• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Muppet Sale Looms

Frank Oz & Henson's kids.

The biggest problem with the Muppets is that without Jim, their vision seems to have gone a bit fuzzy. The "Muppet Christmas Carol" (the first major project after Jim died) was pretty good, but the next couple of movies ("Muppet Treasure Island" and "Muppets from Space") weren't nearly as good.

Their primary asset at the moment seems to be technical wizardry with puppets (think 'Babe'). I, frankly, worry about Disney acquiring this property because what it really needs is another storyteller & Disney seems to be out of the business of telling stories and in the business of revisiting everything they've ever done. I live in fear of them producing "Snow White II: The Dwarves Strike Back."

Sarangel

Personally, I don't think Disney has allowed the Muppets and Henson Co to do their best. Henson's kids have done a great job bringing their skills and talents to new levels - I loved their storyteller series, and Riegel on "Farscape" is fantastic.

Disney doesn't and never has owned the muppets. They were in talks until shortly after Jim died, but Brian didn't like how things were going (he was angry that images and names were used for a promotion without his consent)... Just recently (like 2 years ago) The whole company was purchased by a German TV conglomerate. The Sesame Street muppets now belong to Children's Televison Workshop.
If you want to see what could have happened to Disney had Wells and Eisner not been hired on in '84, look at Henson.
There is no definite vision or direction, the company is owned by an outside party, and parts are being sold off.

Given the current legal battle with the Pooh characters, why would Henson and Oz even consider of teaming with Eisner?

Seasame Street characters will ALWAYS be property of CTW. As for the others...Muppets and Disney COULD be a great pair. There is potential there, but Disney certainly didn't take it. Unfortunately, Disney really threw a monkey wrench into it with their "insensitivity" when Jim died.

Like Walt, Jim was a visionary. Unfortunately the funds didn't always cover the vision. I miss them both a heck of alot.

(What other adult will be brave enough to say they cried when Henson died?)

I just don't understand the backlash that Eisner is taking right now. As Safari Steve put it, had Eisner and Wells not come in in '84, whose to say what vision Disney would be following... it could have been sliced and diced to the point that is was unrecognizible. Eisner did much good for the company and the parks. Yes, there have been missteps, but I think if you look, you will find that in any major company. Disney is just under the microscope more than most.

Yes Yes, Eisner and Wells were great, bully bully for them. that was then and this is now and even if timekeeper were open, he wouldn't be able to move me back to a time when Disney was strong. its time for a change and that's why Eisner is under the microscope. (no more then any other huge company)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter