My 4th running life !! (Comments Welcome)

So have been focussed on getting long runs in over the last few weeks in preparation for my 26.2 in 4 weeks time, 15 miles done 2 weeks ago and 17 last week….. tomorrow will be 19/20 miles prior to flying out Wednesday for the Sprinting surprise.

We are away for 2 weeks so will race the 10 miler at WDW then on way home on 24th April I will race a Half Marathon with a view to trying to going Sub 2.

I ha e packed my suitcase and have selected my race shirt , I have ran quite a few Disney races since my first WDW marathon in 2004 but they were all 2016/2017 at Disneyland CA.

So in honour of my first WDW race since 2005 I am going with this…..

1681041558285.png

Will be staying at the All Star …. really getting excited now 😁😁😁

Who else is going

Last edited:
Just back from picking up my bib and T Shirt, skipped the expo….. I am not prepared to join an online queue just for the opportunity to buy race merchandise…. Probably just my age showing there but I can’t help it 😂😂

Also I have so many Disney race T Shirts and medals I don’t really need anymore.

Had an enjoyable easy 3 miles , not to humid and made a change running in warm weather.

Will be leaving for the parks at 0630 tomorrow so undecided if I will run in the A.M.

6C1FE6F4-1650-4E61-8FBC-DC2FA4281E19.jpeg

Hey !! took a little while to get round to the race recap 😂😂 Life in many forms has gotten in the way off many things running being one.

I enjoyed the race although very humid plodded round in 1.42.27, I did like the course and was fun to run a distance I had not done before.

I note there are spaces still left for 2024 but don’t know if I will be clear of current situations that would allow me to properly enjoy such a trip.

I have regained some but not all of the weight I had lost so trying to get back below 170 lbs again.

Running has continued but added weight and some inconsistency has seen my training time drop quite a bit but no matter. I have run 450 miles for the year which I know is not much but significantly more than any of the last 4 years, I am hoping to finish the year at 600 fingers crossed.

I am considering early retirement in the next 12 months a bit earlier than I had intended, and have been reflected as quite a number of runners I have know since I first ran I. 2004 have had to give up completely due to ongoing health issues as they have got older I am feeling a real sense of needing to make the most of the ability to run and try to achieve goals whilst I still can.

I had an fated DNF at a Full Marathon in May, I struggle with ITB over 16/17 miles. So I may have to accept a full marathon may not be in my future the last one being in 2005 and I had the same issues then.

I don’t have any races planned or in the books as yet but am on the lookout for a suitable Half Marathon in the new year.

In the meantime running is providing some release from life current challenges.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Stay Safe

Col

4 runs this week for a total of 12 miles.

Missed long run today but my hip was very painful so decided a rest day was in order.

There are no Half Marathons nearby for the remainder of the year that I fancy which I normally have as an upcoming goal.

I have decided to see if I can break 26 mi s for 5 k before end of year.

I did 26.41back in March but I weigh 18lbs more at this point….. but I think with good diet and following a specific 5k plan it is possible.

Have a great week everyone

Col

So for last 3 weeks running has been sporadic with this week being very poor.

Lots of reasons but lack of proper routine and motivation the main culprit.

29th October to 5th November

4 runs = 15 miles

6th to 12th November

3 runs 8.6 miles

13th to 19th November

1 run 3 miles

However the universe must have been listening to me when I bemoaned the lack of local up and coming races and lo and behold a new half marathon has been announced in my home town in 15 weeks time🙏

I have dug out my old 1999 copy of the competitive runners hand book, well worn and missing it’s back cover and selected a training plan and will attempt to follow it rather than my usual make it up as I go.

IMG_0090.jpeg

I will do a few weeks of the base mileage weeks until the plan kicks in in 2 weeks time.

Managed 2.08 in spring this year but going to try and dedicate myself properly to see if I can get sub 2 a running bucket list item.

Looking ahead to 2024 I have decided to run only local races this year so rough plan is as follows

Middlesbrough Half 3 Feb

Sunderland Half 12 May

Middlesbrough 10k 1st Sep

Redcar Half September 22nd September.

For 5k’s in the UK there is a thing called Parkrun free organised timed 5ks every Saturday at 9 am.

There are hundreds of them and I have about 4 within a 5 minute drive.

There is also one on a Sunday which is the same idea but independent of Parkrun about 3 miles away so I will likely do quite a few of these in my attempt to get below 26 minutes.

If anyone is ever here for a visit looking for a free, timed social 5k check it out, I know there are some now in North America, I did one in San Francisco but not as widespread I think as here. Anyway they are great 👍

I am trying to find a Santa Dash/Turkey trot to see out the year but not found one yet.

Below is a Copy of my Half Marathon plan, feel free to make any suggestions.

IMG_0089.jpeg

Have a great week everyone

Col

So on todays run I passed 500 miles for the year. My previous 3 years on Strava averaged between 260 and 325 so this feels like progress.

Hoping to finish at 600 for the year (99 to go 😂)

Felt like a milestone so thought I would share as no one in”real life” world would get it 🤣🤣🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!