m

So jealous that you're headed to Disney! Also, great job keeping on track with your training, despite the cold. You're going to love those warmer temps!

Second place and champagne!? I would like to end every race with those. Haha. Have fun at WDW! Hopefully it warms up a bit.

Right now, my plan is to do a long run of 8-9 miles the weekend before the 10 miler. My longest run lately is 7.5 miles, and I have felt good (like I could go longer without trouble), so I am feeling relatively prepared.

Do you plan to race the 10 miler? How long does 8-9 miles take at Long Run pace (M Tempo + 9%)? My advice is to do no more than 90 minutes of long run pace the weekend before the race.

I am now going to start turning my attention to my half marathon training plan. The race is May 6. Sooooo…….calling @DopeyBadger. Any chance you have some time to help map out a training plan for the half? Am I really behind/late? Hopefully not!

Definitely enough time between now and then and I can surely find the time myself! I'll send you a PM with questions to get started on.

Do you plan to race the 10 miler? How long does 8-9 miles take at Long Run pace (M Tempo + 9%)? My advice is to do no more than 90 minutes of long run pace the weekend before the race.

Definitely enough time between now and then and I can surely find the time myself! I'll send you a PM with questions to get started on.

It’s my first 10 miler, so I want to do well, but don’t feel the need to chase a specific time. The 8-9 should take me about 90 minutes, so that lines up well. I generally race somewhere in the 9:45-10 range, and long runs end up in the 11ish range. Especially since I am just getting over the plague, and who knows what the weather will be (including whether it could be snowy
Or icy).

Heading over to respond to your PM! Thanks!

Woohoo for a new DB training plan. Glad that you are feeling healthy again.

Great job on your 5-miler too!

Side note: I am trying to pay closer attention to my mental state while running -- too much self-doubt and fear, and not enough pushing myself (I need to get more comfortable with being uncomfortable). Around mile 1.5 my head was in a “why do I do this, I should give up running altogether, and how can I ever run a 10 miler or half this spring” mindset. But, 5 min after finishing, I’m all “that was amazing, can’t wait to run again”! So, a rollercoaster for sure. I think I am just starting to acknowledge and recognize these thoughts, and next I need to find a way to tackle them. Any tips on the mental game would be greatly appreciated!!

I think we all have these thoughts during races, at least I know I do anyway, especially in races where I'm pushing it. When the negative thoughts creep in, I try and visualize how great I'll feel when I'm done and hanging another medal on the rack. I also have to remind myself that I run because I can - that always puts things into perspective.

So glad you have kicked the "crud" and are back to feeling healthy! Excited to follow along as your embark on your new plan :)

Ended up finishing in 46:01 -- so I was really happy! Pace was one of my faster races, 9:13, and my Garmin tells me I ran a 5k PR (28:13).
Way to go!! (and I hope you ate a good breakfast/lunch afterward ;) )

Any tips on the mental game would be greatly appreciated!!
popcorn:: I really need this advice too...

Ended up finishing in 46:01 -- so I was really happy! Pace was one of my faster races, 9:13, and my Garmin tells me I ran a 5k PR (28:13).

:woohoo:

Told you, you were faster than that 5k PR. :D No doubt it's much lower than that as well. Was there much chatting in this race? Just think that if we're right this may or may not be very close to you HM pace by May. Time will tell since it was a shot in the dark.

Side note: I am trying to pay closer attention to my mental state while running -- too much self-doubt and fear, and not enough pushing myself (I need to get more comfortable with being uncomfortable). Around mile 1.5 my head was in a “why do I do this, I should give up running altogether, and how can I ever run a 10 miler or half this spring” mindset. But, 5 min after finishing, I’m all “that was amazing, can’t wait to run again”! So, a rollercoaster for sure. I think I am just starting to acknowledge and recognize these thoughts, and next I need to find a way to tackle them. Any tips on the mental game would be greatly appreciated!!

Believe.

One of my runners once said to me:

As I mentioned in the other conversation, I had a minute of panic around 18 miles, when I took a glance at the Garmin and saw the hours and miles adding up. For every negative thought that popped into my head during those highway miles, I fired back with two positive ones and remembered to smile. And again, I can't tell you how much it meant to know that you felt that I could really do this. For several minutes or miles (I really don't know), I was having an entire philosophical argument with myself about why I wasn't more confident about this endeavor, but luckily, I was able to move past it, and finally said to myself, "Billy knows you can crush it, so just go find him at the finish already, and prove it to yourself that you can crush it!"

My first suggestion would be to try some blind running (and even racing), but it might be necessary to save that until after the May HM (and might be difficult with run/walk). It's helped a few of my runners with self-doubt and race pacing issues.

You've got to find that trigger for why those thoughts come into your head. Fear of what? For me, it was a fear of not hitting my goal pace. So that led me to stop looking at pace during racing. It has felt so much more free not knowing how fast or slow I am running. But rather I just trust my training will take me where I want to be. And if it doesn't happen, I pick myself up and try try again. But that's a me thing. You've got to truly ask yourself what the fear and self-doubt is centered around before you can come up with a great mental solution for you.

But to circle back, I believe in you. I know you can and will do it. Go out there and prove to yourself you can do it as well. If you can complete the training as we set up, then I feel quite confident about what the end results will be under ideal weather conditions. And even if we have to make adjustments, that's fine to. I still believe. So believe in yourself.

:woohoo:

Told you, you were faster than that 5k PR. :D No doubt it's much lower than that as well. Was there much chatting in this race? Just think that if we're right this may or may not be very close to you HM pace by May. Time will tell since it was a shot in the dark.

Believe.

One of my runners once said to me:

As I mentioned in the other conversation, I had a minute of panic around 18 miles, when I took a glance at the Garmin and saw the hours and miles adding up. For every negative thought that popped into my head during those highway miles, I fired back with two positive ones and remembered to smile. And again, I can't tell you how much it meant to know that you felt that I could really do this. For several minutes or miles (I really don't know), I was having an entire philosophical argument with myself about why I wasn't more confident about this endeavor, but luckily, I was able to move past it, and finally said to myself, "Billy knows you can crush it, so just go find him at the finish already, and prove it to yourself that you can crush it!"

My first suggestion would be to try some blind running (and even racing), but it might be necessary to save that until after the May HM (and might be difficult with run/walk). It's helped a few of my runners with self-doubt and race pacing issues.

You've got to find that trigger for why those thoughts come into your head. Fear of what? For me, it was a fear of not hitting my goal pace. So that led me to stop looking at pace during racing. It has felt so much more free not knowing how fast or slow I am running. But rather I just trust my training will take me where I want to be. And if it doesn't happen, I pick myself up and try try again. But that's a me thing. You've got to truly ask yourself what the fear and self-doubt is centered around before you can come up with a great mental solution for you.

But to circle back, I believe in you. I know you can and will do it. Go out there and prove to yourself you can do it as well. If you can complete the training as we set up, then I feel quite confident about what the end results will be under ideal weather conditions. And even if we have to make adjustments, that's fine to. I still believe. So believe in yourself.

Thank you for this.

And lots of good food for thought to get started with in terms of mental training.

It helps to have a journal to talk it out a little - and know that others are having similar thoughts.

(Oh, and no chatting this time - I ran by myself! I felt like I was holding back a bit so as not to burn out early - but overall felt good!)

Joining late, but just read your journal, congrats on solid running and a new DB plan. Mental training is tough for me as well. One thing, kind of silly, but totally got me through Dopey 2018 was a Daruma doll. My husband brought one back from his tour in japan. It's one of those goal dolls where you fill in one eye with your goal and get to fill in the other eye when you reach said goal. I put him on our mantel in the living room and every time I went out for a run I would look at him to remind me of my goal and I knew I had to do the work to achieve so that he could get his other eye. Any time things got tough I would tell myself he has to have another eye and it would help pull me through. Literal the last 4 miles of the marathon that was all that went through my head was keep going he needs another eye, he can't live with just one eye. Totally got me through and I was so excited when I got back and was able to give him 2 eyes. He is now a constant reminder of what I achieved and just makes me smile. I might actually get another one for every "A" goal and just start lining them up. Best thoughts for your up coming 10 miler, I am sure you will crush it.

Joining late, but just read your journal, congrats on solid running and a new DB plan. Mental training is tough for me as well. One thing, kind of silly, but totally got me through Dopey 2018 was a Daruma doll. My husband brought one back from his tour in japan. It's one of those goal dolls where you fill in one eye with your goal and get to fill in the other eye when you reach said goal. I put him on our mantel in the living room and every time I went out for a run I would look at him to remind me of my goal and I knew I had to do the work to achieve so that he could get his other eye. Any time things got tough I would tell myself he has to have another eye and it would help pull me through. Literal the last 4 miles of the marathon that was all that went through my head was keep going he needs another eye, he can't live with just one eye. Totally got me through and I was so excited when I got back and was able to give him 2 eyes. He is now a constant reminder of what I achieved and just makes me smile. I might actually get another one for every "A" goal and just start lining them up. Best thoughts for your up coming 10 miler, I am sure you will crush it.

That is a really cool idea! Funny that you mention it because I was looking at those dolls while shopping in the Japan pavilion at Epcot over Dopey weekend.

I didn't know you had a journal going - but I'm here now and following along!
Congrats on the Super Sunday race (not so much on the Super Bowl ...).

In terms of mental - when I find myself struggling and doubting myself, I actually try to think about something else. Whether it's making my to-do list for the day (which I actually usually do the night before) or planning my next Disney vacation ... I find that "changing the subject" in my brain takes away those doubts for a little bit. If you distract yourself well enough, you may reach that awesome feeling without every truly getting into the negative thoughts. I know that doesn't work for everyone, but it might be worth a try.

It sounds cheesy but I have mantra's that I repeat to myself over and over again. I use them both on really hard training runs and during races. I just try an make sure they are affirmative. "You can do this" vs "Don't Quit" they are usually short, and I often add math to distract myself. "You can do this, just one more quarter mile and you are half way to halfway there" etc...

I also follow people that I can mentally latch on to. Chris Koch (is "If I Can") on facebook. His stuff is really encouraging. This is Chris at the Marine Corps Marathon.

IMG_2564.JPG

Tagging on to the mental game, there's a quote from a cyclist, Jens Voigt, "Shut up Legs". I used it last year when getting a new half PR. It's really about using your brain to reinforce to your body that YOU are in charge and that YOU can push through anything if you set your mind to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!