Mickey's Halloween Party and Halloween Time Superthread 2018!!

This will be our first trip to Disneyland. (We have been to WDW five times over the past 16 or so years, but never attended a 'party'.) The timing of our trip just happens to fall the last week of October. I could not resist and bought MHP tickets for Halloween. Has anyone been there on actual Halloween night?

There are lots of tips for making the most of MHP. You'll read many of them here and in the Halloween Time Superthreads from past years. Some of the tips change from year to year as the party changes, but other tips are solid and apply to pretty much any MHP. Make note of the do's and don'ts (we've had readers blow these off or outright rebel, then vent their regrets here later), always have a back up plan, and you'll do just fine.
For example, the overlap hours when party guests are allowed in early and day guests are still in the parks are usually pretty crowded, especially in the front parts of the parks (e.g. Main Street and BVS). FP rides will be crowded then, too, as party guests and day guests compete for FP/MP and stand by spots. This is normal and will calm down gradually as the day guests have to leave the park when the party starts. As long as you know and expect this, you can plan around it. Don't start all your plans right in the most crowded parts of the parks! (You'd think this is common sense, but, oh, you'd be surprised how many people make this mistake, then spend the rest of the night following the heaviest crowds around the party, while complaining the whole time!)

Thank you so much for the advice and we will definitely do our homework.

We are local now and the kids are 21, 19, and almost 17 and it hadn't occurred to me to go but with DH's CM discount we can get 5 tickets for $375! I feel like I need to decide soon. :hyper:

Does anybody have an opinion regarding crowd sizes during Friday parties vs. parties held during the week? We will be there the first week and can either attend the Wednesday party or the Friday party. Because Friday is our last night there, I'm thinking that going on Friday night might be a good way to say farewell, as opposed to fighting the growing, non-party crowd at DCA. Just a thought. Any opinion is appreciated.

I’ll update post 2 with sell outs if you guys are able to keep me informed since I already bought my tickets (going 10/12 and 10/26).
Ditto...I'll also keep the 2018 Calendar Thread updated as the dates sell out.

Does anybody have an opinion regarding crowd sizes during Friday parties vs. parties held during the week? We will be there the first week and can either attend the Wednesday party or the Friday party. Because Friday is our last night there, I'm thinking that going on Friday night might be a good way to say farewell, as opposed to fighting the growing, non-party crowd at DCA. Just a thought. Any opinion is appreciated.
DLR doesn't publicize how many tickets they sell per night, but my guess is that it's roughly the same. I haven't noticed that much a difference between the weeknight and weekend parties.

This will be our first trip to Disneyland. (We have been to WDW five times over the past 16 or so years, but never attended a 'party'.) The timing of our trip just happens to fall the last week of October. I could not resist and bought MHP tickets for Halloween. Has anyone been there on actual Halloween night?

We went last year on Halloween (a tuesday) both with hoppers and the party. the day was AWESOME. nothing got above a 15 min standby wait at DL. The party was fun too, more crowded than the day but the treat trails moved quickly and standby waits were still pretty short. We walked onto pirates and a few other things. Parade started at 8:50 and we got our spots at 7:20...things were starting to fill up and it was one of the last curb spots I saw.

We just purchased our tickets for MHP for October 5th. We have done MNSCHM at WDW many times and we are so excited to get to experience MHP! It will also be my first Disneyland trip and a Birthday trip. We've only heard good things about Halloween time at Disneyland and all of the previous threads are making me with October was already here!

Does anybody have an opinion regarding crowd sizes during Friday parties vs. parties held during the week?..

Whle a sold out party is relatively crowded no matter which day of the week it's on, the one thing we've noticed on weeknight parties is that the crowds really thin noticeably after fireworks because parents take school age kids home right after the show. On Fridays, the kids can stay a bit later. So they will still leave before the end of the party, but not "en masse" like on a weeknight.

We just purchased our tickets for MHP for October 5th. We have done MNSCHM at WDW many times and we are so excited to get to experience MHP! It will also be my first Disneyland trip and a Birthday trip. We've only heard good things about Halloween time at Disneyland and all of the previous threads are making me with October was already here!
It's on my bucket list to go to MNSSHP hopefully one of these. You will have a blast at DL. :)

Last edited:
I just bought our tickets two days ago! We are going on my 50th birthday! I said I must turn 50 at Disneyland in order to cope. It turns out one of party dates is that day! It will just be DH and I with two day park hoppers. We've never been in the fall before because we are both teachers but making this fall a priority! So this will be our first fall trip and first Halloween party. I will keep reading this thread to pick up any tips I may not know about.

I got my tickets for 9/26 on Tuesday (6/12) for my friends and I. I cannot wait as it is our first time at DLR and our first Mickey's Halloween Party. Two of my friends going with me have been to MNSSHP, but not the other. It should be fun!!!!!

We went last year to see the Haunted Mansion NBC...loved it. Going back this year.

Will the 'Frightfully Fun' parade go this year? And will they have the Calaveras attraction they had last year? Both different from WDW--we've been to the MNSSHOP several times and am eager to see these new to us things!

Take a photo or a screen shot of each ticket with a clear image of the bar code and numbers, just in case something happens to the original tickets. We always print hard copies, too, to store in a safe place. It's a long time until Sept./Oct. and stuff happens. Last year, someone threw her tickets away by mistake. A photo or hard copy would have come in really handy!
Last year, we were there Nov. 3-5. Nov 5 was when they put up the big tree.

We were planning to visit DL (first time for our kids) in late october..we were looking forward for the halloween decor but not planning to attend the party.

Now that I know that non-party guests are asked to exit the Park at the time of the party (6-7 pm) i was wondering if we should plan for different dates?

Hi there,

On a Tuesday with a Halloween party, just wondering what the expected hours are for each park? Just wondering what time California adventure will close? Does it stay open late to accommodate non-party crowds?

We went last year to see the Haunted Mansion NBC...loved it. Going back this year. Will the 'Frightfully Fun' parade go this year?
The Frightfully Fun Parade, along with the Headless Horseman, are listed on the website under event highlights, so baring technical difficulties, they should be presented!

And will they have the Calaveras attraction they had last year? Both different from WDW--we've been to the MNSSHOP several times and am eager to see these new to us things!
What is the Calaveras attraction?

Now that I know that non-party guests are asked to exit the Park at the time of the party (6-7 pm) i was wondering if we should plan for different dates?
It depends on whether you have flexibility in your schedule and what dates specifically you were thinking of going. If you have the choice between a Friday and a Saturday, I would opt for the Saturday because DL will be open late and there should be nighttime entertainment (e.g., fireworks, F!, etc.). In general, if you aren't planning on going to the party, I would probably opt to go to the parks on a non-party day just because you don't have to contend with the earlier closing and the potential uptick in crowds during the overlap period.

On a Tuesday with a Halloween party, just wondering what the expected hours are for each park? Just wondering what time California adventure will close? Does it stay open late to accommodate non-party crowds?
Park hours can vary, but wdwinfo has the historic hours from September and October 2017 posted. It seems like DCA closed at 8:00 pm on most weeknight days last year in October, regardless of whether there was a MHP or not. DL "closed" to non-party guests at 6:00 pm, the start time of the Tuesday parties.

The Frightfully Fun Parade, along with the Headless Horseman, are listed on the website under event highlights, so baring technical difficulties, they should be presented!

What is the Calaveras attraction?

It depends on whether you have flexibility in your schedule and what dates specifically you were thinking of going. If you have the choice between a Friday and a Saturday, I would opt for the Saturday because DL will be open late and there should be nighttime entertainment (e.g., fireworks, F!, etc.). In general, if you aren't planning on going to the party, I would probably opt to go to the parks on a non-party day just because you don't have to contend with the earlier closing and the potential uptick in crowds during the overlap period.

Park hours can vary, but wdwinfo has the historic hours from September and October 2017 posted. It seems like DCA closed at 8:00 pm on most weeknight days last year in October, regardless of whether there was a MHP or not. DL "closed" to non-party guests at 6:00 pm, the start time of the Tuesday parties.

Ah so the latest you can stay in the parks if you don't have a Halloween ticket is 8pm...well I guess WOC would prob show at 8:15pm like it did last year, and then the shops are open a bit later?

Just to clarify, guest without a MHP ticket, but with a valid ticket for DCA, can remain in DCA until that park closes. Based on last year's calendar, that was generally 8:00 pm on a weeknight. (Non-MHP guests must exit DL at the start of the party; I cannot remember if guests could continue to shop on Main Street for an additional hour or not, but I know the shops further inside the park were checking for wristbands at the start of the party time). In DCA, the shops on BVS typically remain open for an hour after DCA closes and there is often a WoC slated for just after the park closes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter