My NEW Fold and Go Wheelchair is the best investment that I have ever made. Great at Disney and eve

Well, those really are *really* modified! LOL

I have to say, overall it looks like it's a great system that they are using - I was surprised to see that they didn't keep the electric seats as an option, because that could have been used to lift the driver seat up to a position closer in height to the wheelchair seat - but it could be that they can't do that and have the extra-long travel back and forwards to allow for transfer.

The modifications themselves look nice - they matched the paint well, and although the back end is clearly not a stock hatch back, it isn't ridiculous looking or anything 😉 Plus, it appears that they fully finished the interior space out - one of my big gripes about modded vehicles has been when they have to rip out sections of the interior and then don't match the finish back to something like the original interior.

Based on their pricing, you could probably identify a year model (ie a 2016 Kia Soul) and then add about $10,000 to the MSRP, and it seems like that is what they are selling them for. Not bad, although it seems like they are using low-mileage previously owned vehicles, so I presume if you wanted a new-new car, you might have to buy it from the dealer and then have them modify it?

But the mods look good! In one of the videos he said he's 5'9" and his head almost bumped the roof. I'm *assuming* that the chair he uses has a standard seat height of 20". I know that some people "carry" their height in their legs (they are long legged) and others have longer torsos - so 10 different people who were all the same height standing might be quite different when seated in the same height chair.

Still *really* curious about what they had to move/change to make all that happen in the back end! I guess the "worst" thing might be that you would want to park out away from traffic in parking lots, so that you didn't have to worry about the ramp deploying into a busier area of parking lot (most handicapped parking spots are in fairly traffic-y areas in my experience) but your Fold and Go would zip you right back across the parking lot, so there's no worry there. The Kia Soul is short enough that you could maybe pull all the way into the parking space, and not have too much out of the ramp out in traffic - I'm honestly not sure what the length of a standard parking space is!

The coolest mod I have ever seen in person was a local man had his car modified so that the entire drivers side (doors, windows, everything) lifted up like a gull-wing, and the drivers seat swiveled out so he could transfer. There was a kind of a cage thing that came out from behind the drivers seat (where the B pillar usually would be) that he rolled his chair into, and then that went back up and slid into the car, the drivers seat retracted into the car and swiveled around, and the whole side of the car came back down. No worries about loading in the rain or snow, because the side of the car literally kept you out of the weather (except for wet pavement) Damndest thing I have ever seen in my life. He had it all custom done in California.

Can someone that has a Magshock please post a picture of what underneath of the seat looks like?

no. I need to know how the seat cushion is attached because I like to use my own (and have my heart set on getting a gel cushion.)

Oh - OK! I will see if I can figure out how to take pictures of that.

Is your plan to take the seat to someplace like an automotive upholstery shop, and have it recovered? I know TravelScoot users who have done that for their seats.

I will say that I have been very happy with how comfortable my (factory installed) seat is on the F&G; It really is the most comfortable chair of it's type I have ever sat in.

I will try to get your pix on Sunday and post them as soon as I can - LOL will need hubby's help to turn the chair over!

Oh - OK! I will see if I can figure out how to take pictures of that.

Is your plan to take the seat to someplace like an automotive upholstery shop, and have it recovered? I know TravelScoot users who have done that for their seats.

No. Just get a cushion from Spinlife.

Can someone that has a Magshock please post a picture of what underneath of the seat looks like?

Hope these are the pictures you want 🙂

(close up of the fasteners that hold the seat bottom to the frame)

(edited to add the 3rd picture, sorry)

Question for anyone who has the ORIGINAL HD model, what’s the MAX width that you can get for your own cushion to put on the chair? (I have the arm width extenders installed).

Question for anyone who has the ORIGINAL HD model, what’s the MAX width that you can get for your own cushion to put on the chair? (I have the arm width extenders installed).

Mine is a MagShock so I can’t help with your question but wanted to ask about the gel cushion you mentioned putting on. With a different cushion does the chair fold up as well? As it is it’s a really tight fit to get it folded and into the carrying bag so I was wondering if a different cushion has any extra thickness that would make it even harder.

Mine is a MagShock so I can’t help with your question but wanted to ask about the gel cushion you mentioned putting on. With a different cushion does the chair fold up as well? As it is it’s a really tight fit to get it folded and into the carrying bag so I was wondering if a different cushion has any extra thickness that would make it even harder.

Shouldn’t have any issues with folding. However, by looking at the undercarriage of the Magshock, it seems that only the default cushion that comes with it will work. I really wish they kept the original seat bottom design so that if you wanted/needed to use a different cushion, you could.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t have any issues with foldin. However, by looking at the undercarriage of the Magshock, it seems that only the default cushion that comes with it will work. I really wish they kept the original seat bottom design so that if you wanted/needed to use a different cushion, you could.
I wonder if you could remove the original seat and then replace it with either a thin piece of plywood or metal cut to the same size or a sling seat attached in its place.
Then your gel seat could Velcro to that with wide, supper strong Velcro.

My daughter’s power wheelchair has a metal platform that her seat cushion attaches to. Her manual wheelchairs have a tight sling bolted on that her seat cushion Velcroes to.

Yeah, the original Fold and Go models had a sling type seat bottom which made changing cushions easy. Why they didn’t do that with the new model, I’ll never know.

Yeah, the original Fold and Go models had a sling type seat bottom which made changing cushions easy. Why they didn’t do that with the new model, I’ll never know.

Having spent some considerable time in the Magshock seat now, I am very glad that it is a "real" seat, and not a sling seat. I have had gel cushions that help make sling seats more tolerable, but I don't feel the need for that at all with the Magshock.

Obviously, I don't work for F&G, but my guess would be that the "solid" seat bottom helps with the overall rigidity of the frame; when installed properly it becomes part of the structure, so to speak, and so adds to the stability for such a lightweight device. (Not to mention the user's overall long-term comfort)

I imagine that not unlike the TravelScoot, you could take the Magshock seat bottom to an auto or furniture upholstery shop and have it re-covered with a gel cushion + cover; it shouldn't be a big deal I would think?

Having spent some considerable time in the Magshock seat now, I am very glad that it is a "real" seat, and not a sling seat. I have had gel cushions that help make sling seats more tolerable, but I don't feel the need for that at all with the Magshock.

Obviously, I don't work for F&G, but my guess would be that the "solid" seat bottom helps with the overall rigidity of the frame; when installed properly it becomes part of the structure, so to speak, and so adds to the stability for such a lightweight device. (Not to mention the user's overall long-term comfort)

I imagine that not unlike the TravelScoot, you could take the Magshock seat bottom to an auto or furniture upholstery shop and have it re-covered with a gel cushion + cover; it shouldn't be a big deal I would think?
just to clarify - I’ll add that the ‘sling’ seat in custom manual wheelchairs are not at all like the sling seats in foldable manual wheelchair like you find at Disney World.
They are bolted or fastened on with tension to be very tight and not ‘sling’ or sag. They are quite tight/firm and are designed to have a seat cushion attached to them.
That’s the kind I was thinking of.
28380BC9-3C6C-4756-92E2-853B8BEDD086.png

Last edited:
just to clarify - I’ll add that the ‘sling’ seat in custom manual wheelchairs are not at all like the sling seats in foldable manual wheelchair like you find at Disney World.
They are bolted or fastened on with tension to be very tight and not ‘sling’ or sag. They are quite tight/firm and are designed to have a seat cushion attached to them.
That’s the kind I was thinking of.
View attachment 563474

Yes! I was thinking of the sling seats in most rental-style/OTC chairs - not the ones in custom chairs that are taut, and actually offer support!

The generic rental-style wheelchair sling seat can be *so* uncomfortable after a while for me!

Yes! I was thinking of the sling seats in most rental-style/OTC chairs - not the ones in custom chairs that are taut, and actually offer support!

What are the seats like on custom power chairs? Are they like the ones you find on custom manuals (before you add your own cushion)?

When I MOVE TO FLORIDA in a few years, I’m looking into buying a Quantum (or something equivalent) in addition to my Fold and Go for all day and Disney use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter