Minnie Vans now charging flat fee plus mileage.

I tip generally 10% - 20% to taxi drivers. Uber and Lyft it depends on the ride. Short rides tend to get a lot more as a percentage. I did a ride this weekend that came out to $12 and I tipped $4 which is actually around 30%, but she was nice, had a clean car and overall it felt about right. The app actually prompted me with 10 and 20 percent calculations.

When I took Minnie I was under the impression that you weren't suppose to tip them. Guess that's changed.

They weren't supposed to be tipped positions, but Disney never bothered to turn off tips in the app, so it became an assumed tipped position.
Sort of. It's officially a tipped position now.
When it first started and they were still temporary and waiting to see if it would "take hold", they were in a job category that was not supposed to accept tips. (Like a CL CM or tour guide)
When it was evident it was popular and was going to be made permanent (as permanent as anything at Disney ever is) their jobs were recategorized and they are now in a position that can accept tips.

Do the drivers earn less hourly pay now that it is considered a tipped position?
Sort of. It's officially a tipped position now.
When it first started and they were still temporary and waiting to see if it would "take hold", they were in a job category that was not supposed to accept tips. (Like a CL CM or tour guide)
When it was evident it was popular and was going to be made permanent (as permanent as anything at Disney ever is) their jobs were recategorized and they are now in a position that can accept tips.

Do the drivers earn less hourly pay now that it is considered a tipped position?

I highly doubt it. It would be beyond callous to reduce someone's wage once they are hired at a certain amount. People count on that money to live off of. If anything they would probably not get any wage increase for a while with Disney saying that they get tips now.

I wonder if Disney now regrets not recognizing the Minnie Van driver position as a tipped position from the get go? Do they consider the drivers of the Magical Expresses tipped positions?

I wonder if Disney now regrets not recognizing the Minnie Van driver position as a tipped position from the get go? Do they consider the drivers of the Magical Expresses tipped positions?
I'm sure they do not because it was a trial program at the beginning

There are two areas where Minnie Vans provide something the competition cannot.

1) multiple car seats. If you have more than one child who needs a car seat, there's no guarantee Uber XL will be able to accommodate you, so MV will be your best bet.

2) if you're looking for fast access to MK. There are time where skipping the trip from the TTC is worth it, such as trying to make rope drop, and MVs are the only car hire that can drop off directly at MK. We're die-hard rope-droppers, and if an opening or two changes for our upcoming trip, I might be in this position of trying to make two RDs. Or, honestly, I might just want to sleep a bit more and still get to RD early.
And direct transport to Hoop Dee Do.

It’s all about families and car seats. We need a car seat and uber up charges massively for them. First it was less at 20 then it was about even at 25 now it’s slightly more depending on the trip. Now if you need a car seat would you pay 5-10 more dollars to get these things. A new seat, one you know never has been in an accident, a trained professional who know how to install them forward facing or rear facing, proper safety checks and much more when it comes to your kids life you will pay extra trust me. Let alone if you need 2 car seats you have no options on uber. Of course singles or people with no kids it’s 100% not worth it unless your going to tails end. Glad they are increasing the price bc when I need it for my young kids I will be able to get one.
We took a cab 3 times last March with a car seat (provided by cab) between 3 different places. Never paid over $20 plus tip. Cabs are generally waiting right outside the resorts. We also used Minnie Vans twice in July for $25 + tip each. Cabs were fine for us.

I'm mildly surprised, I priced out Boardwalk to Pioneer Hall and it was only $26.10. I may stick with my plan to Minnie Van to Hoop next month, after all.
Good to know. We are going to Hoop on the 29th of Dec from Boardwalk. That price is definitely worth not having to deal with Disney transportation there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!