More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the Dreams Unlimited Podcast just started they brought in some female agents. I found it to be very interesting to hear their opinions and advice. There is a female on that show (I honestly can’t remember her name) and she does a great job.

I wonder why they don’t use Julie more? She’s great and has young children.

That is Tracey Heinrichs who does a great job and has good rapport with Kevin and John

Julie is on every other week (as Craig mentioned the one seat is reserved for cycling between Corey and Julie).

In thinking about this more, I feel like anytime Corey or Julie tries to talk about their experience with the kids, it gets kind of dismissed. They sometimes try to pipe up with "our kids love (insert whatever the team is making fun of or dismissing as a waste of time)" and they get briefly acknowledged before being cut off. Let them talk. Let them say what their kids enjoyed or did not enjoy. Let them share this perspective. I get it...these are grown men with no children for the most part, but remember who your audience is. I don't imagine these guys sit around every week just to hear themselves talk.

Here's a suggestion for the Disney Dining Show:

Have Steve give each restaurant a "Mac and Cheese" rating based on what the kids menu has on it.

If a kids menu has at least three of the following 5 items, it should get a "Mac and Cheese Seal of Approval"

1. Mac and Cheese (naturally)
2. Chicken tenders or nuggets
3. Hamburger
4. Pizza
5. Pasta with tomato sauce

If a restaurant does NOT have at least three of these items on the kids menu, it should be rated as "Fancy Pants Kid Foodies Only"

In thinking about this more, I feel like anytime Corey or Julie tries to talk about their experience with the kids, it gets kind of dismissed. They sometimes try to pipe up with "our kids love (insert whatever the team is making fun of or dismissing as a waste of time)" and they get briefly acknowledged before being cut off. Let them talk. Let them say what their kids enjoyed or did not enjoy. Let them share this perspective. I get it...these are grown men with no children for the most part, but remember who your audience is. I don't imagine these guys sit around every week just to hear themselves talk.

I would add I felt like they included it more in the past - that I recall Peter or whomever specifically asking Julie/Corey (Jorey?) about what they thought, what their kids thought, etc. .... maybe they feel like they have covered things in the past so they don't need to rehash the same stories or something, but definitely feels like they try to cover it less now

And the Trip got into the family aspect a bit more too as Teresa, JL, and Jackie all have kids

Here's a suggestion for the Disney Dining Show:

Have Steve give each restaurant a "Mac and Cheese" rating based on what the kids menu has on it.

If a kids menu has at least three of the following 5 items, it should get a "Mac and Cheese Seal of Approval"

1. Mac and Cheese (naturally)
2. Chicken tenders or nuggets
3. Hamburger
4. Pizza
5. Pasta with tomato sauce

If a restaurant does NOT have at least three of these items on the kids menu, it should be rated as "Fancy Pants Kid Foodies Only"

or maybe even just ask to see the kids menu there and give a high level take on what did it look like. Just as an example, Spice Road Table has a limited kids menu (so would qualify as "fancy pants" by your scale ;)) but the food was served in a really cute way and my kids really liked it - it was just a bit different (the side was carrot sticks with hummus) but things I think a lot of kids would like

I like the show the way it is but I wouldn't mind seeing more women - I do like Corey / Julie's input on what their kids like since I'm a mom. Team Parent would be where I am at since my daughter is 9 and we are in the midst of her childhood experiences at Disney World.

Exactly, @buzzrelly . When I started watching the Dis Unplugged (I found them on YouTube before I knew that it was a podcast as well), there was a consistent range of voices. Over time, it seems that range has narrowed. (Though for what it's worth, I do listen to a lovely "women only" Disney podcast too!)

I really miss the women on the show and applaud the OP for taking a chance and posting this. Loved it when JL, Teresa, Kathy and Julie were on regularly. They have a different POV that I thought truly added to the show.

Teresa and Kathy also have kids (Teresa) and grandkids (Kathy has kids and grandkids). (Someone already stated that Corey and Julie have children.) It seems like people are saying the family voice is missing. I know Teresa used to mention her children more but now that they are growing up it seems to not be as present. I get that too. As children grow up they don't want their parents sharing about them as much. Perhaps it isn't the women voice missing but the family voice.

I guess that means that Craig and Steve need to hurry up and have children. :teeth::teeth:

As the OP, I just wanted to pop in and say that I didn’t create this thread to speculate on the family planning wishes of anyone on the team (though I think it’s interesting to see the evolution here of people not feeling like the parent perspective is represented well). I know some of these remarks are in jest, but that’s not our business, nor would it address the gender imbalance of the show.

Agreed, I think it shows there are two huge missing components, parents and females which really should be two separate discussions. How they can cover bacon on a clothesline but not even mention the kids menu shows things became skewed somewhere.

I know all of the posters joking about babies are very good members of our community, who I respect very much, I think what's been said is just right and it's good caution from @MsGlassSlipper to not go too far down that slippery slope. From personal experience, let's be extra gentle please.

Agreed, I think it shows there are two huge missing components, parents and females which really should be two separate discussions. How they can cover bacon on a clothesline but not even mention the kids menu shows things became skewed somewhere.

I know all of the posters joking about babies are very good members of our community, who I respect very much, I think what's been said is just right and it's good caution from @MsGlassSlipper to not go too far down that slippery slope. From personal experience, let's be extra gentle please.

I agree in general, but Craig has already made reference to his future as a dad at Disney World, so I didn't feel like it's crossing any lines to make a joke about that. He has mentioned "if/when I have kids" a few times...

I agree in general, but Craig has already made reference to his future as a dad at Disney World, so I didn't feel like it's crossing any lines to make a joke about that. He has mentioned "if/when I have kids" a few times...
Totally get that! I've made the same comments about my own life, but unfortunately my path to parenthood hasn't been as easy or straightforward as I would have hoped, so I'm sensitive to people being pushed to have kids at any particular time (even playfully) and thought I'd step in that way. Anyway, kinda off topic, and definitely more than I anticipated sharing here, but just wanted to clarify why I chimed in... :angel:

As the OP, I just wanted to pop in and say that I didn’t create this thread to speculate on the family planning wishes of anyone on the team (though I think it’s interesting to see the evolution here of people not feeling like the parent perspective is represented well). I know some of these remarks are in jest, but that’s not our business, nor would it address the gender imbalance of the show.

I mean... is it any more our business as to the inner workings of the people hired to be on the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter