• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My NYC Marathon Training Journal! (Comments welcome)

Wishing you have a GREAT race in NY. Have fun and I hope you enjoy every minute of it. :cool1: Can't wait to hear your report. :)

(Halloween party was fun. Our Mouseketeer dressed up as the Small World Clock tower. (His idea) We spent hrs & hrs making the costume but it was worth it.)

Thank you! Oh my god the costume sounds so cute!! Please tell me you took a ton of pics. He must have been a hit at the party.

I'm all packed and ready to go. Now it's just a matter of waiting. At first I was bummed about flying out on Halloween b/c I couldn't decorate the house. Today tough, I'm actually kinda glad b/c today is just dragging on and at least tonight it'll go fast w/ trick or treaters.

Last run was this morning; just a short one, but it was colder than I thought it would be. Tonight and tomorrow are pasta and we have reservations at a steakhouse on Sat night so I can get some chicken and a baked potato and my dad can have a nice steak. Plus drinking lots of water.

I still have no idea what I doing while I'm there outside of the expo or the race. :rotfl2: I just can't think outside of the race right now, but nice thing is that I know there'll be something no matter which part of the city we explore.

I'll try and update over the weekend if I can. If not, I'll see you on Wednesday!!

Oh. My. God.

That was the best race ever! If you are a runner and you like to do races, you have to do this race. It was an amazing experience from start to finish and exceeded any and all expectations I ever had or thought I had about the race.

For the hotel, we stayed at the Bedford Hotel which is about 2 blocks south of Grand Central Station and a few blocks east of Bryant Park. The hotel was a little old and outdated, but it overall was a nice hotel and I’d stay there again. As an added bonus, when we looked out our window, off to the side we were able to see the top tower of the Empire State Building. The room came w/ a little kitchenette too! Not that we used it, but the mini-fridge was nice. It was a short walk to the restaurants I planned out for Fri’s carb loading and Sat’s dinner, and close to all the buses and subways we used to get around over the weekend.

We went straight to the expo on Fri after we got in; it was held at the Javits Center. There was a ton of security and you had to go through bag checks and they checked your driver’s license and waiver before you went in. The line was long, but it moved really fast. After I got through security, we went straight to the booth to pick up my bib and then my dad’s bib for the 5k on Sat. It went so smoothly; no long lines to wait in and everything was in a sealed packet for you ~ bib, instructions, pins and my wrist bracelet b/c I wasn’t doing a bag drop. You also could get a blue ribbon to wear during the race for Boston. After that, I went to get my shirt and bag for me to put stuff in to take w/ me to the starting line. One of the cool things you got in the bag was a magnet that had the race logo on it and it was a long black rectangle like the clocks you see on the race. And what you do is after the race, you peel of the little bars for your time so you have your time and a magnet. It was so original.

After you pick up your bib and shirt, you walk directly into the official merch area and holy cow it was ginormous. It was huge! Everything and anything you could think of, they had it. Gloves, backpacks, running belts, socks, license plate frames. Crazy. What I liked most about it was that they would have a shirt or pullover, and then there were a couple of color options which I thought was genius. The official sponsor for the merch was Asics so there was also a shoe area where you could get not only the race shoes, but other models as well. Once you went to the check out area there were a decent amount of registers and there were 2 for each line. I didn’t have to wait long at all, but I can imagine as the day went on and Sat might have been crazier, but we lucked out. I was conservative there, b/c I knew not only would there be vendors along w/ that stuff, but the finisher’s gear on Mon. So I ended up just getting a shirt, a shot glass and one of those thin headbands that cover your ears.

There were about 100 or so vendors. We wondered around and looked at everything. I picked up a couple more shirts. One of them I totally love I got at the City Sports booth is a long sleeve Mizuno tech gray shirt that has New York City Marathon across the front and then on the back it has numbers 1-26.2 and for some of the numbers it has various icons from the race; like at mile 1 it has a pic of the Verrazano Bridge, for 13 it has ’13 for the year. It’s so cool! :love: Tiffany’s also had a booth so I got to pre-drool a little bit before my trip there on Mon. The one thing I really wanted but didn’t get was a sweaty band. I love those and wear them all the time, but the 2 booths that had them or a version of them, I didn’t see a NY one w/ just NYC Marathon ’13 on it. I probably missed it but a little bummed. I saw 1 that had NYC on it but also freedom and liberty’ a bit too much and there was 1 at another booth that was orange and blue glitter band, but no writing. Maybe I’ll look on the site and they’ll have one. I did see Disney there and the medals for Tink and GSC. Love them!!! All in all, we were at the expo for about 2 hours or so.

Fri night we went to this old school Italian place for dinner and it was sooooo good! I had the gnocchi w/ a Bolognese sauce. It was so delicious and the smell was incredible. :cloud9: My dad had a veal chop, not my thing but he said it was also very good, but he got a little polenta square w/ it; he’s not a fan so I got to eat it. It was crusty and crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside and the seasoning was so good. I was in heaven.

When we were done w/ dinner, we stopped at a market to pick up stuff for the room and the race so I was able to get everything set up then instead of worrying about it on Sat.

Sat morning, my dad got up early so he could walk down to his race. It started at the United Nations building and ran down 42nd Street and then up 6th Ave into the park and they finished at the finish line for Sun, kind of like the 5k at Boston. He really liked it, so I’m glad he signed up for it.

He met me back at the room and got ready and then we headed out for a little bit. I watched a show a few weeks back on Esquire, I think it’s called “The Getaway” and they have a celebrity that goes to a particular city for the weekend and the 1 I saw was in NY and there was a hat shop I wanted my dad to go to. Once again, perfect location, just a block south of the Empire State Building, so we hoped on a bus and it took no more than 10 min to get there.

We hoped back on for 10 or so more blocks to the Nike Running Store near the Flat Iron Building. They weren’t at the expo, but I read on a FB page that they have stuff for the race as well. I fell in love w/ there designs. It don’t know how to describe it, they had 1 big logo for the whole race and then some shirts w/ the Verrazano and some w/ the Empire State Bldg. And when you look at them, and if you’re at all a Disney person, it will remind you of It’s a Small World. I picked up a running shirt and a pullover; see ~ I told you I had to be conservative w/ the official merch! :rotfl2: After that, we walked a few blocks south and east to Joe’s Pizza, I read about it online that it was really good. It’s close to NYU and Union Square. And it was! Pizza is my favorite and it’s up there.

Then it was time to head back to the room for the day for me to get my feet up and some rest before dinner. The one thing that gets me as a West Coaster is the time change and sports. On Sat, we have games starting at 9 they go until 10. So Sat morning I was getting ready and waiting for my dad, there was nothing! Luckily they were starting when I got back to the room.

Dinner was at a really nice steakhouse about ½ a mile away from the hotel so we got dressed up and walked. I was able to get my Sat night standard ~ grilled chicken and a baked potato so I was happy. It was a really nice place; there was barely anyone there, b/c I read most NYers eat late, so there were just a couple of us. I was happy I was able to eat most of my dinner. By then, the nerves had officially kicked in and that was all I could think about.

Once dinner was over, we walked back to the room and I got everything laid out for Sun morning. I went to bed around 9:30; I figured w/ the extra hour b/c of the time change it would be fine. It didn’t make a difference though. I think I ended up sleeping a total of 30 mins. Usually it’s “Yay! Time change an extra hour.” But when you have a race and can’t sleep, it just adds and extra hour of worry and nerves! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Kim, Congrats on running your race !!!!:cool1::thumbsup2:banana::worship::woohoo::

Really enjoying reading all about it. Keep it coming !!!

P.S. Did you hear about the San Jose woman who ran who was 86 ?? What a inspiration. Hope I'm able to run the 1/2's when I'm that old.

Kim, Congrats on running your race !!!!:cool1::thumbsup2:banana::worship::woohoo::

Really enjoying reading all about it. Keep it coming !!!

P.S. Did you hear about the San Jose woman who ran who was 86 ?? What a inspiration. Hope I'm able to run the 1/2's when I'm that old.

Thanks! I did hear about her. We were at the airport when I saw the story on their FB page. It's so sad that she died, but she did it doing what she loved so at the same time, so that's nice. I hope I'll be running at that age too.

Forwarded you the Tink newsletter today too. Only 2 more months! :yay: Have you started training yet? Hope it's going well.

Thanks! I did hear about her. We were at the airport when I saw the story on their FB page. It's so sad that she died, but she did it doing what she loved so at the same time, so that's nice. I hope I'll be running at that age too.

Forwarded you the Tink newsletter today too. Only 2 more months! :yay: Have you started training yet? Hope it's going well.

I've been on the casual side of training. Lots of knee problems after the DL 1/2. But better now. On the plus side most of my Christmas shopping is done. My plan is to seriously start adding more miles and increase my cross training. Sometimes there is just NOT enough hours in a day.

I've been on the casual side of training. Lots of knee problems after the DL 1/2. But better now. On the plus side most of my Christmas shopping is done. My plan is to seriously start adding more miles and increase my cross training. Sometimes there is just NOT enough hours in a day.

Sorry about the knee, hope it heals fast for you. :scared1: You're done w/ X-mas shopping! I haven't even thought about that yet. Although all the commercials that started over the weekend and stuff in the stores is definitely pushing you.

Race Day!!!! After 4 years of waiting and trying to get in, it’s finally here!

I “woke up” at 6am. I use that lightly b/c I didn’t sleep the night before. It was like a musical in the room, b/c I had my phone, watch, ipad and my dad’s phone all going off on the off-chance 1 didn’t go off. I got ready and was on my way about 6:30. The 1 thing I was really worried about was the whole eating thing, b/c my wave wasn’t going off until 11 and running all day I knew I’d need more than a bagel. Someone suggested to me some chicken or turkey, so I picked up a grilled breast at 1 of the markets and had a little bit of that on the way to the subway. It was a little hard to eat w/ my nerves, but I got about ½ of it down and I really do think that helped.

I got to the subway and went down to the bottom of Manhattan to catch the ferry to Staten Island. Once again, lucked out w/ the location ~ 2 blocks to the subway and ½ block to catch the ferry. I signed up for the 7:15 one, but there were so many people that I ended up on the 7:30 one. Those things are huge! And they can carry a ton of people! It was overcast and windy, so I sat inside, but close to a window b/c I heard the views were amazing. And it was so cool ~ we passed by Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, the whole skyline of the city and the Verrazano Bridge. It was beautiful. I am so glad that I opted for that route instead of the buses. If you ever run this race, you have to take the ferry. It’s incredible. Inside the ferry, there were tons of seats for everyone, so I just took in the views and had 1 of my bagels. We got to Staten Island around 8am, and then we had shuttles to take us to the runner’s village/start line. It was so windy when we got outside; a little cold, and overcast. The line for the shuttles was about 15 min and then the shuttles themselves took about 15 min to get over to the village.

When we got off the shuttles, we were immediately wanded down by police. I thought they were going to search our bags as well, but they didn’t. The ironic thing is that on Wed I read on a FB group that they weren’t even going to allow black garbage bags. So Thur morning I went to get some clear vinyl shower curtains to wrap around me to use instead and brought old race bags instead of grocery bags for my feet if it was wet. Turns out ~ the black bags would’ve been fine. But it was 1 of those things where if I brought the black bags, I wouldn’t have been able to use them so it all worked out in the end.

B/c the race is so big; people are separated by color into Blue, Orange and Green. Each color has their own little village area w/ the trucks for bag drop, bagels and water, port-a-potties, etc. As you get into the beginning of the village, there were a ton of port-a-potties so I stopped and the lines were really short; and in my area I didn’t even have to wait in line! I was a Green runner, so my area was underneath on the other side of the bridge. It was so wide open w/ tons of room, you never felt like you were on top of people. There was also a huge screen that would announce when the corrals were opening and closing and when it was time to drop your bags off at the trucks. It was so incredibly organized. My wave didn’t start til 11 and I wanted to get there early so I didn’t feel rushed and it couldn’t have worked out more perfectly. I felt I had plenty of time to relax a tad, stretch out and get ready; I was really happy w/ that part. The 1st pic is before I got into my area and the 2nd is from my area.

I didn’t hear the women go off, but I heard the 1st 2 waves. When each wave starts, they shoot a huge cannon, have a boat shooting up streams of water and play New York, New York by Sinatra and you could see the people running along the edge of the bridge. I started getting ready after the 1st; putting on my KT Tape and getting my running stuff together. About an hour before I was to go off, I took a gu and about 15 min before we walked into the start corrals I ate some Gatorade shots. When the people in the 3rd wave were told they could start lining up for the corals I started taking off my cover-ups. They had a bunch of bins to throw your clothes in and people walking around the village to collect what hadn’t been thrown in them. After that, I went to the other side of the bridge to start getting ready to go in.

About 10:15 we could start lining up and getting into the corral area. Once again, there were tons of port-a-potties lining the walk to the base of the bridge. Like I mentioned above, there are the 3 colors and each represents where you line up. Blue and Orange are on top of the bridge and Green is on the lower level. We all have our separate sides and Green runs a little different course at the beginning and then we merge together in Brooklyn on 4th Ave. W/ the corrals, we lined up by number and then were let inside and could line up to the start how we felt. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many clothes on the side of the road before; it was crazy.

Someone sang God Bless America and there was a countdown and then at 10:55 the cannons went off and it was time to start! It was still overcast which was good and in the low to mid-40s and windy.

The bridge was crazy! The wind blowing through the levels was insane; people’s hats were blowing off. One thing I was grateful for was that I didn’t get peed on. Yes, if you are on the lower level that is something that could happen, especially w/ the wind. It was funny, b/c I had read that b/c the bridge is a suspension bridge and w/ that many people running on it, you may actually feel it moving. I totally get that, but thought, “Ok, I’m from CA and have lived through tons of earthquakes. I won’t feel it moving.” Dead wrong! About ½ way through, I really did feel a little movement. That helped ease my nerves a little bit.

My foot had been really good the previous 2 days and wasn’t hurting at all and I honestly did not walk a lot to preserve my legs and energy, but pretty much from the start, it was killing me and I knew a good run wasn’t going to happen. It kinda feels like there’s a sharp rock that I’m stepping on. I also think part of it is that when I train, I run on the sidewalk, so aside from cracks, I’m always on flat solid ground. When you run in the road, you have little potholes and stuff like that so I think didn’t help much. The upside of it being a bad run was that I was able to take everything and anything in, and I think that was almost better than just running and not enjoying it.

Along the bridge, I tried to look out as much as possible and you could see Manhattan and Brooklyn. 1st up after the bridge is Brooklyn. There were people everywhere! They were along both sides of the street, on overpasses, anywhere you could be they were. I ran through a residential area and they were cheering you on w/ little pompoms, cowbells, horns; they put their stereos out in front to play music. There were people the entire way to 4th Ave; kids were yelling and screaming for you. You felt like a rock star. We were on 4th Ave for a long time and it’s a ginormous road; I think 4 or 5 lanes at least and mostly commercial. But there were people there too! If you had your name on you somewhere (I forgot that :headache:) they were yelling out your name, the color of your outfits, your bib #. Tons and tons of cops out to along the course and they were cheering you on. The water stops were well stocked w/ water and Gatorade; port-a-potties and 1st Aid at each stop. It’s so funny to go from a mid-size race like Disney to a race like that and you see the tables w/ 2 or 3 levels of water stocked up.

We stayed on 4th until just before or just after Mile 8. Then we turned onto Lafayette. That was my favorite part of the course. It was just brownstone after brownstone w/ tons of people on the steps yelling and cheering you on, music playing; it was unforgettable! We were there for awhile and then we ran into the Orthodox or Hasidic Jew part of Brooklyn. It was really quiet there, b/c for them it’s just a work day, but every now and then there would be a group of little kids on their way to/from school and they’d be watching you w/ smiles on their faces.

Shortly after that, we hit the Pulaski Bridge which was the ½ way point. We were now in Queens and it was a little more industrial and quiet, but there were still a few people cheering you on. After a few turns, it was time for the Queensboro/59th Street Bridge. We had gone over that bridge on our way to the hotel on Friday so I kinda knew what to expect, but it just seemed longer going over it. And the uphill is a lot longer than the downhill. I think what I liked about that bridge was that it was so quiet you could just get lost in the race and look out and see all the buildings in Manhattan.

As you come off the bridge, you do almost a 270 back under the bridge to the famous 1st Ave. When you read about the race, they always say that this is where you can lose the race, b/c there are so many people and you get that adrenaline rush you waste a lot of energy running up the Ave. The upside to my bad running was that I was so slow; it wasn’t as crowded as it was earlier in the day, so I was able to maintain and not waste a lot of energy which was good. But there were still a lot of people when I got there yelling, similar to the beginning of Brooklyn and Lafayette. Everyone is cheering for you calling out your number and singling you out. Words just can’t even begin to explain what it’s like. I’ve been on Boylston along the finish for Boston cheering my dad on, and this is what he must feel like.

The downside of 1st Ave is that the wind picked up when I was there. Not only that, it was a strong headwind. Not fun at all. After mile 18, I was done. Part of it was the wall, although I had been fueling well, and part of it was that the wind just took everything out of me. Slowly but surely I made it over another bridge into the Bronx for a short while. Not a lot of people in the Bronx so that part seemed to drag on a bit. After that, another bridge and back into Manhattan and 5th Ave.

I was hoping that the headwind I had going up 1st would turn into a tailwind on 5th since we were going the opposite way, but no. It was mostly a side wind, which is better than a headwind, but still a wind and not fun. I finally hit the edge of the park around Mile 22½ and I was finally starting to feel the temp drop. I had gone off in capris, a short sleeve shirt w/ a pullover and throw away gloves. I never took off the pullover; pulled up the sleeves a couple of times, and thankfully keep my gloves the whole way. When I hit the park though, I was just done; everything hurt from my back to my feet. There were some people lined up along the sidewalks still and cheering me on, which helped tremendously. At Mile 24, we turned slightly in the park and just before 25, I saw the ice-skating rink which was kinda neat. We finally hit Central Park South and turned right to go along the bottom of the park. I ran w/ my belt, so I only took water twice along the course just in case, but the water stops were still stocked and the volunteers were incredible in the park. They were telling us if we wanted something yell it out and they would come out to us so we wouldn’t have to go over to the side; just amazing. Once we got to the other end of the park, we turned back into the park for the last .2 of the race. They have all the different flags from different countries out, stands for people to sit in. It was awesome.

Then I saw that beautiful finish line! I had never been so happy to see something before. There were still tons of volunteers. As soon as you crossed the finish line, you got your medal and mylar. The girl who was handing them out had her back to me and didn’t see me cross so another volunteer ran over and grabbed one from her to put around me. They were asking me if I was okay or needed anything. You walk a little bit further and they gave you a drawstring backpack w/ water, Gatorade, an apple and some nuts. I walked a little bit further and there was the photo stop if you wanted a finisher’s pic w/ your medal and after that were the parkas if you didn’t drop a bag. Those are so nice!! And they were free if you didn’t do a bag drop!! They went down to below your calves and were fleece on the inside and orange almost waterproof on the outside. They also have a hood and Velcro on one side to stay attached.

Once you’re done getting your stuff, you leave the park and then go on your merry little way. The plan was for me to walk about 8 blocks down to Columbus Circle to catch the bus back to the hotel. However, I was walking well and some guy told me I could cut up to Broadway to catch the subway where it was warmer. When I got to Broadway, there was a stop for the bus I was going to take at the corner. There were also taxis! The problem was that it was now about ½ an hour after I crossed the finish and the temps were dropping fast. I started getting cold and shaking so bad. So a wonderful random stranger gave me her scarf and wrapped it around me. I finally got a taxi before the bus came. It was so warm; but it didn’t matter. Hypothermia kicked in. I finally got back to my room and was so happy that my dad came w/ me. He literally laid on top of me for about 20 mins to get me warm again. Everything was shaking ~ my legs, my hands, my lips were chattering. Not a pretty way to end the day, but it was over and I finished that’s all that matters. :yay::banana::yay::banana:

So while I didn’t have a good run, the race was awesome. Words just can’t even begin to explain how great it was. It was so well organized, stops were well stocked, a lot of volunteers and the crowds were unbelievable. And what really got me was that while I was running, people were thanking me for running! Thanking me!! I have to run it again before I die. Hopefully lottery chances increase a little bit w/ the elimination of the guaranteed entry in the next couple of years.

WOW !!! What a great recap of your race experience. Reading it gave me goose bumps. Boy running the streets of Anaheim is going to be so uneventful for you now, not one bridge to cross or various neighborhoods to go through.
Hey Kim....I've got a costume idea for you for Tink :idea:......how about the Statue Of Liberty?? That way you can bring a little bit of NY back to the West Coast. And the color is sort of green so it ties with Tink.

WOW !!! What a great recap of your race experience. Reading it gave me goose bumps. Boy running the streets of Anaheim is going to be so uneventful for you now, not one bridge to cross or various neighborhoods to go through.
Hey Kim....I've got a costume idea for you for Tink :idea:......how about the Statue Of Liberty?? That way you can bring a little bit of NY back to the West Coast. And the color is sort of green so it ties with Tink.

Thanks! I don't think Anaheim will be too bad. Although the DL 1/2 industrial part might be a little bit quieter than NY.:goodvibes Is it wrong that I'm already getting excited about Tink! Well, probably more going to the parks than running. :rotfl2: Love the costume idea. Maybe I could order a crown headband like they sell in NY.

Here is my beautiful and wonderful medal:

:love::lovestruc:love:

I love it! :cloud9:

I've been bad and not really doing anything the past week or weekend. I did get to the gym a couple of times for some really light biking for 30 min or so. But I can really tell I haven't been doing anything, b/c I have so much energy, it's worse than tapering! :rotfl: And the weird thing is that I have been craving nothing than sugar, which is weird and new. I've never had that before.

Tomorrow I head back to the gym to start getting back to normal. Not sure about strength training just yet, maybe next week, but definitely picking back up on the cardio ~ a little harder and fingers crossed for 45-60 min. I'm taking the next couple of weeks off from running, although I did have some pangs this weekend, just going to the gym to keep up the fitness level. But Thanksgiving week I start up again for Tink. Well... actually, I caved and signed up for the LA Marathon in March, so I guess more for that than Tink GSC. :rolleyes1

Thanks! I don't think Anaheim will be too bad. Although the DL 1/2 industrial part might be a little bit quieter than NY.:goodvibes Is it wrong that I'm already getting excited about Tink! Well, probably more going to the parks than running. :rotfl2: Love the costume idea. Maybe I could order a crown headband like they sell in NY.

I'm also excited for Tink.

That's exciting to hear about the LA Marathon. I've heard about it and it really does sound like fun.

I forgot this part ~ on Saturday night, they lit up the Empire State Building w/ blue, orange and white colors for the race, so I got a few pics of that.

Needless to say, after finally warming up Sunday evening, an ice bath was not going to happen. We hung out in the room for the rest of the night. I had a little bit of food, but not much b/c I wasn’t hungry and was almost forcing myself to eat something; that wasn’t good either. I was finally hungry around midnight. (Yes I was still up; I had so much adrenaline still going that night that I couldn’t sleep again.) I was looking online for places to deliver food, but being Sun it was a no go. I was so hungry I was close to going to McDonald’s a few blocks up the street, but I had to go uphill and I wasn’t sure if they were open, so I didn’t go.

I think I finally fell asleep some time after 1:30. It didn’t last long, b/c I woke up at 4:45. So much for getting some much needed rest. :rotfl2: I finally got out of bed around 6:30 and took a bath w/ some Epsom salts. Holy cow! That worked just as well as an ice bath right after. I was actually moveable and could walk/hobble around.

Monday after the race, they put on an event called “Marathon Monday.” There's a tent at the finish line where you can get your medal engraved and buy finishers gear. We headed out just after 8. When we got there, there was already a huge line all the way out to Central Park West. But the nice part was that they were limiting people in the tent so it wasn’t a free for all like it was at DDD. So while the standing in line wasn’t exactly ideal at the time, it made up for it when we got inside and weren’t on top of people fighting for everything. And if the money was flying at the expo on merch, it was flying even faster for the finisher’s gear. The best part was that b/c they were timing people, we didn’t have to wait for the cashiers. I got a sweatshirt and my dad bought me the jacket, so I was a happy little girl. They also had pullovers and running shirts, but it was the same material as the training shirt I got, and for me, it didn’t breathe well so I skipped those. I was glad we left/got there when we did; b/c by the time we left the line was sooooo long.

The next stop, I was waiting for forever and so excited. It was Tiffany’s!!!! :dance3: Slowly we walked over to the store, but I made it. :) That was almost as crowded as the Finisher’s Tent. I knew people would buy stuff there, they had a decent assortment of things to choose, I just wasn’t expecting that many people. I picked up an apple charm that had “ING NYC Marathon” on it; I stole one of my Nike necklaces and combined the race charms so I’d have a blank necklace. My dad had to practically drag me out of the store though, b/c they have all their diamonds on the 1st floor. I love their diamonds; they must have special lights, b/c they are so sparkly in the store. :love: Next door to Tiffany’s was another Niketown, so we stopped in there. They had some finisher’s stuff too! They had this coral shirt that said “We Ran NYC 26.2” so I got that one too. Hey on the bright side ~ I can clean out my t-shirt drawer and update my shirts!

Since we didn’t do a celebratory dinner, we did lunch. We went to Serendipity 3. I would weigh so much if I lived there, b/c they’re famous for a dessert called Frozen Hot-Chocolate; it’s pretty much the only reason I picked that place. It. Is. So. Good! We had some lunch (and dessert) and I was so hungry, but the food was really good.

After that we headed down to Bryant Park. We walked through there on Fri and my dad found some really neat art pieces. It was really cool ~ on Fri they opened up what they called “Winter Village.” They have an ice skating rink and pop-up stores that are there until the beginning of Jan for all the tourists. I really wanted to go ice skating, but I was not in any condition to do that. The art pieces are really cool, they’re really small and the guy drew various icon things and neighborhoods of NYC and added colors; really pretty. But the person went to lunch so we stopped by the hotel to drop off bags and pickup my flip flops and then it was back out for the afternoon and evening.

Off to the next adventure for the day! B/c NY was such a big race for me, I’m planning on getting a specific tattoo for the race. The thing I was worried about was that an artist would have a good design, but that if I needed touch-ups I wouldn’t be able to go back to him/her and one out here wouldn’t be able to match the colors right. But I wanted to get one there so when I saw it, I would remember the race, so I got 13.1 on one foot and 26.2 on the other. That way if they need touch-ups it’ll be easy, b/c it’s just black and they have little scrolls under it and I can get hash marks for future races. B/c I don’t do fulls that often, each hash is for each race and for the ½’s I’m doing one for every 5. It was funny, b/c right after I walked in, another girl walked in to get one for the race too! The guy was really good and the pain wasn’t too bad. My sister has a ton of tattoos everywhere, and said that her feet hurt the most. I was expecting a lot more pain, but it wasn’t that much more than a normal tattoo in my experience. Although, after the race, my feet were probably dead anyways so it was probably a good time to do it. :rotfl: If you’re ever in NYC and want to get a tattoo, it’s called White Rabbit Tattoo. The shop was really clean, everyone was really nice, they did great work and were really fast.

For dinner that night, we went to Lombardi’s. It’s the 1st place in the US to sell pizza! Not in the same location, but they moved the oven when they moved. It was really good; nice char on the crust, the sauce had a good flavor. Yum! Aside from the oven and char, I wish my pizza would turn out that good. Once dinner was over, we headed out to Union Square by NYU to go to a bar called Finnerty’s. It’s a Giants bar!! When baseball isn’t in season, they show Bay Area sports like 9ers and Sharks. I found out about it on the radio during the games; every once in a while it’ll come up and this season, they were in NY for the whole week w/ the Yanks and the Mets and talking about it a bunch. It was a really nice bar. And the bartender was awesome and totally hooked us up. I got a double Fireball and my dad got a double Maker’s Mark and the guy only charged us $14. $14!! We stayed there through the beginning of Monday Night Football, but the exhaustion finally caught up w/ me so we headed back to the hotel for the night. Of course, when I get back to the hotel I got a 2nd wind and was up until about 11.

Tuesday was low-key b/c we were leaving so we did a quick stop in Times Square for my dad. I felt bad for him, b/c he really wanted a Good Morning America sweatshirt but they didn’t have a shop. Or, if they did, we didn’t see it. From there, we walked over to Rockefeller Center. They had the ice skating rink up there too and there were some people skating! We had to wait a few minutes before skating started, but it’s so iconic at this time of year, you kind of have to wait and watch the skaters. After that it was back to Bryant Park for my dad to pick out some of the art.

Then we were done. It was all over and time to head out to the airport. The timing was perfect, b/c my legs were pretty much done at that point too. The good thing about running in NY is that the days after you walk so much; it really did help. The downside is that the subways are underground and that means stairs. While we walked a ton, we also took the subway a lot b/c we were going all over. By the time we got to the airport, I was barely moving. I think part of it was that the ride out to JFK was about an hour so you’re just sitting there and I was bad and didn’t drink a lot of water so my legs were cramping really bad along w/ the tiredness. They got a little better though b/c we ended up getting to the airport really early, we weren’t sure how long security would take, so we got some late lunch and I could drink some water and stretch out a bit.

The flight home wasn’t bad. No delays, which was good, a little bumpy but not too bad. I wore my compression sleeves and that helped, but I should’ve worn my full socks, b/c my feet started to swell a little.

And that was my trip! It’s now officially over and done. The finishing touches were last night ~ I didn’t want to order one of those plaques that you can get w/ the medal and pics, b/c I never like the way I look in them and never order any, but at the same time I did want to do something special for the race and medal. I found this cool pic on pinterest that someone posted where they framed their mylar and bib together so I stole that idea. I cut out part of the mylar and picked up a poster frame at Michael’s and it fit perfectly and I attached my bib. I hung it up last night and my medal is draped over one of the top corners. I love it!

So that’s it! I guess it’s time now to look onto the next race(s). It was 100%, hands down, one of the best experiences of my life so far. If you ever have a chance to run this race, you will not be disappointed. I know it’ll probably be awhile before I get in again, but I will definitely run this race again and I cannot wait.

Thanks for following along w/ me!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter