more ?'s about dxl wheelchair access

Belle72

Mouseketeer
Wheelsie- and others who may have info.
DXL does not have wheelchair access to their roll in showers? You wrote that the toilet prevents a wheelchair from rolling in- is that correct? Is that in ALL DXL wc rooms? If it is we've got to make other plans! What is the bed situation there? My sister, mom and niece are staying together and I was assuming there were two doubles- is that gong to cramp the room too much for her to get around? What hotel should we move to in that case- we're leaving in a few weeks?

Thank you to all who responded about the bus times and accessibility. At least those I feel better about and I appreciate the tips about where to pick up the bus!!!

First off if your post says "edited by Wheelsie" its becuz I pushed the wrong button...Im deeply apologetic :) I meant to hit post and was looking at my TV....you know how that is LOL

Second...I just got an email similar in what your asking...I'll post my answers to this email for you :)

Actually the property of DxL as whole is just plain inaccessible!! there are these HUGE bridges that link the property together....bridges are fine...but when you consider thats the bridge is STEEP!! Its a straight shot up and down on either side...no wheelchair person could do it unless their middle name was Herculese w/o assistance from someone in their party. So I dont think it would be particularly adviseable to make arrangements to stay there....not to mention the fact that as you know the major way to get anywhere at a resort is to walk around it...and with DxL being mostly cobblestone....UHUH!!!

yes there ARE roll in showers...but what they DONT tell you is that in keeping with the DxL theme you cant get to it LOL Its impossible to get to the roll in shower becuz the bathroom is like a dressing area and an old fashioned water closet so the toilet is in the way... you'd have to be able to walk from you chair to be able to get to the shower seat...and dont even try to get a second person in there for assistance...IT AINT HAPPENING!!! LOL

I was told that if you want a king bed there isnt a roll in shower and vice versa...And I am not sure if they have an accessible king bed cuz the room we stayed in for one night till we moved to the Contemp, DH had to put me into bed cuz in keeping with the theme it was too high for me to get in bed myself

then I say stay at the Allstar if you want the WDW resort perks...or even Fort Wilderness handi cabins...they were great when we went...altho I understand they have brought in new handi cabins since we have been there....our experience w the old ones were fabulouse!!:) If your not wanting to stay on prprty becuz of perks...Id say go off property you'd probably actually get the type of room you want and maybe even at a better rate....

Let me re-interate..Its impossible to get to the roll in shower becuz the bathroom is like a dressing area and an old fashioned water closet so the toilet is in the way... you'd have to be able to walk from you chair to be able to get to the shower seat...and dont even try to get a second person in there for assistance...so no Id have to say that you WOULDNT be able to help her...let alone her being able to us the toilet at all

If you have any other questions about DxL feel free to email me :)

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif
dischat.gif

Wheelsie,
I stayed at DxL this Christmas and those bridges were a pain even with a power, Riding across one is like going over a washboard. Oh my poor back and neck. We were way in the back. Guess this was my punishment for wanting Alligator Bayou not where I was originally assignned

Pooh

If you want a roll in that you can use in the same price range go to CS. The bathroom is huge and there is more then enough room to roll around with the 2 beds. If i can find my cd I can send you a pic of the bathroom we took.

While we are at disney this past christmas we decided to check the dixie landings out for a less expensive resort from the wilderness lodge. we took a boat from downtown disney to dix landing which i must add was beautiful scenery but we could not believe how it was not very wheelchair friendly. Maybe we have just been spoiled in the past with our resort choices but the length between the rooms and the lobby were quite aways apart especially with the bridge. I tried to use the bathroom in the lobby for my daughter in her wheelchair and was surprised to find a handicapped accessable stall was the same size as the other stall and could not get her wheelchair in there. I made a few comments at the front desk and they were not to happy with me. "all the resorts are handicapped accessible" that may be but just putting handles in the stall arent enough for my daughters disability. We did not check out the resort any furthur i was hoping i was just too judgemental but by the posts here maybe not.

We will always stay in our favorite corner of disney near magic kingdom :)

Renae
mom to 6 lil' disneyers'
poly 71'-84 (as a kid)
fw cabins 98'
gktw 4/2000
wlv 12/2000

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter