"Must Take" Disney pics?

Briarprincess

Disney Movie Buff and Future Special Education Tea
I've never posted here before, but I love taking pictures of everything (and I do mean everything). This helps since I also love to do scrapbooks and mess with Paint Shop. I have a Kodak z700, which I'm horrible with, even though I've had it for a year. Still haven't learned many of the settings, but I'm working on it since--
We're leaving in 65 days for DW and I'm so excited! :cool1:

Are there any pictures that you take every time you go?
Or things that you wish you had gotten a picture of but forgot?
I'm trying to make a list of everything, so I don't miss anything.
It could be signs, buildings, areas, anything!
TIA!!:thumbsup2

I think Disney marks key photo spots on it's maps. Almost everyone takes a shot of their party at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom and in front of each of the four major weenies (Cinderella's Castle (MK), Spaceship Earth (Epcot), Sorcerer's Hat (MGM), Tree of Life (AK). Fireworks shots and parade shots are also very, very popular.

You might want to look through the Disney Picture of The Day thread over in the Theme Park Attractions and Strategies forum for example pictures. You might also check people's sigs and profiles here when you find that you like their photos. They can give you good ideas. Just understand that some people are getting good photos because they are great photographers and others are getting good photos because they have great equipment. No matter how good you are, there are some shots that you just can't get without expensive gear, espcially low light shots.

My advice is to focus on taking pictures of the people you travel with rather than "postcard" type shots. You can use other people's postcard shots for the ones you miss. You might also consider getting a photopass.

While there are many better photographers on the board than myself, you can see my shots by using the links in my sig. I skimped on the traditional shots but you might get some good ideas for some non-traditional shots. Just be forwarned that I fall deeply into the "great equipment" category, so some of my shots might be hard to reproduce with a mid-range digital point & shoot camera.

Oh, and don't miss my not very informative, delusional trip report (also in my sig). It will provide you with lots of misinformation that you can't really use. Hopefully, you will enjoy it.

My advice is to focus on taking pictures of the people you travel with rather than "postcard" type shots. You can use other people's postcard shots for the ones you miss. You might also consider getting a photopass.

While there are many better photographers on the board than myself, you can see my shots by using the links in my sig. I skimped on the traditional shots but you might get some good ideas for some non-traditional shots. Just be forwarned that I fall deeply into the "great equipment" category, so some of my shots might be hard to reproduce with a mid-range digital point & shoot camera.

I would agree in that get many shots with your group, especially with kids. There are tons of unique shots available (some of my favorites include pulling the sword out of the stone, interacting with the living statues in Italy, and reactions to their favorite rides.)

As an 'avid' photographer, I too can get overwelmed by shots. Try and enjoy what your seeing.. You can't do everything in 'the world'... no matter how long you're there.

And this board is a great place to followup... if you're looking for some 'static' object, sign or building when you are finishing up a scrapbook page...There is a good chance someone else has taken it.

Oh yeah... And as for Marks closing comment, I have a hard time with that. I love the pictures I tend to take, but its VERY easy to get 'camera envy' when I see some of the other pics posted here! (Marks included.. He is definately in that list of great photographers here!)

If I have enough time, which I will for sure on our upcoming trip, I like to spend a day, get this, without my camera... That way you can truely forget about it and just enjoy the day. I try to do this closer to the beginning of the trip so If I see something I want a picture of, I can go back.

Best advice I can give, is take pictures of things that inspire you, make you go ahhhh, you think are beautiful or quirky... Getting the same pics as everyone else is ok, but when you get one that no one else has or a perspective that is unique to you, then you have a memory...

Thanks for the tips!
This is probably my 25th visit to Disney, and I'm only 20. So I've got a really good idea of some of the things I want to take pictures of. I'm really excited about this trip because a lot of 'firsts' and special things are going on. The "postcard shots" are what I'm best at, since they're point and shoot for the most part. But what I'm really trying to work on is fireworks and parades. No one in my family has ever been able to get a decent picture. I'm also thinking about picking up a neat tripod I found on the kodak website that attaches to any stable surface (tree, fence, etc.).
Thanks again for your help!!

it really depends on the individual. there are the routine set of 'family vacation photos - such as the family photo in front of the park entry and in front of the castle
l217.jpg

and there are lots of opportunities to take photos of the kids with their favourite characters
l60.jpg

of course there are lots of nice scenic places around the parks. just look for signs like these:
picture-40.jpg
l149.jpg

there are often opportunities to take photos on/of rides
l159.jpg

especially if it's of your sister who lives in another country
l107.jpg

just don't forget to take ones that simply remind you of the trip
l98.jpg

and don't forget to have someone take some of you
:confused3 :lmao:

btw - you might look at the 'pics an avg. tourist doesn't take'... thread for some good ideas!

There are a lot of spots marked with the traditional Picture Spot as the OP mentioned and then there will be the ones that just sort jump out at your personailty and say's I want that picture like another OP mentioned. Don't stress over trying to preplan your pictures IMHO because they will come to YOU! Go and enjoy the moment and capture what you can:thumbsup2 Hope you all have a wonderful trip:cool1:

it really depends on the individual. there are the routine set of 'family vacation photos - such as the family photo in front of the park entry and in front of the castle
l217.jpg

and there are lots of opportunities to take photos of the kids with their favourite characters
l60.jpg

of course there are lots of nice scenic places around the parks. just look for signs like these:
picture-40.jpg
l149.jpg

there are often opportunities to take photos on/of rides
l159.jpg

especially if it's of your sister who lives in another country
l107.jpg

just don't forget to take ones that simply remind you of the trip
l98.jpg

and don't forget to have someone take some of you
:confused3 :lmao:

btw - you might look at the 'pics an avg. tourist doesn't take'... thread for some good ideas!

Your pics are great, and really seem to capture the special moments and memories only at Disney!!!

Like others have mentioned, try to enjoy the World. Take photos when you are inspired, but don't focus only on photography. You'll miss alot. And, the benefit of not getting every shot is that you'll "have to" go back another time to get shots you missed.

Hey there. I see that no one is really answering your question, lol. Some of the best shots you can get in WDW are closeups of things otherwise unseen. Or, Try shooting things like:
- The Cinderella Fountain at the top of the left-hand-side pathway behind the castle in MK. If you shoot it at just the right angle, the crown behind her appears to be on her head.
- On the right side pathway up to the castle in MK, there's a fountain that matches the Cinderella one but has the mice, Gus and Jack down in the lower section in bronze.
- The other cool thing in MK is the Liberty Tree. The lanterns hanging on the tree (which, just to note, i never used to even notice) are beautiful black iron. Against the tree leaves and branches, they look amazing.
- AK has some great little features everywhere. One of my favorites in the tree of ribbons and bells just outside of the Flights of Wonder show on the way into Asia.
- AK also has a ton of amazing carved stones around the park. Don't forget about close ups of the Tree of Life. Get as close as you can and fill the entire frame with the carvings....it's fun to pick out the animals when you get home.
- E-WS has a million things to photograph. A couple of my favorites are: The tiles and columns in the building on the left hand side in Morocco as well as the arches of the roofs, the koi pond, bamboo and roofs in Japan, and the indoor marketplace lanterns in Mexico.

Another thing i've taken to photograph lately is hidden mickeys. They are literally everywhere! I couldn't believe how many until i bought the Hidden Mickey book....also, ask cast members for their favorite HMs or photospots. I stay away from the Kodak Picture Spots like the plague.

I hope some of this may be helpful for your trip.

OH YA! One last thing. Dont use your flash for fireworks or light parades...it pretty much absorbes the lights you're trying to capture. It drives me nuts to watch people do that....also, flashes usually only carry a couple of feet at the most, anything past that isn't going to be lit.

:sulley: :stitch: :ccat: :maleficen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter