My friends think I’m crazy

Annie347

Earning My Ears
I have recently become the foster mom to my 2 year old niece. I have had two trips to Disney cancelled until the past year for various reasons. I was planning on taking her to Disney the winter before she started kindergarten anyway but now that I have custody of her I’m thinking about taking her in January. She will still be 2 so she is still free. My friends think I’m crazy to so Disney with a 2 year old by myself and it might be a little crazy but is it doable?

Of course it is doable. Hard work but doable. Your niece is the perfect age to unquestioningly ‘believe’ in the characters and you will make amazing memories for yourself.

I have recently become the foster mom to my 2 year old niece. I have had two trips to Disney cancelled until the past year for various reasons. I was planning on taking her to Disney the winter before she started kindergarten anyway but now that I have custody of her I’m thinking about taking her in January. She will still be 2 so she is still free. My friends think I’m crazy to so Disney with a 2 year old by myself and it might be a little crazy but is it doable?

I would recommend SeeYaReelSoon on youtube if you haven't watched them before. They've been vlogging Disney for forever, but they've vlogged their trips with their first kiddo at a very young age and he is now...three? I'm forgetting. But Joe just took a solo parent trip with Lee (kiddo) and I've just always been impressed with how they've built their trips around Lee and his needs.

I took my daughter when she was 2 also. It is a different kind of trip for sure. Make sure that you realize all of the things that make it special for her are not going on right now. Characters and meet and greets were the go to, so now it will be from a far. Take lots of breaks and a trip back to room during the hottest part of the day, naps are crucial !!! It will be rough but for one magical look on their face it's all worth it. Stay safe !!!

You can totally do it! I’m doing Disney right now with 6 kids on my own, my four bio kids and two foster who I plan on adopting. Ages are 17,16,13,10,3 and 1!

She will love every moment! 💚💚💚
As a single mom I took my daughter solo when she was 5. Five days. Park hopper. Open to close! 😅 My one piece of advice is to choose a hotel where you don’t have to fold up your stroller(monorail or walking distance). We stayed at Caribbean and wrangling a sleeping child AND a stroller was a pain. The extra money to be nearby is worth it for midday naps too.

Yes its doable... Been there done that...

Stroller that is easy to open and close with one hand, good park bag, small insulated cooler bag.

I would go with a cross-body or waist pack, so that you have your hands free...

Pair down everything only what you absolutely need to take into the parks...if you are taking a break you can reload the bag...

Start practicing waiting in line...practice going potty in public places multiple toilets flushing bothered my DD at that age..

Practice wearing a mask...

Plan on naps, for both of you...

Use things like bell services, to get to and from the room..

Go slow and enjoy the trip... your going to have a blast... Seeing it through their eyes is really something special...

I've done 9 months and up at Disney. I could totally see a 2 year old even if you are the only adult. The only issue I'd see is masks. My 3 year old isn't great at it and my and my under 3s are terrible at it. I hear some small kids do well but haven't personally seen many so try it and see before going. That said, I love getting the kids in while still free. Sadly we are missing that with my 3rd since I doubt masks will be gone by the time she turns 3. There is truly something magical about the littles at Disney though. I find the under 3 crowd tends to be scared of characters so their being at a distance can be good.

Oh one last thought, make sure you have a plan for long line times that would be our other hold up right now since the park hours and lack of fast pass makes avoiding them difficult.

Totally doable. Even though it may feel counterintuitive to do a sit down meal with a two year old, plan a couple in. The last time I had my two kids at Disney alone it felt sooooo good to be in a sit down restaurant and not be worrying about how to carry a tray, etc. It gives you a little bit of time where someone is taking care of you, when you’ll be so busy taking care of someone else.

No reason why not to do it, my daughter did Disneyland at 6 months and Disneyworld at 1 year, between the ages of 1-3 we went about 12 times spending anywhere from 5 to 10 days at a time.

She's 4 now and we just recently moved to 2 hours away vs a 5 hour flight so it doesn't exactly count now.

Sure Covid makes everything a bit different and it sounds like you'll be on your own but just be okay with the kid dictating the trip and you'll be set.

I went solo with my girls when they were 2 and 3 years old and then 3 & 4, and then a bunch of other trips over the years. They are 13 months apart and I took them lots of places when they were young by myself. How hard do people think kids are? I am not going to say it was not work, but I expected it to be work having kids. I think the problem is that people still want to live like they did before kids and that is not going to happen. Go and have fun.

yes of course there is no problem at all. Managing a child alone will be a little hard, but try to enjoy maximum!

Where do you live?
I think the Most difficult part would be dealing with the airlines.

Give us more info and we would love to help you plan some ideas .
Also the “ dates” to avoid such as marathon weekends , etc!

Also you mention Disney ….does that mean Disneyland or DisneyWorld ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter