Mistake gender on ultrasound...has this happened to anyone?

I have 5 children. With the first 2 we didn´t want to know the gender. When we were expecting nr.3 we wanted to but she wouldn´t show. When pregnant with nr. 4 we decided again we would like to find out and at the US at 20 weeks the doctor told us we were expecting a boy. At the next ultrasound at 32 weeks (different doctor) I was once again told we were expecting a boy. Well....turns out the "boy" was in fact a little girl :)
Nr. 5 we were told was a boy, and he sure is ;)

Well ds16 is a girl. He was a girl right up to delivery. He came out the chute as a boy:eek:We were totally and completely unprepared. He came home from the hospital in a pretty pink snowsuit.:rotfl: After that we decided not to find out for the other two:thumbsup2.

With baby #3 I found out the gender. I wanted a girl and when the us tech said it was a girl I didn't believe her. However I learned from her, the office staff and the doctor that after 17 weeks it is easier to see and that my us tech had not been wrong in 17 years. (I still thought I could be the first one). She was right.

However I still was afraid to buy the pink carpet. My dh convinced me and also promised that if it really was a boy he'd have the room re-done before I came home from the hospital. LOL

That said, I "knew" from early on I was having a girl. I also sensed #2 was a boy and was right.

Happens ALL the time. Most frequently, a baby is said to be a girl and is a boy because a certain part wasn't visable.

Two co-workers in the past 2 years have brought home their bouncing baby boys in pink jumpers because the Ultrasound was wrong. Different doctors, and different labs so no common link there.

Unless they have a picture of a boys private parts - you never can be sure :)

I had a difficult pregnancy and had 3 ultrasounds. Our daughter was due October 12. Our SON was born October 26.

I had only one ultrasound my first pregnancy (17 years ago). I didn’t want to find out but DH did and I caved. The tech told us we were having a girl. Went along with the rest of the screening, measuring, etc. for another half hour or so. Just before she was done, something “popped up” for a second. Then was gone. The tech asked me “what was that?” I was like, you’re the professional! She tried again for about another 5-10 to get another view but couldn’t. She finally said she’s going to have to tell us “don’t know”. She said she really thought it was an arm or something but just in case. Good thing, because a few months later we had our baby boy!! DH’s uncle passed away just a day before the US and he was a major jokester. So we figured he was playing tricks on us from above

It happens pretty often if you are told it's a girl and it ends up being a boy. This happened to my friend, likely because she had her ultrasound at 18 weeks instead of 20. "It" didn't show up very well at 18 weeks. He's definitely a boy, though. They had SO much girl clothes that they had to return.

Old thread, but I’ll reply anyway. Newer techniques are allowing for earlier sex determination. My first ultrasound was at 11 weeks. Using nub theory, the techs were fairly confident my baby was a boy and they were correct, as confirmed by the results of the genetic testing a couple of days later.

My oldest is 6. We knew a couple who were also expecting their first, a boy, and had the same due date as us. I gave birth on our due date, the other mom went a few days late. Their son turned out to be a girl. Baby Oliver became baby Layla. Oops. I would think that it's rare to get it wrong that way. The OB practice we used does not do ultrasound after the 20 week scan unless they need to check something or issues.

My friends DD got a big surprise... They said told them a that they were having a girl and she was going to be a big baby, once in delivery room the girl's brother was born first, then the girl, they got half right, but they totally missed the brother hanging around in the back drop... Yep Twins....first in their family ever....

For the most part I think that they are right... but you really only know once they get here...

Best wishes...

We found out via blood test before our first ultrasound. It is less certain (in the 97% range as opposed to 99.999999%) but they were correct for us and each ultrasound just confirmed it. We also had 4D ultrasounds each time that made it even clearer.

It totally happens.
Part of the paperwork we had to sign at the ultrasound was a legal waiver (???) notifying us that the tech could not be 100% certain no matter what, and the techs were more than very open and up-front that they were not giving us an exact answer because ultrasounds all depend on density and angles and grainy views.
They care about healthy, normal development most of all. Finding out the gender is just a hopeful bonus and the whole clinic was VERY clear on this point.

My husband and I just found out we were having a girl. As soon as we started telling people (or should I say people found out from my mother-in-law...lol), I started getting all these stories about the doctor getting the gender wrong. I know there's a chance this can happen. It happened to my MIL for her second child. She found out a week before my BIL was born that he was actually a boy instead of girl, but that was 23 years ago. I'm not appreciating all these gender mistaken stories people are telling me. I'm just wondering how much does this really happen? Who on here has had it happen, especially as of the last few years.

Yes my 21 year old "daughter" is a wonderful 21 year old SON!

Started even before that when I was told i was having a miscarriage with him. Thankfully my doctor didn't believe in D&C. I went back and they saw heartbeat 2 weeks later -

We were told our DD6 was a boy in an early ultrasound. The tech said it was very early. At the 20 week, a different tech said it was a girl. We were surprised so she got a third tech who also said girl. She was a girl at each following ultrasound too ( I had a lot).

So, yes we were told one the wrong gender but before we bought anything or had a baby shower so it wasn’t an inconvenience..

Haha you're all making me think I need to pack a pink outfit next week just in case!:rotfl:

DD was definitely a girl. They were super clearly defined girl parts, and I had probably 10+ ultrasounds during my pregnancy. All girl. I had a heck of a pregnancy, omg the morning sickness was awful.

I've been told (and have seen) 100% boy this time around... I didn't want to believe it at 12 weeks that there was a 'boy part', but at 17 and 20 weeks, he's definitely a boy. I think the tech checked at 26 weeks also, still a boy. This pregnancy was SO different that it just HAD to be a boy-- much much easier.

That said, I think I'm still going to pack a dress just in case, though! :lmao:

I've had two boys and the pregnancies were like night and day. The first one was really rough. I had horrible IBS the whole time and puked up stomach acid almost every day of the 42-week pregnancy. The second pregnancy was super easy and I didn't have any morning sickness. The only reason I noticed I was pregnant was that my stomach kept getting bigger and occasionally the baby kicked me.

This didn’t happen to me, BUT when we went for the gender ultrasound, I think we must have gotten the worst ultrasound tech. She didn’t speak at all and she was so exasperated, seeming like she didn’t even want to be there. After looking for about a minute she said, “If I was a betting woman, which I’m NOT, I would say this is a girl,” and then she walked out. My husband and I were so at a loss. It made it hard to excitedly run out and buy a pink outfit because the lady was the biggest wet blanket. :/ Fortunately, our neighbor at the time was an ultrasound tech and she did two ultrasounda for us in her office and she excitedly confirmed we were having a girl! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!