monkfish??

halfway there

DIS Veteran
While I have no idea what this is, my husband is interested in trying it at Jiko next time. I'm sure I just read a review/post/reply about someone who had this and they described exactly what it was like and how it was presented. I recall "baby parsnips on top" but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again.

Does anyone recall reading/writing about this? Or has anyone else had this and can tell me what it looks/tastes like as well as how it is presented/served with?

Thanks! I hope I'm not losing my mind! LOL :p

I have never had it, but I can give you a little exerpt from The Legal Seafoods Cookbook:

We were among the first restaurants in the United States to start using monkfish, often called the poor man's lobster because of its similar texture and mild flavor. Monkfish are ugly creatures, of which only the tail portions are used, although most of their weight is in their heads. (A monkfish may weigh in at fifteen to twenty pounds, but only three or four pounds of tail meat will be eaten.) In France, monkfish is known as lotte, and is one of the most expensive fish to buy. The French lotte has a whiter color than the monkfish we find in the North Atlantic waters, but the texture of both species is similar.

Monkfish are what we call an incidental catch, which means they don't run in schools like haddock or cod, and the fisherman can count on only what they're lucky enough to catch.

Monkfish is the most firm-textured of all fish, with a mild flavor that makes it adaptable for any number of recipes. You can slice monkfish thin and deep-fry the pieces, quickly saute them with vegetables, or cube the fish for skewering to make kabobs. It is also good poached or braised in fish stock. We always include some monkfish in our fish chowder.

Hmm, sounds good!

Ted

We have a Hawaiian restaurant near us where they serve monkfish. The waitress described it to us as "the poor man's lobster". It is a white fish that does taste a little like lobster. My DH and I both love it and order it on a regular basis! Enjoy!

I had it just last weekend (I posted under "labor day reviews" or something similar)...

Anyway, it was GREAT! The fish is a thick (steak like), very white fish. Mild tasting and tender. The parsnip laces were EXCELLENT and the vegatables du jour (some I'd not heard of before) were also good. This is a very unusual but very good fish and the atmosphere and ambiance of the place doesn't hurt either!

Peter Pirate,

It was you!
I finally found the thread and it was your review I had read. I must have found it around the same time as you posted here. Thanks for jumping in to the discussion and the great details on this mysterious monkfish!

Thanks to all others for their helpful info as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter