MNSSHP Is NOT worth it

StraightToDumbo

Monorails kill dreams.
Just got back to the AoA after MNSSHP and it was a total bummer.

Pros: Hallowishes, Parade, and Hocus Pocus are awesome
MOST ride lines are walk on

Cons: Where to start? It feels just as crowded as the daytime.
Character lines are INSANE! You can do TWO during the party if you're lucky, but you won't do anything else.

We were so looking forward to this party, but it just wasn't worth it. Unless you're just going for the rides (except SDMT), I would stay clear. Until they lower their cap for these things, I don't see much benefit.

I heard last night's party was sold out.

But it always feels more crowded then it actually is because most people are not on rides. They are outside on pathways doing photopasses, magic shots, and trick or treating. Outdoor character lines also eat up space outside causing congestion.

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. Character lines are always insane.

We go for the parade, fireworks, Hocus Pocus show, treats and the fun of dressing up and walking around. We rarely/never go on rides at the party.

I'm attending my first party this year; I hope I find some value in it! My focus is on the extra entertainment like the parades and fireworks, so I think I'll be happy.

We try to limit our characters to a few must-dos. This year we are hoping for 4, so I hope we can get them done. We don't do trick or treating and wait for the second parade so that should help. So sorry it was a bust for you, OP. I hope the rest of your trick was/is magical!

We did it one year and while we loved the atmosphere, we waited to see Captain Jack for 2 hours and thought that was insane (although understandable and worth it since he did spend a lot of time with the kids). We haven't done it again but I agree that you either go for characters OR everything else but it's hard to do both. The dressing up and fireworks show was great though! That was the year before Hocus Pocus, so I'm sure it's even better now. We just can't justify the cost to bring all of the kids now.

Just got back to the AoA after MNSSHP and it was a total bummer.

Pros: Hallowishes, Parade, and Hocus Pocus are awesome
MOST ride lines are walk on

Cons: Where to start? It feels just as crowded as the daytime.
Character lines are INSANE! You can do TWO during the party if you're lucky, but you won't do anything else.

We were so looking forward to this party, but it just wasn't worth it. Unless you're just going for the rides (except SDMT), I would stay clear. Until they lower their cap for these things, I don't see much benefit.

I completely agree. I was there last night as well and was really disappointed. I have been to the Halloween party before and it was so much nicer (less crowds and it seemed to be more decorated or something). The crowds last night were crazy. It did calm down a little after the fireworks, but not much.

The one thing I noticed that I think made a huge difference was a lack of CM's directing traffic in the hub during the parade and fireworks. Normally there are a ton of them directing and telling people where they can and cannot stand. Last night was a total free-for-all. People where standing everywhere blocking complete sidewalks and walkways so people had no way to get through. There were no CM's to be found during all of it. We were standing along the little fence that goes around one of grassy areas. The grassy area was blocked off ( it looked like a small party of people wearing lanyards were in the area for a special event) People were hopping the ropes and walking in the closed "exit only" doors and making themselves at home in the area that was CLEARLY blocked off. No CM's anywhere!!

I don't think I will go again after last night. The Christmas party is so much more worth the cost.

Last edited:
I completely agree. I was there last night as well and was really disappointed. I have been to the Halloween party before and it was so much nicer (less crowds and it seemed to be more decorated or something). The crowds last night were crazy. It did calm down a little after the fireworks, but not much.

The one thing I noticed that I think made a huge difference was a lack of CM's directing traffic in the hub during the parade and fireworks. Normally there are a ton of them directing and telling people where they can and cannot stand. Last night was a total free-for-all. People where standing everywhere blocking complete sidewalks and walkways so people had no way to get through. There were no CM's to be found during all of it. We were standing along the little fence that goes around one of grassy areas. The grassy area was blocked off ( it looked like a small party of people wearing lanyards were in the area for a special event) People were hopping the ropes and walking in the closed "exit only" doors and making themselves at home in the area that was CLEARLY blocked off. No CM's anywhere!!

I don't think I will go again after last night. The Christmas party is so much more worth the cost.

Can I ask why you like the Xmas party better? We skipped Halloween party bc I just don't care for Halloween. But hope to do the Xmas party in a year or two.

I completely agree. I was there last night as well and was really disappointed.

Tell tale sign for me was the last Hocus Pocus show and second parade. Both had insane crowds. The hub was FULL AT MIDNIGHT! That did it for me. Even ride lines didn't chill for a few hours into the party.

Just wanted to share that we did the similar Sunday night party last year, 2016 and it was the last CM discount and only party that sold out other than 10/30 and 10/31 (I think, I could be wrong). Pretty sure if was the final CM discount again this year. It was REALLY crowded and not that fun but we decided to go again this year on the Friday of this weekend instead. It was significantly less crowded, we had a great time - walk on rides, easy trick or treating, front row seat for first parade 5 minutes before it started. Unfortunately, I think that one Sunday kinda stinks and is not representative of MNSSHP overall. I know its a bummer.

Can I ask why you like the Xmas party better? We skipped Halloween party bc I just don't care for Halloween. But hope to do the Xmas party in a year or two.

I feel like there is more holiday spirit at the Christmas one. It really gets you in the mood for the holidays and feels really magical. I LOVE Halloween and feel that Disney did little to decorate and put people in the Halloween mood. Threw up some green and orange lighting and played mediocre Halloween music, that's really it. The other pumpkin and straw decor is up all day and not special for the party. I did not walk away excited for Halloween. When we go to the Christmas party I walk away excited for Christmas after that party. The snow on Main Street really makes that party special.

I don't know if it was a bad week, but the crowds are INSANE everywhere except DHS. DS, EPCOT, AK, MK are slammed all the time. Don't know when to go anymore because apparently everything I know is wrong.

I feel this way as well. My DH and I are here for a week and leave on Friday. We have done the parks twice since we arrived last Thursday. The crowds are just insane and I don't want to deal with them. And the people seem extra oblivious for some reason. We were here in June with our kids and the crowds now are just as big as they were then.

I completely agree. I was there last night as well and was really disappointed. I have been to the Halloween party before and it was so much nicer (less crowds and it seemed to be more decorated or something). The crowds last night were crazy. It did calm down a little after the fireworks, but not much. ... I don't think I will go again after last night. The Christmas party is so much more worth the cost.

I am really glad to see someone else also provide not so positive feedback on the Halloween party. We went on the first night this year. We had a nice night in Magic Kingdom, however I thought the decorations were poor and the crowds were INSANE. At one point my sister and I waited 20 minutes to buy water.

My sister and mother have gone in years past; and my sister indicated that there were much more substantial decorations and much less crowds. Waits for lines were reduced but still 20-30 minutes for mine train or space mountain.

Again, we had a very nice evening in MK but I did not think paying extra money was worth it. Also, many treats ran out very quickly and line for trick and treating were very long.

To accentuate the positive, the parade and show were really cool. I am chalking up my so-so experience to the fact that it was also excruciatingly hot.

I don't know if it was a bad week, but the crowds are INSANE everywhere except DHS. DS, EPCOT, AK, MK are slammed all the time. Don't know when to go anymore because apparently everything I know is wrong.

That's disappointing to hear. We will be there next week so I will set myself up to expect this. Back when we first started going in the fall (2013ish) we thought crowds were really low and we would always aim for this time of year. Last year we went for the Christmas party and crowds were amazing! Weather was perfect too! This will unfortunately be our last trip to world for quite some time, I was so excited to go back for fall, I hope it doesn't end on a sour note.

We did it on 9/12 this month and it was so awesome! No wait for anything including meet and greet. Parade was awesome and very low crowds! We were so happy with it we decided to stay one extra day since we missed 2 days of parks confined to the Contemporary during Irma so we did the party again on 9/17 and it was a nightmare! so crowded we could barely move! I guess it all depends on which night you choose to go.
MK_TOMRLD1_20170913_40482704399311.jpg

My husband and I were there on the the 12th too! It was our first time doing MNSSHP. We were supposed to have left that night, but because of the hurricane our flight was cancelled and rescheduled for 2 days later. We had a great time and the crowds were low. The crowds were low for that week too. We got on rides right away, no waiting! We had fun going to the trick or trick stations and got generous amounts of candy from the CM's. Got a great spot for the fireworks and stayed also for Hocus Pocus. So for us, it was alot of fun and I would do it again some day. :hmghost:

Yeah, we did the Halloween party once...not worth it entirely. You get some great Halloween themed items from the stores but the trick or treating lines are out rageous. Last time we went to Disney we did get FREE tickets for the Christmas Party which was okay too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter