Moana 2

leiaorgana

DIS Veteran
My favourite princess is finally getting a well deserved sequel!

“Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic animated musical “Moana 2” takes audiences on an expansive new voyage with Moana, Maui and a brand-new crew of unlikely seafarers. After receiving an unexpected call from her wayfinding ancestors, Moana must journey to the far seas of Oceania and into dangerous, long-lost waters for an adventure unlike anything she’s ever faced. Directed by Dave Derrick Jr. with music by Grammy® winners Abigail Barlow and Emily Bear, Grammy nominee Opetaia Foa’i, and three-time Grammy winner Mark Mancina, “Moana 2” opens in theaters on Nov. 27, 2024.”

I’m excited! Although no Lin-Manuel Miranda though has me slightly concerned…..nice to see them bring back Opetaia Foa’i though.

This has late 90s-2000s direct to video sequel written all over it. I'm so in.

I think it'll be a littel better than that (though I am not a hater of those at all). I think this is a smart play. They are repurposing the series, and I assume that is going to mean a somewhat reduced budget. Combine that with the very strong and popular Moana brand, I think this is what Disney needs to be doing.

I think it'll be a littel better than that (though I am not a hater of those at all). I think this is a smart play. They are repurposing the series, and I assume that is going to mean a somewhat reduced budget. Combine that with the very strong and popular Moana brand, I think this is what Disney needs to be doing.
Things we know so far:

1. Episodes of a TV show being repurposed into a feature film
2. *Presumably* lower budget than a typical theatrical film
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda is not returning to do the score
4. The score is being done by a duo that did an unofficial Bridgerton TikTok musical, almost got sued for it and ended up winning a Grammy for said unlicensed musical
5. Clements and Musker are not returning to direct

Now we need the worst Dwayne the Rock Johnson impersonator we've ever heard and this will be peak fiction.

Things we know so far:

1. Episodes of a TV show being repurposed into a feature film
2. *Presumably* lower budget than a typical theatrical film
3. Lin-Manuel Miranda is not returning to do the score
4. The score is being done by a duo that did an unofficial Bridgerton TikTok musical, almost got sued for it and ended up winning a Grammy for said unlicensed musical
5. Clements and Musker are not returning to direct

Now we need the worst Dwayne the Rock Johnson impersonator we've ever heard and this will be peak fiction.

I am pretty sure they will retain the voice cast, including The Rock, however I wouldn't be surprised if Maui never had a large role in the series and may only show up briefly.

I love Moana, but repurposing a tv series...

View attachment 832474

Honestly, I think this is exactly what they needed to do. A less expensive production with a very popular character - that's the recipe for success. Now, maybe it won't be as technically "good" as the original, but it doesn't have to be to make money. I'm up for seeing what they can do with it.

I can't imagine that they weren't signed for the series - at least Auli'i. Maybe it's just the vagaries of changing the contracts for theatrical? Either way, I'm sure it'll come together.
Well, this was originally going to be a TV show and they don't typically bring back the original actors for them. It's not a great sign that they're scrambling to get the original VAs though.

Well, this was originally going to be a TV show and they don't typically bring back the original actors for them. It's not a great sign that they're scrambling to get the original VAs though.

They usually do bring back the original voice actors though. Tangled the Series had every VA from the movies on it. Big Hero 6 had most. The Disney+ shows have, including Baymax! and Zootopia+, though the latter did not have any of the major characters. Even going back so far as THe Little Mermaid, Jodi played her. They may not get every voice, but they do try.

They usually do bring back the original voice actors though. Tangled the Series had every VA from the movies on it. Big Hero 6 had most. The Disney+ shows have, including Baymax! and Zootopia+, though the latter did not have any of the major characters. Even going back so far as THe Little Mermaid, Jodi played her. They may not get every voice, but they do try.
Still, it's not a good sign that they don't have the VAs for this. Typically in animation they record the dialogue first and then do the animation.

This has rushed written all over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter