Mistake gender on ultrasound...has this happened to anyone?

I had twins, one time they could only see one child, and it was a boy, another time they could only see one child and it was a girl. So between the 2 ultrasounds we figured we are either having 2 boys(with the tech just missed seeing something) or a boy and a girl. We got the boy and girl and they turned 6 yesterday!

I have not known anyone personally, but the only 100% proof of sex is birth. :goodvibes:

And sometimes not even then... :teacher:

I'm presently doing research on intersex conditions for my work, and a surprising number of babies are born with "ambiguous genitalia". It happens in about 1 of every 2000 births, much higher than your chance of being born with cystic fibrosis, which is only 1 in every 3600 children.

It's not even as simple as looking for xx or xy, because you can have other combinations like xo, or xxyy, or xy boys who appear to be girls in every way physically, or even individual children who have some cells with xy chromosomes and other cells with xx.

OP - Don't worry! I'm not saying that's even REMOTELY the case here, but it's just really interesting stuff. Gender isn't a simple matter of boy-or-girl.

Oh, and yes, they DO still make mistakes on the ultrasound. I recommend buying gender neutral stuff until your beautiful baby is born. :goodvibes

I just don't put a ton of confidence in ultrasounds unless they are saying 'boy'...for obvious reasons.

LOL! There is no doubt in anyone's mind that my little peanut is a boy! I have had weekly ultrasounds since 32 weeks...and it's very obvious!!! My husband still feels reassured each time the tech points to the boy parts though.

I have heard of the issue where a boy is mistaken for a girl in the ultrasound. I didn't believe the Dr. when he told me DD was a girl -- his response was, "It's a hamburger, not a hotdog." Yes, on my questioning look, he learned that in medical school....

From what i was told from my friend who is a technician is that they are not looking for the "boy part" they are actually looking for the girls ovaries...if they dont see ovaries then they look for the "boy part" to confirm boy.. but if they see ovaries automatically confirm girl

I have heard of the issue where a boy is mistaken for a girl in the ultrasound. I didn't believe the Dr. when he told me DD was a girl -- his response was, "It's a hamburger, not a hotdog." Yes, on my questioning look, he learned that in medical school....

I can see why he said that. We saw my DD's ultrasound, and let me tell you, she was DEFINITELY a girl. No mistake about that. It looked just like a hamburger in a roll. Now, I can see if the baby is not positioned right to get a good view, but if you can see that hamburger, there is no mistake.

Sometimes, a girls genitals are so swollen, they can look like a boy. I think that may be where some of the mistakes come in...but we had a perfect little hamburger. LOL

I have never known someone who this has happened to, and one thing to think about is how long ago it happened to the people sharing their stories. I had my daughter 7 years ago, and my son 4 years ago, and the ultrasounds are much clearer with this pregnancy than my last!

If you are particularly concerned than go to a private ultrasound place and have a 4D ultra sound. Chances are you won't be told wrong twice (though I suppose it could happen, I imagine it's pretty darn rare this day and age).

One of my favorite parts of being pregnant is buying all the cute baby things, and it's especially fun when your having a girl! I don't think you have to buy everything gender neutral, you could buy some pink frilly things (how can you not buy tutus and baby legs??? So cute!), and girly room decor. Just know that there is the very slight chance that you will be in a return line at Babies R Us if the techs were wrong, not the worst thing in the world!
(and the truth is that first babies often don't end up using most of the cute stuff you buy them, either because they don't fit them at the right time/season, or because you get so much! You will probably be in that return line or posting on Craigslist either way)

Have some fun shopping for your little girl, and congratulations!!! So exciting!

This happened to a friend of the family six years ago. The room was decorated all pink including a mural with the name Emma. The baby was a boy named Cole, so the Grandma redid everything while they were in the hospital. Crazy!

I think her ultrasound was fairly early though - like 16-18 weeks. Not sure what they saw on the ultrasound. With my DD's ultrasound the three lines were unmistakable. So if your ultrasound was past 19 weeks and you saw the 'hamburger' or the three lines I wouldn't worry about it.

With my first I was told that we were having a girl. Our ultrasound technician had never been wrong. My bassinet was pink, a closet full of pink and frilliness. I had my ultrasound around 22 weeks.

As my pregnancy progressed, I really thought I am going to have the biggest "tomboy." This little girl never quit moving, kicked the heck out of me, would literally take my breath away. My ribs would be sore. I just couldn't imagine what my girl would be like. I even began to think that Emily Elizabeth would be to girly of a name for her. On the way to the hospital, I told my husband that we needed to think of a few more names because I was worried when we saw this strong, aggressive baby that we would need a more gender neutral name. That this was not going to be a cute, little, girly-girly girl.

When "she" was born, my doctor screamed, "OMG, It's boy!" Everyone started laughing. I thought it was a joke, until the intern from India said in his cute Indian dialect, "Oh Mr. E., wish I had camera to take picture of face!" And I looked at DH and could tell, this wasn't a joke.

I had a couple of girl friends who went to my house to pack up all the pinkness and they had DH put it in the attic and they replaced it with blueness. And even put a huge sign in the yard, "It's a boy!"

Two years later I am pregnant again, having my ultrasound by the same tech and she said, "Do you want to know the sex?" I replied "No, I really don't." She then said, "Well, I'm really good at this. I've only been wrong once." At that, I turned to her smiled and said, "I'm the once."

From what i was told from my friend who is a technician is that they are not looking for the "boy part" they are actually looking for the girls ovaries...if they dont see ovaries then they look for the "boy part" to confirm boy.. but if they see ovaries automatically confirm girl

I have a boy and a girl, ages 10 & 9. I was told the same thing with my daughter. I had asked how sure she was that it was a girl, and she said "It's none of the hamburger or turtle nonsense. I see girl parts. I see the ovaries!!" I felt pretty confident then! :)

My friend didn't find out with her first and says that after the birth, the doctor claimed that they had girl written in her chart. Her son is all boy, by the way. So, I guess it does happen...

Happened to my friend. Her boy was supposedly a girl.

However, did you see it with your own eyes?

A girl will have three lines, the ol' stack of pancakes...hamburger instead of hotdog...LOL
We could see right away without the tech telling us when we had a fetal assessment at 20 weeks with our newest daughter.

Just the other day, we were waiting to get an ultrasound when another patient told her that her doctor has been wrong with her first son.

However, as good as the ultrasounds are now days, I would guess that this is very rare. Iknow that our upcoming baby is a boy, because we saw his schmekel. Similarly, we knew that Princess Wigglypants was a girl because we actually saw her bits.

The eye doesn't lie.

We know of 3 people, 2 were a few years ago (maybe 7) One the tech was absolutely sure it was a boy. Julian. The day the baby was born, a group of us went to their house to try and return clothes and paint the blue nursery pink for Julia.

The last one was my cousins daughter 8 months ago. The tech told her boy. twice. Swore up and down it was a boy. She had a baby shower where everyone bought her boys clothes. 3 weeks before her due date, the tech said they had made a mistake and it was most definately a girl.

It happened to me. I had an ultrasound at 25 weeks, and I was told it was a girl. I went crazy buying tons of girls things. The day before he was born I had another ultrasound, and it was definitely a boy. I'm glad I had a day to adjust to the fact. I would have really been shocked if I had found out when he was born. This happened in 2000.

If you are worried about it, I would suggest not buying anything gender specific for you baby up front.

We actually decided to be surprised both times.

From what I understand, if they say "boy", they are more likely to be correct.

That's what I've heard, too. If they can see the boy parts, they're almost positive it's a boy. (But based on the above stories, even that can be wrong!)

If they can't see the boy parts, they assume it's a girl, but sometimes things can be hidden. My sister's ultrasound techs would only tell her it was "90% likely" that hers were girls. (They both were.)

This happened to my coworked a few months ago. He was fully expecting and was wildly happy to be getting his first granddaughter after having three grandsons. Well, the granddaughter ended up being another grandson.

He still wants a granddaughter!

a lady I used to know told us her daughter had just built a new house and they were expecting a boy and since the house was being built (brand new) they had the baby's room done in blue walls and red firetrucks! And then the baby was born.....baby MEGAN!

It was a girl!

Our friend's hospital wouldn't tell the gender because they had been sued over false readings before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!