More parking fees (at premium outlets)

[QUOTE="JerseyJanice, post: 59340580, member: 2341"]I’m not convinced that outlet malls have many bargains to begin with and now they want you to pay for parking?[/QUOTE]
In many cases I think you're right, but the Disney Character Warehouse prices are mostly a fraction of what you'd pay at WDW. However the selection is very limited, and a lot of it is merch from past events that are dated. Plus the store is generally crowded with people scooping up bargains to take home, the checkout line sort of resembles a ride queue at MK. But all that aside, we've found some really good deals there over the years (a $69 hoodie for $16.) But when I mentioned the $10 parking fee to DW she was not enthusiastic about it.

Last edited:

Ugh. We usually spend a couple of hours and $50-$200 at the Outlet Mall. My DD loves the Lululemon and the Victoria Secret/Pink outlets. It was bad enough trying to find a parking spot before. If they pull half the spots for people who pay that will make things so much worse.

That $10 will eat into what you may have “saved” by shopping there instead of a regular mall.

I’m not convinced that outlet malls have many bargains to begin with and now they want you to pay for parking?

Yup exactly. Outlet malls used to be places that were well out of town (low rents?) which had significant discounts on items that were previously sold in that brand's stores but out of season or overstock. Now? Just the same crap (or a cheaper version) of the stuff you can get at the regular stores, and "deals" that almost always seem to revolve around "buy 2 at full price, get one (free/half off/etc)..." or the like. I will not pay a cent for the "privilege" of setting foot in a store. Mall owners should be finding creative ways to draw more people in, not drive them online.

In many cases I think you're right, but the Disney Character Warehouse prices are mostly a fraction of what you'd pay at WDW. However the selection is very limited, and a lot of it is merch from past events that are dated. Plus the store is generally crowded with people scooping up bargains to take home, the checkout line sort of resembles a ride queue at MK. But all that aside, we've found some really good deals there over the years (a $69 hoodie for $16.) But when I mentioned the $10 parking fee to DW she was not enthusiastic about it.
I paid full price for a cd in there and when I came home to open it the inside was broken. But yes it’s way too crowded in there, every time I’ve gone in I’ve regretted it even after purchasing stuff I loved. Derek Burgan really made it attractive. Is the one that’s not by little lake Bryan as crowded?

Outlet malls used to be true outlets - selling overstock, old or slightly irregular items at a discount.

Then they just became huge brand name outdoor malls located an hour or so outside big cities, but were a draw for the surbanites because of all the brand name stores there. They were an event in itself to go to one -- for giant back to school shopping sprees or the like.

But then the suburbs began getting better and better shopping choices, and now, you can find the same brand names online or at other department stores just as cheap. I see them as a dying breed just like the indoor malls.
Charging for parking (and thus negating any savings you are supposedly getting by going to an outlet) seems like it would speed this up.

I get it though .. supply and demand . .If the parking lots are constantly filled, charging parking fees is a way to ensure those who want to shop there (and spend money) will do so. Its basically a cover charge so you dont use the parking lot for car pooling or just go to hang out.

Simon runs all my local malls, and if they pulled that here, my 2x per year I go there will be officially reduced to 0x. Why does retail companies continue to shoot themselves in the foot (and i know its not the individual stores, but Simon is not making it easier on them).

Wow, this caught my attention. Charging for parking at an outlet mall is beyond ridiculous; talk about defeating the purpose:confused3. The outlets in my neck of the woods attract many international shoppers; I suppose if you've traveled that far you would be more inclined to pay for parking, but here's one tourist who will not pay, even if I am on vacation.
Guess this outlet is just jumping on the 'let's charge a parking fee' bandwagon.:sad2:
Oh well, just another reason to shop for bargains online.
What's next...paying to park at super Wal-Mart?

Soooo, does this mean DH can drop me curbside & let me shop while he drives around the lot, then pick me up curbside when I'm done for free? :crazy: like the last time we went and he never found a spot. Uber is sounding better & better.

Oh well, just another reason to shop for bargains online.

Brick and mortar retail, regardless of location, needs to sharpen their financial tactics. This surcharge move (in my opinion) may lure the out-of-town automotive renters, but for the locals, it is basically worthless and will likely backfire.

Outlet malls used to be true outlets - selling overstock, old or slightly irregular items at a discount.

Then they just became huge brand name outdoor malls located an hour or so outside big cities, but were a draw for the surbanites because of all the brand name stores there. They were an event in itself to go to one -- for giant back to school shopping sprees or the like.

But then the suburbs began getting better and better shopping choices, and now, you can find the same brand names online or at other department stores just as cheap. I see them as a dying breed just like the indoor malls.
Charging for parking (and thus negating any savings you are supposedly getting by going to an outlet) seems like it would speed this up.

I get it though .. supply and demand . .If the parking lots are constantly filled, charging parking fees is a way to ensure those who want to shop there (and spend money) will do so. Its basically a cover charge so you dont use the parking lot for car pooling or just go to hang out.

Some outlet stores are the same as retail for sure.

But many higher end brands it’s not the exact same. Many it’s similar offerings and styles but sold cheaper and often lower quality. This is true for loft, gap, j crew and many others.

Sometimes they are the same as retail but they get the stuff weeks to months later.

Simon runs all my local malls, and if they pulled that here, my 2x per year I go there will be officially reduced to 0x. Why does retail companies continue to shoot themselves in the foot (and i know its not the individual stores, but Simon is not making it easier on them).

In Orlando , those malls are so jammed packed with tourists and internationals (who buy bagfuls off stuff per store) that the parking fee won’t be an issue. They are still going to be busy.

Locals won’t like it a ton but locals avoid them a lot anyways since they are so busy. They are not enjoyable to shop atz

Soooo, does this mean DH can drop me curbside & let me shop while he drives around the lot, then pick me up curbside when I'm done for free? :crazy: like the last time we went and he never found a spot. Uber is sounding better & better.

Or he can go across the street to Freddy's and have a yummy ice cream sundae :P

In April we notice lots of folks parking across the street at the "newer" mostly empty section, and crossing over - wonder if that lot will be a charge lot ... though not exactly convenient.

Last edited:
A majority of places I go to shop have parking fees. This isn't new to me, esp in cities. I don't really care about having to pay but its usually only 3-5 dollars max.

10 dollars is a joke of a price. That is greed

This sucks. The parking there is terrible - I have skipped the outlets on the past few trips because of how much it sucks. I think next time I'm at Universal I'll just uber over to save myself the hassle.

I took my mother to shop at both last week. I paid for Valet by WDW and free parked at the other. The I drive location seemed to have plenty of parking available and the paid spots were pretty empty. The lot at the location near WDW was packed. I was happy to pay for Valet and they were nice enough to park us in the shade so it wasn't 150 inside when we got back in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter