Mistake gender on ultrasound...has this happened to anyone?

coneygoil

Mouseketeer
My husband and I just found out we were having a girl. As soon as we started telling people (or should I say people found out from my mother-in-law...lol), I started getting all these stories about the doctor getting the gender wrong. I know there's a chance this can happen. It happened to my MIL for her second child. She found out a week before my BIL was born that he was actually a boy instead of girl, but that was 23 years ago. I'm not appreciating all these gender mistaken stories people are telling me. I'm just wondering how much does this really happen? Who on here has had it happen, especially as of the last few years.

My "daughter" is an 8 yr old boy.
I had my u/s around 22 weeks... was told he was a girl.
had a few doubts, but "the dr SAID". my first pg, we started buying boy clothes as soon as i got a positive - and i was right.

I'm the only person I know that this has happened to.

My SIL is pregnant and she read an article that said college educated women have a 70% change of "knowing" what their baby is. High school educated, 50%. So I asked my college educated co-worker, she was right for 5 of her 6 children.

i think in today's world it doesn't happen like it did back then. i know when i was pregnant 2 years ago with my son, the tech wasn't a 100% sure because of the way my son was laying so she told me to come back in a week to try again (bc i just had to know! and was devastated when 20 weeks came and i didn't know) and she was able to confirm , and when i had my daughter i know lots of people are like well you never know until the later weeks to make sure its not really a boy. people were scaring me too...trust yourself and trust your tech! lol and congrats by the way

I had a friend who had a closet full of pretty pink dresses. She delivered a strapping ten pound son and was totally shocked.

From what I understand, if they say "boy", they are more likely to be correct.

I know it happened to my friend but her son just turned 18. I think it also depends on how early your ultrasound was, etc...

I think she had hers a little earlier than usual or something. She has since had 2 more children, a boy & a girl and the ultrasound was correct on both of those.

I know of one "girl" who turned out to be a boy. It was a shock to the parents. If there's a mistake, it's usually this scenario.

My cousin is an ultrasound tech and said this does still happen but it is rare. It is also much more common for a boy to me mistaken for a girl then the other way around. Mistaking a girl for a boy requires seeing something that isn't there while mistaking a boy for a girl merely requires missing it. It still does happen the other way around too but even less often.

My nephew was supposed to be a girl. He is 24 now. I was always told to look for the "hamburger" or "turtle".:rotfl2:

I knew what I was going to have before I did the ultrasound. I had told my DH both times that it was going to be boys. He agreed with me. Good luck with what ever you have!:hug:

I have a 2 yr old son who was a girl till my 32 week. Thank goodness baby r us ha s a good return policy. I had painted my whole world pink by then. Its rare but not impossible. YOu will probably have another ultrasound so ask ur tech to recheck.

Yes, it happens, but rarely enough that you shouldn't stress over it! And it is more likely that a
Mistake will be made in calling it "girl" when it's actually a boy. But follow up ultrasounds should clear this up. The further along you are, the harder it is to get it wrong!

I had a client that was told she was having a boy to then have a girl. And I have a friend who cousin had twins & they knew one was a boy but could never get a "good" look at the other which was a girl.

Kae

My aunt has 2 sons that she had been told were girls. When she had the ultrasound for the third child obviously my aunt didn't believe the doctor when yet again it was supposed to be a girl.

She was pleasantly surprised when a girl actually was born:rotfl2::rotfl:

My "daughter" is now a rambunctious just-turned-10 year old boy! And all the old wives' tales suggested we were having a girl...

We did not want to know what we were having, so our ultrasound tech asked if we would be okay with her writing down the gender and sealing it until my post-partum checkup. We then had a second ultrasound with my mom present...she had gone to her OB/Gyne and asked him how to tell the difference between a boy and a girl. Mom was bragging about how she was going to know the gender before anyone else! Turns out my child was quite smart (or uncomfortable in his previous position) because as soon as Mom leaned in to see the gender, my baby turned and mooned us! Mom couldn't see a thing...tee hee! I went back to my six week checkup where the doctor opened the gender envelope, looked at my son, and said, "Good thing you didn't find out the gender!"

My aunt was expecting a daughter... she turned out to be hiding something pretty important I remember my mom getting the call saying she was a he... I had to go bring my aunt boy clothes to take him home in. She didn't have a name picked either so his older brother named him after his favorite power ranger... Zack. :rotfl: Other than that I dont know anyone. He is almost 17 I'm sure ultrasound has gotten better over the years as well. I knew what all 4 of mine were the moment I pee'd on the stick. :rotfl: At my fourth ultrasound it was pretty obvious what he was the second she put that thing on my belly. I told her what I was having... he was NOT shy about it... still isn't :laughing:

It happened to me! My "girl" is actually a beautiful an almost 12 year old boy!

My first ultrasound was at 18 1/2 weeks. The technician said she was 99% sure it was a girl. I had already had a boy and there were a lot of people who wanted me to have a girl. I asked the tech if she'd ever been wrong. She said she had been wrong only once in 20 years and, in that case, there was something wrong with the baby and it was hard to tell for sure. I still had this little doubt in the back of my mind while the rest of my family celebrated. When people asked me what I was having I would say, "Well, supposedly it's a girl but we'll see when I have it."

I had another ultrasound at 37 weeks with the same technician. I asked her to make sure it was a still a girl so she checked that first. I watched her face sink and her forehead wrinkle as she said, "I'm seeing testicles!" She took all the measurements and said he was a perfect baby boy. I asked her how she could have been wrong and she gave me a pretty simple explanation. The boy parts develop inside of the body and drop down at some point, up until 32 weeks. I asked her why she would say she was 99% sure it was a girl when there was still a good chance it could be a boy. She said she didn't know and she wouldn't do that anymore.

A week later, I had a beautiful 9 lb., 12 oz. boy. He's a wonderful person and I wouldn't give up knowing him for the world! Although it's not common, ultrasound technicians can be wrong.

Yes, my neighbor had this happen to her. They were told they were having a girl. When the baby was born the doctor told her congratulations on the birth of your son. She and her husband were blind-sided. I think some ultrasounds are done too early since the male and female genitals look fairly similar for quite some time.

http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

my eight year old son was suppose to be a girl as well. the ultrasound tech was 99.9% positive I was having a girl. During my pregnancy however my doc will always call the baby a boy (and I would correct him) I ended up going over ten days and I remember him telling my dd she was having a stubborn brother. He was positve (and he wasn't there for the ultrasound) at the delivery he told me he was usually right :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!