movies--are they that big a deal?

I enjoy the movies on board ship because I don't have time to see what's playing at home (grad school). Our cruise time is getting away and relaxing (just cancelled an online course for the fall. What was I thinking !!!).

But the choice is up to you. Remember, the hardest part about a DCL cruise (after getting past the sticker shock) is deciding what NOT to do!

I guess that's the meat of the argument right there!
Didn't have any idea my simple musing would hit 3 pages LOL. BTW if you haven't seen the Incredibles 2, it is great!

I, for myself, see "doing (on a cruise) something I can do at home (in that case, the movie theater)" as a waste of time/money.

Yes, I paid for it already but it's like wasting a part of my investment. (We've done it once, on a sea day when we were really bored because we felt we had nothing better to do... and it was nothing special. Pretty much the same experience as we have at home but with crappier seats).

For some people who have a nice pool at home, spending time in the pool during a cruise could be seen as a waste of time/money.

I think there's an important distinction between deciding whether to go on a cruise in general versus deciding what to do once you are on board. I agree that, when deciding whether to book or not, going on a cruise just to watch movies would be pretty silly compared to seeing them at home. Once you're onboard, though, the money has been paid no matter what you do (and each activity, provided it doesn't cost extra, costs the same amount per hour), and it's just about the relative merits of the available options. So do what you think you will enjoy.

You'd rather do something else on the ship than go to the movies. That's a perfectly fine opinion. But if you think going to the movie would be more fun than anything else you could do with that time on the ship, then go to the movie without worrying about the perceived cost compared to home. As a general matter, don't do something you would enjoy less just because it's only available on the ship. For example, my family doesn't like the Broadway-style shows. It would be more fun for us to go to a movie, or swim, or get some ice cream (even paying extra for the fancy ice cream), than go to the shows. So we do those other things (even though we may be able to do them at home) instead of the shows and are happier for it.

That's one of the great things about a cruise. You have lots of activities available for different tastes. Do what you want to do, and don't get worked up if what you want to do for a couple of hours is watch a movie.

Plus it’s fun in the future, when the name of the movie comes up and the kids say, “Oh yeah, we saw that on our Dream Cruise” and it brings back more cruise memories to talk about.

Before Finding Nemo came out, my oldest DD was a newlywed, and they, myself, and my DS had 2 staterooms booked for a 7 night cruise (I believe we were on the Magic). My DD calls me and INSISTED I not go see it when it came out about a week before our cruise, so that we could all see it together on the ship! :cutie: They ended up showing it in the Walt Disney Theatre (where the stage shows are performed) instead of the Buena Vista theatre and it was great fun to see it together! And as another poster mentioned, it's fun to recall that we first saw Finding Nemo on a Disney cruise. :love:

I, for myself, see "doing (on a cruise) something I can do at home (in that case, the movie theater)" as a waste of time/money.

It begs to wonder why go on a cruise at all with that mindset. You can find a local pool, go to a buffet, play shuffleboard in your backyard, and on and on. I can't imagine evaluating every single thing I feel like doing on vacation to see if it would have "cost me less" at home. That is not what a vacation is for.

It begs to wonder why go on a cruise at all with that mindset. You can find a local pool, go to a buffet, play shuffleboard in your backyard, and on and on. I can't imagine evaluating every single thing I feel like doing on vacation to see if it would have "cost me less" at home. That is not what a vacation is for.

***Edited***

I never said I evaluated every single thing: I just said in the case of very short cruises, since the movie theater for me is very similar to what I can easily do at home, I chose to spend my very limited time on the ship doing other things/things that I can't do at home.

If you don't want to evaluate what cost you less at home... then don't! Some of us do (and actually enjoy calculating that kind of stuff ) and manage to have amazing relaxing vacations regardless of all the budgeting exercise...

Last edited:
I know I already paid.(Duh)

You are completely missing my point:

When you decide to buy something, don't you calculate the number of hours you had to work in order to pay for it to decide if the thing you wanna buy it's a good investment or not?

What I understood from OP's question is that some activities gives you more bang for your bucks than others and I agreed that some choices seem more like a logical investment than others.

Oh, man, no, I make an active effort to never do that. I used to do that and it resulted in me always going for the cheapest option regardless of what I wanted or what I'd get out of it, never buying anything fun, never even considering the possibility of a Disney trip at all--because for me, personally, when I look at things in terms of "I worked XYZ hours for this" it just makes me depressed and I can't enjoy the thing I'm paying for, because there always has to be some better "value" I could have found instead. It sounds like it works differently for you--that you enjoy thinking about things that way--but for me, personally, I find it paralyzing and it prevents me from getting any enjoyment out of my money. And from responses elsewhere on here, I think there are others who respond to that kind of cost/value analysis the same way I do.

I budget each paycheck out into a bunch of categories to make sure that first, my needs and obligations are met, second, that I have enough money to live comfortably in the moment, and third, to set money aside for big, fun things like Disney trips and new cameras and what-have-you. I know how much money I have in my budget for each of the things I want to buy or do, and that's all I need to know. I give myself permission to spend that money however I want; when I first book a trip I do consider things in terms of "If I stay at this resort, I will have more money for this other fun thing versus if I stay at this higher-cost resort I'll have to trim the money out from somewhere else," but I completely ignore the question of how many work hours went into paying for whatever I'm doing. The money is there and it's there to be spent on things I enjoy. That's all that matters. It's a "waste" of money to buy drinks and extra food on a cruise when all your food is included, but I do it anyway because I enjoy it (and I budget for it accordingly). It's a "waste" of money to pay $120 each for a meal at a signature restaurant in Disneyland, but my housemate and I budgeted for and did that last fall because it was the experience we wanted for that night of our trip. Frankly, it's a "waste" of money to go on a cruise at all...in my mind, at least. That's where my head goes when I think about the number of hours I had to work in order to buy something. When I think that way, nothing ever has enough value to part me from my money. Nothing.

That's a lot of words up there, but it really all boils down to one point: what works for you works for you, but may not work for other people. What you value in a vacation is valid, but other people may not value the same things, and their way of doing things is not less valid because of it. They're not making a mistake and they're not wasting their money. They're just approaching it differently to the way you do and making the choices that make them happy.

As to the original question about movies...I only made time for one movie on my January cruise, and it was one I'd missed in theaters (Coco). The others weren't high-priority enough for me in comparison to other activities onboard, so I just never made it to the movie theater until the last night, when I was able to catch a late-night showing. It was definitely in my plans for the trip, though, and I checked ahead on the schedule to be sure I could make it to a showing. I was glad I did; I loved the movie and every time I hear the soundtrack I think of that special trip on top of thinking about how good the movie is on its own merits.

Oh, man, no, I make an active effort to never do that. I used to do that and it resulted in me always going for the cheapest option regardless of what I wanted or what I'd get out of it, never buying anything fun, never even considering the possibility of a Disney trip at all--because for me, personally, when I look at things in terms of "I worked XYZ hours for this" it just makes me depressed and I can't enjoy the thing I'm paying for, because there always has to be some better "value" I could have found instead. It sounds like it works differently for you--that you enjoy thinking about things that way--but for me, personally, I find it paralyzing and it prevents me from getting any enjoyment out of my money. And from responses elsewhere on here, I think there are others who respond to that kind of cost/value analysis the same way I do.

I budget each paycheck out into a bunch of categories to make sure that first, my needs and obligations are met, second, that I have enough money to live comfortably in the moment, and third, to set money aside for big, fun things like Disney trips and new cameras and what-have-you. I know how much money I have in my budget for each of the things I want to buy or do, and that's all I need to know. I give myself permission to spend that money however I want; when I first book a trip I do consider things in terms of "If I stay at this resort, I will have more money for this other fun thing versus if I stay at this higher-cost resort I'll have to trim the money out from somewhere else," but I completely ignore the question of how many work hours went into paying for whatever I'm doing. The money is there and it's there to be spent on things I enjoy. That's all that matters. It's a "waste" of money to buy drinks and extra food on a cruise when all your food is included, but I do it anyway because I enjoy it (and I budget for it accordingly). It's a "waste" of money to pay $120 each for a meal at a signature restaurant in Disneyland, but my housemate and I budgeted for and did that last fall because it was the experience we wanted for that night of our trip. Frankly, it's a "waste" of money to go on a cruise at all...in my mind, at least. That's where my head goes when I think about the number of hours I had to work in order to buy something. When I think that way, nothing ever has enough value to part me from my money. Nothing.

That's a lot of words up there, but it really all boils down to one point: what works for you works for you, but may not work for other people. What you value in a vacation is valid, but other people may not value the same things, and their way of doing things is not less valid because of it. They're not making a mistake and they're not wasting their money. They're just approaching it differently to the way you do and making the choices that make them happy.

As to the original question about movies...I only made time for one movie on my January cruise, and it was one I'd missed in theaters (Coco). The others weren't high-priority enough for me in comparison to other activities onboard, so I just never made it to the movie theater until the last night, when I was able to catch a late-night showing. It was definitely in my plans for the trip, though, and I checked ahead on the schedule to be sure I could make it to a showing. I was glad I did; I loved the movie and every time I hear the soundtrack I think of that special trip on top of thinking about how good the movie is on its own merits.

As for the quote you put in "bold"... If was just trying to explain my point of view by referring to a budgeting method I thought most people used.

Never said other ways were not valid.

I never meant they were making a mistake or wasting their money, I was talking about me (and how I feel it is a waste of our money if we pick activities we have an easy access to at home).

EDIT: I just tried to explain --the best I could considering the language barrier-- how it works for us/me in a very specific situation and regarding certain items (I thought the extra precaution of using "I" and "for myself" was precise enough) and the way we/I calculate value.

Last edited:
Comment removed by user.

I don't want to argue about this. I replied with an explanation of why I'd interpreted previous comments as judgment rather than as sharing of personal experience, and frankly I think doing so is more likely to sow more strife than to resolve anything. Suffice to say no one's wrong about how they do vacations and I'm going to take a step back and choose not to jump on people for expressing an opinion and choose not to tone-police other users.

Last edited:
Our first couple of cruises I never went to see a movie. We wanted to see the stage shows and enjoy the ship. The last couple of cruises we have seen the stage shows already so we started doing different things. We are not into bingo or trivia and I am so pale that I burn in five seconds if exposed to the sun, so one day we decided to see a movie - I have been hooked ever since and usually see a movie or two on the ship. I find it relaxing and unless it is a new movie, usually not that crowded. I also love sometimes just ordering room service and watching the movies on demand on the TV.

I have learned not to worry about what other people think is a good thing or not to do on vacation. I order off the kids menu and don't feel bad at all about enjoying an Uncrustable peanut butter and jelly even though I know I could have more bang for my buck if I ordered the steak and lobster. It is how I roll and what I enjoy :)

Enjoy the movies or not, but no matter what just 'enjoy' your vacation!!

While I don't understand why or where people could have taken my posts as judgment regarding their way, it's not impossible that they interpreted it differently. I'm sorry if that happened as it wasn't my intent at all: my words may be lost in translation as what works in french may not work very well in english.

I used "you" as an part of an example and I thought I explicitly specified that it could apply to different things depending on what we have easy access to (movie theater, or pool, etc.).

I made modifications in hope that it reflects my intent more than the previous version.

:)

Last edited:
While I don't understand why or where people could have taken my posts as judgment regarding their way, it's not impossible that they interpreted it differently. However, that wasn't my intent at all: my words may be lost in translation as what works in french may not work in english. I used "you" as an part of an example and I thought I explicitly specified that it could apply to different things depending on what we have easy access to (movie theater, or pool, etc.).

But hey, I see your point. I just changed it all for "I"s. Hope this works out better this way...

When I said I used lots of I's and for myself I meant in other posts later in the discussion. To be honest, I'm still shocked that the first one could have been interpreted the way you said it was, that is why I did not include anything regarding it in my last mention.

I feel bad; I actually just came here to remove my comment (and kind of..uh..did so just before you posted this reply). I was riled up over my perception of what you'd said and wrote my replies without taking a minute to step back and ask myself if I was really being helpful to the conversation as a whole or if I was just arguing with something you probably hadn't really meant the way I interpreted it. I could probably restore the comment, but I honestly don't know if that's better or worse at this point.

I feel bad; I actually just came here to remove my comment (and kind of..uh..did so just before you posted this reply). I was riled up over my perception of what you'd said and wrote my replies without taking a minute to step back and ask myself if I was really being helpful to the conversation as a whole or if I was just arguing with something you probably hadn't really meant the way I interpreted it. I could probably restore the comment, but I honestly don't know if that's better or worse at this point.

EDIT: I removed your quote and modified my comments a bit. I hope it will "realign" the conversation. :)

We decided to see solo on its premier night on the fantasy. Only movie we have ever given up ship time to watch. I thought the theater would be packed since it was the premier and all. The theater was not full, which surprised us. Guess other people also don’t want to give up ship time for the movies!

Sigh. The value of individual activities. I could stand and look at the sea for free without going on a cruise. Or for the price of a train ticket at least. That's not what I want to be thinking late at night on deck 4.

Everyone ticks a little bit differently. It's a good thing or the world would be free of innovation.

OP, I hear you. We have a much better movie experience in our home theater or in a local cinema with a bunch of friends. The seats, the theater, the choices - all objectively better.

But there is something to be said of the convenience factor. Pretty much everything you do on a cruise can be done better or cheaper outside of it, but it's sometimes convenient to do it all while on a cruise. It's convenient to swim. Convenient to dine. Convenient to watch. Convenient to just sit around and relax. No additional planning or effort needed.

Don't know if I'll discuss it to death in FB pages, but I can see why if someone feels like it on their cruise, they might just hop into the theater and catch a movie. It's their vacation.

We decided to see solo on its premier night on the fantasy. Only movie we have ever given up ship time to watch. I thought the theater would be packed since it was the premier and all. The theater was not full, which surprised us. Guess other people also don’t want to give up ship time for the movies!

That is a bit surprising that the theater wasn’t packed on the premier night. I went to the evening 3D showing of The Force Awakens on the Dream and it was packed with people even sitting on the stairs. Solo is getting pretty poor reviews and Disney/Lucasfilm announced yesterday that they were putting all Star Wars spinoffs on hold.

Ship time is definitely precious (it's why we all want to get on board asap) but I still try to see a movie or two while onboard. I'll most likely watch a film while in port at Nassau because i don't get off the ship. I totally understand how people feel about movies on the shorter cruise itineraries (3&4 night) because you want to get as much in as you can. I say make the best of your cruise vacation because as far as leisure time...you have complete control. There is no right or wrong answer because it's your vacation so do what you want and have fun!

There are movies we specifically skip during the year because we think that it will be fun to see on the ship. We had a blast at the Beauty and Beast premier last year and it was PACKED.

My husband enjoys watching movies on the cruise. I don't mind it...just as long as it's not too late in the evening...otherwise, I'll fall asleep. Perhaps, I'm exhausted or it's the ships movement, but if I see a late show on the ship, I'm out within an hour.

I've never fallen asleep in a regular movie theatre even during late movies. But on cruises, it doesn't even need to be too late and I'll fall asleep.

So, we try to plan seeing day shows so I can, at least, finish the movie. I'd rather be a little more active at night so I can stay up a little. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter