Moonlight Madness registration question

@deerh The caveat is: Party Size Limits:A Member can register themselves and up to 5 additional guests (total of 6)—or up to the number of guests on his or her Resort reservation.
The guest with the fist full of bands probably had multiple reservations or a Grand Villa.

@deerh The caveat is: Party Size Limits:A Member can register themselves and up to 5 additional guests (total of 6)—or up to the number of guests on his or her Resort reservation.
The guest with the fist full of bands probably had multiple reservations or a Grand Villa.

Nope,
Not quite.. ONLY 5 guests AND the DVC member can get "wristbands" for the MM.. So...Unless they have changed the rules in the last month,
that is what it said at least on my email back in February for the MM at AK in May.. Total of 6... How the gentlemen got 10-12 tickets in front
of me is confusing...

Nope,
Not quite.. ONLY 5 guests AND the DVC member can get "wristbands" for the MM.. So...Unless they have changed the rules in the last month,
that is what it said at least on my email back in February for the MM at AK in May.. Total of 6... How the gentlemen got 10-12 tickets in front
of me is confusing...
Mine said the same as pp, total of 6 OR the amount on your reservation. So if you had a grand villa/cabin that could be more than 6.

I feel that if you are paying the points for a 2 BR or a GV then you should be allowed to take the total number of people on your reservation. What I do have a problem with is every other reservation allowing 6 people. Why 6, studios and 1 BR's only allow up to 5 people. I think that the event for the first round of tickets should be open to eligible members staying onsite on points and up the number on their reservation. So my wife and I staying in a studio or a GV for that matter should only be allowed 2 tickets. If they have access to the reservation number for verification, then they have access to the number of guests on the reservation. Even the outsourced Disney IT should be able to figure that out.

Just kidding, there is no way they could ever figure that out.

" a courtesy to other Members, if you need to cancel your reservation or reduce your party size, please do so at least 48 hours prior to the event by following the link in your original event confirmation email. Doing so will help Disney Vacation Club accommodate other Members and their Special Guests interested in attending this reservation-required event. On-Property Resort Guests may reserve space for the Member and up to the number of Guests listed in their Resort accommodations. Members without a Resort reservation may reserve space for the Member and up to five Guests. Walk-ins will not be permitted."

As I went back and looked at my email (copied above), I stand corrected! I see that now!
I still am wondering why the CM said, how many do you need? Never checked my Card # (DVC), or resort reservation, or asked my room # or
anything... I still think there are "kinks" in the system..

So... If I had my wife and I in a studio, and 2/3/4 friends in the Orlando area that live near WDW, but not staying with me at the resort, I could
have told her 6 tickets please, and allowed non-DVC members to go to the event during the DVC timeframe, and nobody would have been the
wiser...

" a courtesy to other Members, if you need to cancel your reservation or reduce your party size, please do so at least 48 hours prior to the event by following the link in your original event confirmation email. Doing so will help Disney Vacation Club accommodate other Members and their Special Guests interested in attending this reservation-required event. On-Property Resort Guests may reserve space for the Member and up to the number of Guests listed in their Resort accommodations. Members without a Resort reservation may reserve space for the Member and up to five Guests. Walk-ins will not be permitted."

As I went back and looked at my email (copied above), I stand corrected! I see that now!
I still am wondering why the CM said, how many do you need? Never checked my Card # (DVC), or resort reservation, or asked my room # or
anything... I still think there are "kinks" in the system..

So... If I had my wife and I in a studio, and 2/3/4 friends in the Orlando area that live near WDW, but not staying with me at the resort, I could
have told her 6 tickets please, and allowed non-DVC members to go to the event during the DVC timeframe, and nobody would have been the
wiser...
This is exactly what happens at these events. There is also at least one person who routinely stalks these forums asking for DVC Members to get tickets to the events for them & their "family". I tried to alter my reservation to remove a member of my party who wasn't coming via the supplied link in my confirmation but the link didn't work. Others have also reported the same issues. When I attended the AK event in April there was a large party ahead of me waiting for one of the character Meet & Greets. Another large group joined them. They were obviously locals & seemed to be CM's judging by their familiarity with the CM's & Photographer who were working the line. Not saying that none of them were DVC Members but most if not all appeared to be CM's. I'm sure there are many who book the maximum # of spots to bring friends who aren't staying on property and aren't members.

Last edited:

I’ll be solo this trip so I registered for 1. It did occur to me that they ask how many you want and I could have said 6. And maybe people just do that. Dunno.

Seems to me that it should only allow the number on the reservation or at the very least room occupancy limit. Guess Disney IT couldn’t handle that.

It does say on the DVC member site that more availability will be available when it opens up to all members on June 20. So all hope isn't lost yet for those who didn't get in on June 6. Good luck.

Anyone else get in today? I saw a post on my FP cruise page that others were able to register for MM this morning.

I spoke with member services at about 10 AM and was told it was sold out then. Tried at 9:00 online but got what seems to be the standard error...didn’t recognize me. I was actually surprised I got through to member services. They should just have people request ahead of time and select via lottery, it’s just about that anyways with the luck you need to get the system to work.

Anyone else get in today? I saw a post on my FP cruise page that others were able to register for MM this morning.

To answer Capang — NO! The process for this MM event actually bothers me and is not magical at all. We have had an on-site reservation since August 2017 for July using points at our home resort. When we learned of the MM event, we were excited to see that it was during our stay. Unfortunately, the day that they opened the online reservations, we were in the midst of an ABD trip in Arizona and literally had no WiFi access when the reservations opened. When we finally had internet access, the site reported that the event was sold out. We called MS that afternoon, but all they could do was apologize and suggest that we keep checking, in case someone cancels (yeah, right). They also said to check on 6/20 when additional slots are released. Fast forward to yesterday, I finally had a break a little before 10, only to find out that there was no availability. This was upsetting, as we had planned our agenda for the week to accommodate this event (since we have to do ADRs at 180 and FP at 60).

Frankly, I feel like the online midweek signup is a huge disadvantage for those of us who work for a living. Also, I feel like the event should prioritize members who are staying onsite AND using DVC points. I am a little miffed to read about people who have cash stays or are not even staying on property who gained access to this event, particularly those who have been to several events.

I have to agree with Mountain Mouse. This should be done as a lottery and should prioritize members staying on points. They could send a email to members staying on points first and give them first right of refusal. If they get through all members staying on property and still have spots left, then open it to the general membership. JMHO.

To answer Capang — NO! The process for this MM event actually bothers me and is not magical at all. We have had an on-site reservation since August 2017 for July using points at our home resort. When we learned of the MM event, we were excited to see that it was during our stay. Unfortunately, the day that they opened the online reservations, we were in the midst of an ABD trip in Arizona and literally had no WiFi access when the reservations opened. When we finally had internet access, the site reported that the event was sold out. We called MS that afternoon, but all they could do was apologize and suggest that we keep checking, in case someone cancels (yeah, right). They also said to check on 6/20 when additional slots are released. Fast forward to yesterday, I finally had a break a little before 10, only to find out that there was no availability. This was upsetting, as we had planned our agenda for the week to accommodate this event (since we have to do ADRs at 180 and FP at 60).

Frankly, I feel like the online midweek signup is a huge disadvantage for those of us who work for a living. Also, I feel like the event should prioritize members who are staying onsite AND using DVC points. I am a little miffed to read about people who have cash stays or are not even staying on property who gained access to this event, particularly those who have been to several events.

I have to agree with Mountain Mouse. This should be done as a lottery and should prioritize members staying on points. They could send a email to members staying on points first and give them first right of refusal. If they get through all members staying on property and still have spots left, then open it to the general membership. JMHO.
I agree with you 100% that the system needs to recognize people with an onsite res on points at their home resort. This is our first event and I was sort of hoping that’s how it would work since that is how we are booked. When I registered I got in about 3 minutes before it was supposed to open and by the time I was done registering the page just spun for a minute before I got a confirmation. Then shortly after that I read that people were unable to book because it sold out. I was amazed at how fast it all sold out.

Members staying on property do get the sign up first in my understanding. It's only after those staying on property for the event date have had the option of booking that other members can book.

As for working, I had no problem signing up WHILE I was working for a MM last year. It came in my email, and took me maybe 90 seconds to 2 minutes tops to complete. Easy peavey!

Members staying on property do get the sign up first in my understanding. It's only after those staying on property for the event date have had the option of booking that other members can book.

As for working, I had no problem signing up WHILE I was working for a MM last year. It came in my email, and took me maybe 90 seconds to 2 minutes tops to complete. Easy peavey!
The issue is everyone with a reservation can book early, whether on points or cash. It seems like those using points at a home resort should be at an advantage when it comes to booking. And it isn’t possible for some people to sign up at work, even if it just takes 90 seconds (I assure you it took me 10 minutes at least with the pages crashing/freezing). Some people don’t have access to a phone or internet while working or can’t access certain sites. Where I work MDE is blocked, as is the DVC site and the DCL site.

There are post on this board of members with cash stays getting access to the event. Members STAYING ON POINTS should get priority, IMHO. Unfortunately, as a physician who starts seeing folks at 7AM, it is difficult to steal away in the middle of the morning for something as trivial as this. If it is going to be an online scramble, then they should do it on a Saturday or Sunday, which would minimize (but not eliminate) interference with work schedules.

Last edited:
(I assure you it took me 10 minutes at least with the pages crashing/freezing). Some people don’t have access to a phone or internet while working or can’t access certain sites. Where I work MDE is blocked, as is the DVC site and the DCL site.

I absolutely believe that DVC's site could have crashed during booking. Have had it happen to me on various bookings many times. I did not use my company computer to book. My job required I did not use my cell phone either, but during a lull time I pulled it out of my desk just to take a quick peek to make sure nothing important was needed of me (my phone stays on silent at work), and saw the email from DVC to sign up. I was fortunate to see it, and that it took me no time to book.

There are post on this board of members with cash stays getting access to the event. Members STAYING ON POINTS should get priority, IMHO. Unfortunately, as a physician who starts seeing folks at 7AM, it is difficult to steal away in the middle of the morning for something as trivial as this.

I feel for you in your profession. :sad1: I have a background in healthcare and know how much tougher your job is now than it used to be. As though it wasn't tough enough then. Is there anyone else you would trust to have your log-in and book for you?

And as for cash stays, I have to agree with you. I've owned for well over 20 years and agree that points stays on property should have the first shot at booking. I don't think it should be required to be one's home resort, but any on property DVC resort booked on points. That seems entirely fair to me. And after those folks have a day or 2 in advance to book if they want, THEN open it up to the rest of membership.

I was able to get 3 tickets on 6/20. I was ready at 9am exact and received several error codes with each step. I had to refresh several times. I received my confirmation email at 9:17 after erroring out again on the final step. Such a pain.

I agree that the weekday morning booking windows are not condusive to those who work. Every time I try to sign up for an event I end up losing an hour of work.

Thought I would write about our experiences with MM. We were so thrilled when I booked the event, but the event itself was not as successful.

We decided to pick up our bands at our resort (SSR) and when we showed up 15 mins earlier than the time posted, the line was long, but it moved pretty quickly. At the park, the line seemed to be much longer and moved much slower. We arrived at Epcot around 7, and after security, the CM's were confused about where we needed to go to enter the park, and had us move a couple of times. The info on what we got was also misleading. It was written that there would be ice cream stations for snacks (We only saw 2 of them), but we got 3 different answers as to whether or not there would be drinks. We never saw any drinks, so figured there wasn't. But after midnight as we exited the park, we overhead people talking about getting free soda drinks at the Electric Umbrella. It would have been nice to know that during the event. Also, lines for food were huge!!! Our group split up, with half going to England to get fish, and the other half eating at the American Pavillion. Both groups waited 45 mins to get their food, and for our half, we listened to Illuminations from inside the dining area.

Lines for rides were also ridiculous!!! I don't think the wait times were much less, if any less, than they would have been during an ordinary evening. However, with the group having only 3 day base tickets, this was our only chance to get to Epcot, so that was nice. And the character lines! Whew!! Way too long, so we never saw any of the characters. This event was just wayyyyyy over booked. We heard the DJ Music from the distance, since we never got back that way once the party started.)

There was also a very good fireworks display close to the end of the night. We enjoyed that, and if there had been smaller lines for everything, it would have all been received much better. DVC made it sound like it would be that way.

Not sure which night you attended but we went July 16th and I will say our experience was better that yours sounded. We arrived a little before 7 and got our arm bands at EPCOT. There was no problem, the line was smooth and moved quickly. There was no confusion on the part of the cast members checking us in. In the first line we were given our wrist bands and in the second our food vouchers, and directed to the stand that had maps for the evenings activities. When I say lines, there were maybe three other groups in front of us for the first and one for the second. The maps were very helpful. The ice cream line looked long but went very quickly. We had no problem getting our food at Sunshine Seasons but we were also there around 11:15, just before the fireworks. I will agree about the lack of information about beverages. The fireworks did start a bit early. I read 11:45 but they started closer to 11:35. They were gorgeous though. Our only long line was Frozen Ever After. We headed there during Illuminations and were in line for maybe a half hour. That was the longest wait of the night. The Living Seas pavilion- Ariel and Crush were walk on; Soarin' was a short wait and same with Test Track. We did not do any character interactions. We felt like we were able to get everything done in that one evening from 7 to 11 that would normally take us all day. And it was SO nice being dark and cool with no blazing July sun. We left shortly after the fireworks and had no problems getting on the bus to our hotel. I am sorry your experience was so bad but I liked this Moonlight Magic much better than the Typhoon Lagoon one we did in June or July 2016. Of course, I would always welcome less crowding but it wasn't too bad for us.

Some people like the MM events, others don't. Would we rather have the events or have DVD use the money for something else?

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter