Modifying reservation

MrsPook

Mouseketeer
Please help! Long time DVC member but have never had to modify a reservation by one day before. Got an email from our airline over the weekend that our flight was canceled from our small local airport. They now fly Mondays instead of Tuesdays so we had to move the entire trip by a day. I am currently booked for a split stay at SSR and Riviera. So I need to add a night on the front end of the first part and subtract a night at the end on the second part. How does that work with points? I see a modify option online but when I try it, it asks me which contract to use (we have 3). I assumed for the second part when I was subtracting a day, it would keep the reservation and just refund the last night's points back (will they be in holding or have restrictions?) For the first part do I have to book one night separate or can it be added to my current reservation? Can you use the modify feature to book an entirely different resort? What happens to those points? Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Any guidance much appreciated before I try calling member services later.

The way the modification program works is that you choose modify the reservation and then you actually do a new reservation for the entire time you want using whichever contracts and points (including ones already used) that you want to use from the same resort (if initial reservation was made during 11-month window), or from any resort (if initial reservation was made within 7-month window). The original reservation is held until the new reservation is successfully completed even though you are getting to use the same points while doing the modification.

You can use a modification to change resorts but in that case the other resort needs to be open for all the days to which you want to change to have success. Until the new reservation reaches completion, your prior reservation remains.

Since you have two reservations, you will need to do two modifications. You thus have some risk that, while doing the first modification, your chance of being able to do the second one if it requires adding any nights may disappear. Thus, it is best to make the first modification the one to which you want to add a night.

Last edited:
Unless you don’t have the extra points, I agree that you should first add the day by modifying that trip.

Then go in to the second one and change dates for that. If you had to use up different points for the first one, you can then modify again to pick up points you want.

One thing I do if I am unsure what will be there, I do a brand new search for all the dates in the room size just to see if I am going to have trouble...I don’t book.

If what I want is there, then I just quickly do the modify of each part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!