Moonlight Magic 2019?

You could add her name to the DVC resort reservation, to remove any doubt. That will allow her all onsite privileges (like MB). DVC reservations don’t charge for extra adults like cash reservations do.

It also allows those added to the reservation to get the perks like EMH and a MB as though she was staying in the room.

I totally agree with above posters who warn not to plan a trip around getting tickets to Moonlight Magic. The Feb 12 date happens to fall on a date we will be there anyway, so I am trying for tickets. I was successful getting tickets to the Disneyland/CA Adventure event, but it was not easy. Stressful. Overloaded system, etc. Patience pays off. I thought I was not getting in for sure, then my screen switched over so once you are logged in and make some progress, do not give up. It took about 20 minutes so it looks hopeless but it is not.

I agree, nothing is certain when TRYING to get registered for an event. I’ll be trying to book feb 5. I have dining reservations elsewhere for that night. I won’t be canceling that ADR until registration is confirmed.

We are DVC but staying off site both of those nights for MK. Is it pretty much hopeless to get in since we can't sign up until 1/16?

It also allows those added to the reservation to get the perks like EMH and a MB as though she was staying in the room.
True, although she isn't planning on really joining us at the parks. She has plans to spend some time at the resort with us for ADRs and then is visiting with family in the area. We aren't trying to skirt the system for FP. She was interested in MM because, as a DVC member, she has yet to participate in any events.

I know this has been covered but I'm just making sure I understand this...I have a resort res for 3 people. When I try for MM tickets can I still request 4? My mom is staying offsite, although she is also DVC, but would like to go if we can get in. I'm not capped at 3 tickets since there are only 3 on our reservation, am I? I will also have her try when general booking opens for dvc but I'm not optimistic there will be any tickets left by then.
Edited to clarify I am dvc staying dvc for the event.

What it's been is that you can register the number of people on your room or up to the specified maximum, whichever is greater. The "register the number of people in your room" is actually to assist those who are in the largest villas - the 2BR's or GV's although with the limit of 4 it now could affect studios and 1BR's. Anyway - it's never meant you were restricted only to the number on your room if it's less than the limit allowed.

Sounds like you'll be able to add her anyway.

And regarding FP's - a person is able to book FP's for any friends and family they are connected to and do it at the 60 day window even if they are not staying onsite. So nothing to circumvent there either.

Do “ Day of” reservations count? I have a reservation that ends on a MM night. I am not willing to extend unless I get in. This year I extended with borrowed points and did not get in. Do not want to do that again.
Turns out I was mistaken, this time I do have the night of the party booked.

So, question that just popped into my mind related to the day of/night of conflict...

We are doing a split stay and the event is the night of our “moving day”. If it has to be “night of” we would have to use our second reservation to book it, correct?

It states that if you cancel your reservation then the event tickets are automatically cancelled. We are on a waiting list for our second stay. If availability comes up at our preferred resort, would we lose the event tickets since technically that would be cancelling our AKL reservation and swapping to another resort?

So, question that just popped into my mind related to the day of/night of conflict...

We are doing a split stay and the event is the night of our “moving day”. If it has to be “night of” we would have to use our second reservation to book it, correct?

It states that if you cancel your reservation then the event tickets are automatically cancelled. We are on a waiting list for our second stay. If availability comes up at our preferred resort, would we lose the event tickets since technically that would be cancelling our AKL reservation and swapping to another resort?

That is correct. I’ve always seen that it goes by the night of, and if you cancel, then you lose the MM reservation. I believe when you switch resorts via a WL fulfilling, you get a new confirmation number which means you've effectively cancelled one reservation and made a new one. Double check on that last bit because if the confirmation number stays the same, then it is a modification and not a cancellation/new reservation. I’ve only had one WL fill, and we just merged our reservations so we were in the same room type. It did cancel the second reservation when we did that.

That is correct. I’ve always seen that it goes by the night of, and if you cancel, then you lose the MM reservation. I believe when you switch resorts via a WL fulfilling, you get a new confirmation number which means you've effectively cancelled one reservation and made a new one. Double check on that last bit because if the confirmation number stays the same, then it is a modification and not a cancellation/new reservation. I’ve only had one WL fill, and we just merged our reservations so we were in the same room type. It did cancel the second reservation when we did that.
I just checked & my confirmation number changed when my WL was filled for Feb, so a new reservation completely.

Was it widespread that people who have qualified memberships, but stayed on resale points, were unable to register for the event?

Was it widespread that people who have qualified memberships, but stayed on resale points, were unable to register for the event?

Yes, it was. I had a ton of issues. I called 1 week before the HS event registration, and they had to manually put me in the system to allow me to register. I own an eligible VGF contract. However, our stay was booked using BLT points. This was an issue for the MM events at both TL and HS. The explanation I received is that the registration system cannot look up your other membership with regards to registering for these events. It only goes by the membership used to book the stay, so if that membership is ineligible, you can’t do it unless they manually override it and allow it.

Last edited:
I am staying Tuesday, Wednesday,and Thursday cash at Grand Californian. Friday and Saturday on points in DVC wing. Will this give me any problems trying to book MM? Can I do it online or will I have to call. Thanks in advance.

I am staying Tuesday, Wednesday,and Thursday cash at Grand Californian. Friday and Saturday on points in DVC wing. Will this give me any problems trying to book MM? Can I do it online or will I have to call. Thanks in advance.
The California event doesn’t have onsite/off site restrictions. Registration opens at the same time for everyone. I could only foreee it being an issue if you have more than 4 people.

Online is the only way to register.

Yes, it was. I had a ton of issues. I called 1 week before the HS event registration, and they had to manually put me in the system to allow me to register. I own an eligible VGF contract. However, our stay was booked using BLT points. This was an issue for the MM events at both TL and HS. The explanation I received is that the registration system cannot look up your their membership with regards to registering for these events. It only goes by the membership used to book the stay, so if that membership is ineligible, you can’t do it unless they manually override it and allow it.

Thanks. This is very helpful information. What is the recommended course of action for those of us who are members, but are using not-member-eligible points for our stay with respect to Moonlight Magic? On one hand, if DVC restricted the first sign up date to member-eligible-point-reservations only, I'd be okay with that (as long as I knew it). Though they had better also restrict cash room reservations as well. I don't think it would be fair to allow cash rooms but not DVC rooms on "other" points. Anyway, I'm curious what a good plan might be.

Thanks. This is very helpful information. What is the recommended course of action for those of us who are members, but are using not-member-eligible points for our stay with respect to Moonlight Magic? On one hand, if DVC restricted the first sign up date to member-eligible-point-reservations only, I'd be okay with that (as long as I knew it). Though they had better also restrict cash room reservations as well. I don't think it would be fair to allow cash rooms but not DVC rooms on "other" points. Anyway, I'm curious what a good plan might be.

Call them after the prior event or its registration is done but before your event’s registration. You may have to speak to a supervisor to get it handled correctly. They have to add you to a list that isn’t generated until after the cutoff date for making DVC reservations to be eligible to register on the earlier date.

Does anyone know if meal vouchers will still be available during the 2019 events?

Does any room reservation count for early booking? We are out of points but can book a value for the night we need if it counts.

Curious if anyone knows the answer to this? My husband and I are co-owners of our DVC contract. We're a family of 6 traveling in May during the EPCOT event and only had enough points to book 2 studios.
During registration when I enter our member number will both reservations come up so I can register all 6 of us?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter