My cousin just had stomach bypass surgery and we're taking her to WDW in Feb, 2021

Avery&Todd

DIS Veteran
As my thread title states, my cousin, who we're taking to Disney in February, had stomach bypass surgery last month so she'll be in her 5th month of "reduced eating" by our trip. She will still have some food restrictions but we're really talking that she can only eat 3oz of meat and 1 oz of veggies at a time...and she's allergic to egg so that's another factor.

She's going to get a note from her Dr stating she's had the surgery so maybe she can be allowed to order off the kids menu, but I was hoping folks that might have personal experience with this be able to share their answers to my questions:

1. Did any particular restaurants give you grief on ordering from the kids menu vs. the adult side?
2. Did you speak to a chef, or just make adjustment to an entree with the waitstaff?
3. If you ate a restaurant with a priced fixed menu, like Liberty Tree Tavern, did they charge you an adult or kids size meal?

This is her first trip to Disney and she's totally prepared to pay as an adult but I was just curious on what others might have experienced. We do plan on eating in Cinderella & BOG castle so depending on how it progresses from now until then on character meals we know that those locations would probably charge her as an adult. She really wants the "experience" at eating at these restaurants and at this point doesn't care about the money!

I know things are different now with COVID vs. pre-COVID but would love feedback on your experiences then and now!

Thanks!

Congrats to your cousin!!! I did the gastric bypass in 2013 and went to Disney about 10 months after. I had the laminated card that said I should be allowed to order and pay for child meal's. This did not work at Disney. I remember eating at Crystal Palace and one other character meal and I paid for the full adult price. I had no problem at counter service or regular menu sit down places...it was buffets and prix fixe that didn't allow it. I was prepared for that so I wasn't angry but I also thought "What the heck. I'll try. The worst they can say is no." I would tell her to try her note from her doctor but be prepared to pay full price. Good luck and have fun!!!

Congrats to your cousin!!! I did the gastric bypass in 2013 and went to Disney about 10 months after. I had the laminated card that said I should be allowed to order and pay for child meal's. This did not work at Disney. I remember eating at Crystal Palace and one other character meal and I paid for the full adult price. I had no problem at counter service or regular menu sit down places...it was buffets and prix fixe that didn't allow it. I was prepared for that so I wasn't angry but I also thought "What the heck. I'll try. The worst they can say is no." I would tell her to try her note from her doctor but be prepared to pay full price. Good luck and have fun!!!
THANKS!!!!

That's what she's thinking - I told her that for buffets/characters meals she would probably be charged as an adult but when we first planned this trip it was over a year ago when there were actually buffets and full character meals!!

Congrats to you!!

Tell her to go online and check the menus ahead of time. Appetizers as a meal often provide not only a smaller portion but a much better quality of protein than kids meals do. And for me, since I can't eat much, it's all about the protein.
YES - I've mentioned this to her too! OR, there is always the option that we could share a meal.....

thanks everyone!!!

My sister had this done a few months ago and it is not a matter of just ordering smaller portions, it is about the quality of food that she eats. So the crap food on the kid's menu would be a bit "nope" for her. Fried food, breaded, high carbs are all out. In fact, my sister does not eat any carbs anymore because they bloat her and make her sick. She has to stick to lean meats, fish, and veggies in very small quantities. Basically, the whole way that you eat changes. You can only consume very little and so that has to count.

My sister had this done a few months ago and it is not a matter of just ordering smaller portions, it is about the quality of food that she eats. So the crap food on the kid's menu would be a bit "nope" for her. Fried food, breaded, high carbs are all out. In fact, my sister does not eat any carbs anymore because they bloat her and make her sick. She has to stick to lean meats, fish, and veggies in very small quantities. Basically, the whole way that you eat changes. You can only consume very little and so that has to count.
Yes & correct! - and I guess I should have said that our plan for a "kids menu" would be at like California Grill where she can order off the kids menu a tenderloin, grilled salmon or chicken for $15-$17 vs. the adult menu for $44-$59 when she knows she can't eat that whole adult sized filet when the kid portion would be perfect - especially when she can add to it green beans and maybe some fruit...

We have already discussed that some of the quick service places in the parks would have more nuggets, mac & cheese, pizza on their kids menu and for lunches, so maybe we'll just split a turkey sandwich (or something like that) where she can eat the meat/cheese off it and skip the bread.

Thanks!

Yes & correct! - and I guess I should have said that our plan for a "kids menu" would be at like California Grill where she can order off the kids menu a tenderloin, grilled salmon or chicken for $15-$17 vs. the adult menu for $44-$59 when she knows she can't eat that whole adult sized filet when the kid portion would be perfect - especially when she can add to it green beans and maybe some fruit...

We have already discussed that some of the quick service places in the parks would have more nuggets, mac & cheese, pizza on their kids menu and for lunches, so maybe we'll just split a turkey sandwich (or something like that) where she can eat the meat/cheese off it and skip the bread.

Thanks!

I think it more likely that she will be able to share food with other adults. The portion sizes are big anyway.

I think it more likely that she will be able to share food with other adults. The portion sizes are big anyway.

This. Usually when an adult orders off the kids menu, they adjust the serving to make it adult sized...and priced.

Anything AYCTE/family style she WILL be charged as an adult.

Last edited:
Great responses everyone.

The card is useless. The price is the price at fixed price places. There is no flexibility. But you know that going in, so that’s great.

hope you have a very lovely trip

Usually when an adult orders off the kids menu, they adjust the serving to make it adult sized...and priced.
I know that's the case when you're on the dining plan, but I've never known that to be the case when payout out of pocket.

I know that's the case when you're on the dining plan, but I've never known that to be the case when payout out of pocket.

It's what most reports I've seen have said, even now with no plan.

I don't pick places to eat where I don't like something on the adult menu, so I don't know - just going by reports I've read.

To be honest, it varies from restaurant to restaurant. Some will allow you to order off the kids menu, others won't. My sister in law ran into this three years ago.
As others have stated, family style and buffets are priced as is, no wiggle room there.

i have never felt like Disney is forcing anyone to order more than they can eat. i personally don't eat three meals a day and love to share entree's. this has never been a problem.

Aside from buffets, sharing an entree is not a problem as is just ordering an app or soup. Disney is pretty good about that.

There are so many more options that settling for the kids menu; chicken nuggets, mac & cheese and pizza. January 2020 I was 2 months post-op from jaw surgery and was on a soft food diet. I was able to order many items a la cart and some items customized to make them easier to eat.

As my thread title states, my cousin, who we're taking to Disney in February, had stomach bypass surgery last month so she'll be in her 5th month of "reduced eating" by our trip. She will still have some food restrictions but we're really talking that she can only eat 3oz of meat and 1 oz of veggies at a time...and she's allergic to egg so that's another factor.

She's going to get a note from her Dr stating she's had the surgery so maybe she can be allowed to order off the kids menu, but I was hoping folks that might have personal experience with this be able to share their answers to my questions:

1. Did any particular restaurants give you grief on ordering from the kids menu vs. the adult side?
2. Did you speak to a chef, or just make adjustment to an entree with the waitstaff?
3. If you ate a restaurant with a priced fixed menu, like Liberty Tree Tavern, did they charge you an adult or kids size meal?

This is her first trip to Disney and she's totally prepared to pay as an adult but I was just curious on what others might have experienced. We do plan on eating in Cinderella & BOG castle so depending on how it progresses from now until then on character meals we know that those locations would probably charge her as an adult. She really wants the "experience" at eating at these restaurants and at this point doesn't care about the money!

I know things are different now with COVID vs. pre-COVID but would love feedback on your experiences then and now!

Thanks!
I was wondering how your cousin did on your trip in February. I am planning a trip this November. I had gastric bypass in 2019. I still eat very small portions. In addition, I am a pescatarian (the only meat I eat is seafood), so I am concerned about finding bariatric friendly pescatarian meals at Disney.
I would love to hear a follow up on your cousin's experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter