military balls-anyone else dread them?

lyeag

DIS Veteran
Maybe it's just me, but as I get older I find I really don't look forward to these things. Any thoughts? Or am I just wierd?

I don't either. They are usually long and boring.

I have always wanted to go to one, ust to get all gussied up, but there are none around here!

I always enjoyed them when DH was active duty. Nice to get a new dress and a date with DH.

Since he has been in reserves they have tried to have one each year. One was scheduled for 10/01 and was cancelled due to respect for 9/11 victims. Next 2 years was cancelled as most of the battalion was busy training and activating soldiers to go overseas (DH worked many extra weekends). Next year DH changed battalions so he could pin on LTC rank. Of course they plucked him to go to Iraq not long after this. They are about to have a ball, but DH is not here with his battalion to enjoy it(though the ball is not even in this state-he traveled for drill). Oh well. :guilty:
I actually still have a new black dress and shoes waiting for over 3 years to be worn! One day!

I went to two when DH and I were just dating and he was in the USMC reserves. They were NICE parties! They were at the San Francisco Marriott, and they were quite formal, but yet a real party atmosphere. I was only 18 and 19 when I went, so I enjoyed the party and dressing up scene back then, but I think I would still enjoy it! But, unfortunately, the OR Nat'l Guard does nothing like this- there is the Molly Pitcher dinner at Christmas time, but DH has always been embarrassed to bring me because I guess it's pretty low-brow compared to the USMC Birthday Ball. We will probably go once he's home from Iraq, because I think he will feel more of a commeraderie (SP?) with these guys.

I have been to several types. My late husband was in the Marines. I had the best time at the enlisted balls. Maybe because we were young! Anyway, it seems more trouble than it is worth, and it also seems very political. Dh is a captain, and I hate to say it, but I haven't found too many down to earth officer's wives to be friends with. Most of them think their husband's rank entitles them to something special.

I bought a great dress, and on big sale 54$, so at least I can't complain about spending too much money.

I used to love to go to the military balls. DH and I always had a great time...course I'm also a sucker for a man in dress blues....

Hi There,

Serving member of the RAF in the UK, as a member of the Sgt's mess we love the formal events, although on the way there I hate them but always end up having a great time.

:Pinkbounc

I think that I have mixed feelings on them, they are quite a lot of fun, but I hate to spend all the money on a new dress everytime, unfortunately I can't just shop the clearance racks after prom, I'm 6'2" so I have to order dresses with extra length, the food is generally gross, and it is very long, but I generally drink enough wine to make it enjoyable :cool1:

I've only been to one so far, and it was at the American Embassy in Saudi Arabia. I thought it was Fabulous! I didn't even really have a date...this was before I met my dh, etc and I just went with a friend. The food was great and it was beautifully decorated. I believe it was the Air Force birthday ball?? I can't remember. It was in the summer of 02.

Now my dh and I are in Kuwait as GS contractors and I can't wait to go to the Balls!! I tried to get him to go when we were working at SOCOM (as active reservists) but something always came up. When we got here HE actually brought it up. I've already been scoping out dresses at the malls. Lol. :banana:

Oh I'm getting old... 30 in June, but good thing I will be in Tech School. That's one b-day I'm not looking forward to. But anyway back to the military balls. I just love them. :) I look forward to them every year. Although this year will be different because I am now in the Air Force, so no more regular formals for me it will be the dress blues :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter