love the cucumber margarita! I have tried the avocado and enjoyed it as well but the cucumber is #1! :)
Yup from now on that'll be my Mexico go-to :drinking1

I'm finally here!

Your dinner at Terralina Crafted looks so good. I pretty much like any Italian restaurant though…remember I'm the one person here who actually likes Tony's…so I'm sure I' love it!

We tried some of the same food at EPCOT but were supposed to go back a second day and never made it. I'm still mad than I've never had an Avocado Margarita. That was on the list for our second go-round. Oh well, next time!

I'm curious to hear what happened and why you switched from BRV to CCV. I'm also curious to hear if you liked the CCV studio? We actually didn't like it AT ALL. I'll save it for my TR though.

Ugh I feel like the brown box really ruins the taste for some reason! Even still we had them at 2 TS restaurants and they weren't any better😥

This is depressing news, not even good at the TS restaurants.

Yeah same, that was alot of sugar and I do love sugar! I hope you guys had a great trip!

We did have a great trip! It had it's ups and downs. I think the best day was MK when we dressed up.

. But do you guys not have takeout open? Because no chinese! We always had takeout open we just had to either pick up curbside or only a few people were allowed in to pick up!
Take out is still available for most people but because I’m “shielding” I’ve been instructed to avoid any unnecessary contact with anyone I don’t live with which basically means I get to go to hospital appointments and that’s it. This last few days we have gone on a wee drive after my appointments just to look at the world a little but it’s very quiet out. Truthfully there are days when I would probably risk the take out but I live with Mr Cautious who would never enjoy it for worry so for the sake of another few weeks I’ll be sensible. I am totally scundered with our own cooking though. I miss being social and then just tonight on the news there’s a poor family who didn’t play by the rules and the dad has just died from Covid and they are so filled with regret that I think it’s a small price to pay to stay home for a bit longer. My closest friend’s husband and 3 children have all tested positive and yet she tested negative. They all live together and you just wonder how it is that 1 person stays free from it! Fingers crossed things will get better soon. We will all come through this together and life will be sweeter for it no doubt. Hopefully things don’t get to bad in your neck of the woods 🤞

I'm finally here!
Yay 🎉
Your dinner at Terralina Crafted looks so good. I pretty much like any Italian restaurant though…remember I'm the one person here who actually likes Tony's…so I'm sure I' love it!
LOL I will admit I'm intrigued by Tony's and kind of want to go back. We were there years ago, I think 2014, and it wasn't all that terrible. So I'd be up for trying it again but you should also try Terralina!
We tried some of the same food at EPCOT but were supposed to go back a second day and never made it. I'm still mad than I've never had an Avocado Margarita. That was on the list for our second go-round. Oh well, next time!
Ugh that stinks! But you know now that I've tried the Cucumber one I think you'd like that better. Sorry you didn't get there again!
I'm curious to hear what happened and why you switched from BRV to CCV. I'm also curious to hear if you liked the CCV studio? We actually didn't like it AT ALL. I'll save it for my TR though.
I just wrote about it in my TR :) Kind of an abbreviated version since it wasn't horrible and I hate that I complained but it had to be done! We do really like CCV. When we stayed with the boys we had that awesome corner room that there's only 5 of that is more like a 1 bedroom and we liked the layout of this studio as well as the decor. I mean I rather be on the Lodge side but at least I was at my Lodge. So now I wnat to hear why you didn't like it!
We did have a great trip! It had it's ups and downs. I think the best day was MK when we dressed up.
I think most trips these days if you have kids with you have ups and downs! Our 2 trips were so good but the no hopping and fewer places to eat could qualify as "downs".
. My closest friend’s husband and 3 children have all tested positive and yet she tested negative. They all live together and you just wonder how it is that 1 person stays free from it!
Ricky's friend tested positive. He came home from college, his mom and brother left to stay with the grandparents and his dad stayed with him. Dad never tested positive. My good friends BIL and 2 of their 3 kids tested positive while mom and the middle kid did not! Although more serious I assume it's like when some get the flu but not the whole household.
We will all come through this together and life will be sweeter for it no doubt. Hopefully things don’t get to bad in your neck of the woods 🤞
We will :goodvibes We need patience, and 2021 lol!

LOL I will admit I'm intrigued by Tony's and kind of want to go back. We were there years ago, I think 2014, and it wasn't all that terrible. So I'd be up for trying it again but you should also try Terralina!
We ate there for dinner way back in 2007, and we were all so gung-ho to try to spaghetti because HELLO, Lady and the Tramp! My brother even "nosed" a meatball across his plate at his then girlfriend, now wife, LOL.

We were all so sad with our spaghetti. It just disappointed :( BUT we had loved that we got to sit out on the little porch and watch the Once Upon a Christmastime parade on New Year's Eve no less!! The ambiance was perfect, but the meal was a letdown, so we never went back.

Knowing @buzzrelly s love for Tony's, when we were there in July and looking for a dinner reservation at the last minute, we decided to give it another try. We LOVED our meals this time around, the server was sweet as can be, and we left really glad that we'd given it another try!

@buzzrelly I wanted you to know you are not alone in your love of Tony's...we had tried it a long time ago and weren't impressed at all. Then DH and I revisited it in August of this year and we really enjoyed it...service and food all very good. We have one ADR for our next trip...might add another one.

So yes @CruellaNY you should give at another try sometime soon. Since we do plan to go back this month I'll do another writeup then just to confirm and maybe even try some different stuff this time.

Just for reference, these little cheese bites in the middle...so good...really too good to share so might need my own next time:

And though not really Italian, my Caesar salad was pretty good too...and DH really enjoyed his seafood pasta (in the background):

The rest of my Italian family will hopefully be able to provide more food reviews next month!

Knowing @buzzrelly s love for Tony's, when we were there in July and looking for a dinner reservation at the last minute, we decided to give it another try. We LOVED our meals this time around, the server was sweet as can be, and we left really glad that we'd given it another try!
So yes @CruellaNY you should give at another try sometime soon. Since we do plan to go back this month I'll do another writeup then just to confirm and maybe even try some different stuff this time.
OK you've both convinced me I want to try it again lol so I looked to switch one of our MK lunches next month to Tony's but alas no availability. I'll keep looking though!

Hellooo out there! Thanks as always for sticking with me! Whenever I attempt two reports at once one always falls by the wayside and since starting my Sept TR, it's been this one. Add a super busy week and you get a lapse in updates! But here I am, and before I get back to Disney food I'll share a delicious treat Steve and I had last weekend at 6 Flags Hallowfest in New Jersey:

That is a funnel cake with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and lots and lots of snickers on it! The best part of the night because if you think reports of crowds at Disney are scary (which FYI I don't), there was NO type of social distancing or mask enforcement or basic personal hygiene going on whatsoever! Now for more sweets let's move on to our birthday boys dinner :)

Shortly before our trip we heard that Narcoossee's was reopening about 2 days before we arrived. Now we originally had Il Mulino booked for Steve;s birthday and I was fine with this as I love it; Steve enjoys it so he was ok but really wanted Narcoossee's or Citricos. I was also excited for Jenny @Jenny Sanders and Joe to try it for the first time because they were joining us! But again when we heard Narcoossee's was opening I grabbed that for 7:45 and man were we all happy to be back! Our server who's name I forgot had been there since 1974; 1974!!!! He didn't look any older than me lol. He told us about serving the NBA which we found interesting and said how happy he was to be "really" open now.
We did not have any apps and I did horrible with pictures so I don't even remember what Steve drank; I know I had a nice Riesling. I also know we both got their fabulous filet:

Grass Fed Filet Mignon*
Yukon Gold Mash, Roasted Carrots, Cipollini Onions, Red Wine-Oxtail Reduction

This is my #2 go-to after a pasta dish that unfortunately is not on the menu post-COVID. But that's ok because this filet is always fantastic with that red wine reduction and the potatoes were creamy like butter. Steve usually goes with some fish here but he's gotten the filet before and was just feeling beef on his birthday.

There should be no question as to what I got for dessert! When at Narcoossee's you, or at least someone at your table, NEEDS to get this:

Almond-crusted Cheesecake
with Lambert Cherry Sauce

It's not too big and not too filling believe it or not; that cream over there is MmMm! And the cherry sauce just makes it. The whole dessert reminds me of a Good Humor bar I used to get when I was little:

Steve planned to share with me despite the fact that I don't share desserts, but luckily our server saw that in me and brought Steve his own birthday boy dessert:

This was a tiramisu which is not on the menu right now? I don't know if it was on the menu that night or if it was just their "we have a few left so we'll give them to birthday peeps" dessert but it was decent. Neither of us are huge tiramisu fans but it's the thought that counts!

I have no pics of Jenny and Joe from this night but they not only were there but offered us an Uber ride back to CCV in their smokey Budget rental car :rotfl2:Long story but they had a not so positive rental experience that resulted in a not so positive smelling vehicle. We always give 5 starts for friendship but no 5 stars for smell!

It was LATE when we got back because after not seeing our friends for a whole 2 months we needed to catch up! We did have somewhat of an early morning though, as we had a BG to try to get which we attempted while waiting here:

No BG for us that trip >:( probably punishment for us walking out of HS after our BG was called in July without riding! I won't go into our HS morning here; suffice it to say it was NO BUENO. In fact it got me so uptight I really needed a BM!

And by BM I mean Bloody Mary of course:

Bloody Mary
Hanger 1 Lime Vodka and Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix garnished with Celery and Olives

Steve tried something different:

Hollywood Manhattan
Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey, and Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth garnished with Luxardo Cherries

Long story short we asked at Hollywood Brown Derby if we could be seated like 45 minutes early and they were happy to accommodate us! I had told Jenny how good the Bloody Mary I had here in July was so we both ordered that and I believe she agreed it was good! Joe on the other hand decided to be bright and shiny:

I'm not sure what that was but hey, it's pretty! Now that we all had drinks we ordered our food. Steve went with the same entree he had in July because it was super good:

Shrimp and Grits:

I don't have the description of this because, like the Narcoossee's tiramisu, this is as of tonight not showing on the menu! I really hope that's a mistake because we have this planned for lunch next month as well and I also know @kittylady1972 enjoyed this dish not long ago! At that stupid picture limit so on to another post...........

I wasn't starving because about an hour before I'd had a huge pink frosted donut from the Joffrey's cart- don't judge! So I just got an app which also happened to be the one I ordered in July:

Heirloom Tomato and Burrata Salad
Shaved Onions, Thai Basil, Gremolata, Citrus Vinaigrette

I know I was going heavy on the tomatoes this meal but this was so good and I can neve get enough burrata in Disney. Not quite as creamy as Flying Fish or Terralina but good nonetheless! I enjoy the onions here as well as the basil.

Jenny ordered the HBD specialty, and let our server toss that Cobb Salad for her:

None of us had a great morning at HS with Steve and I only riding TOT once and I don't think Jenny and Joe rode anything before lunch because waits were sky-high when they arrived at the park, but having a good lunch with great friends saved the day. And for the 2nd meal in a row Steve was treated to a birthday dessert!

Grapefruit Cake
Vanilla Sponge Cake with Grapefruit Syrup, Grapefruit Cheesecake, and Grapefruit Jam. A Brown Derby Original!

This was sweet but none of us were interested in trying it at first because none of us are big on grapefruit. But then Jenny and I tried it and surprisingly the grapefruit is not overpowering. Steve tried it then and liked it; as long as you avoid that syrup on the sides (unless you love grapefruit) it's a nice light cake.

After lunch Jenny and Joe went to wait in a long line for MMRR while we went for a skyliner ride for Steve to look at CBR for the first time since at that point we had it reserved for our February trip. We are now at GDT lol. I honestly think CBR is a pretty resort:

But just from a quick look around Steve said it was too spread out. After getting off the skyliner at Epcot and going to the Screen Door Store on the BW to find bathing suits someone had forgotten to pack :poop: we returned to CCV for our first dip in the Boulder Ridge pool! So refreshing because it was so hot; just wish there was a bar there. We relaxed and refreshed for an hour or so before going back to our room to get ready for a big night out with MULTIPLE friends! Oh but first I stopped in Roaring Fork. @pkondz can you guess what I grabbed?

And for you and anyone else who wants it here are the official ingredients!

Due to a little thing called COVID all the treats are now packaged individually including my Magic Bars so this is the first time I've actually seen the ingredients. At the time I meant to compare these against the recipe I used during quarantine to make my own but haven't yet - on the TO DO list! Next up is dinner in Disney Springs at another new to us restaurant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts