My trip to BCV or so I thought!!!!!!!

If this were me, even if they gave me a grand villa somewhere else in exchange, I would still be hopping mad. We book at BCV because of the pool for the kids - plain and simple. We like it there and to be switched to anywhere else in any type of accomodation would have been viewed, in my eyes, as a downgrade - regardless of equality of points or room view.

If the issue was a maintainance one and that a room(s) had to be pulled from service, I would think that BCV would have bent over backwards to honor owner reservations first and foremost. Certainly not all check-ins that day were turned away and placed at other resorts?

To have been looking forward to BCV and then, surprise, not get it at the check-in desk is a huge error on the part of DVC/BC. As I said before, I'm surprised that they didn't offer pool privileges or better yet, at least offer a concierge room at YC or BC in order to keep the OP at that resort property. At least they could have offered them a choice...concierge BC/YC or BWV.

OP, I sure hope you document this and write to the head of Member Services.

I totally agree with the replies here. I think they should be compensated for what happened. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

OP...please contact MS and report back to us what happens.

Like JimMIA, I think all of your points used for this trip need to be put back in your account (and be completely bankable). This is very disturbing to all of us to think that our reservations can be changed at the last minute like that.

So sorry to hear about your experience. I know when we book the BCV it is specifically so we can use SAB. I would not have been happy- particularly if I was a member at the BCV.

I don't see where an upgrade to a GV would do anyone who only needed at 2br any good...and to be bumped to BWV standard view is definitely a downgrade (even though it sounds like you had one of the best views at the BWV and it is my home resort). I can see where the loss of the room could happen, but shouldn't they bump a cash guest instead of a member? I mean, you own part of one of those villas!

I definitely would have had to come back at them with a "um, no, that's really not going to work for my family- would you like to make another offer?" But I understand how it could be such a shock that you didn't. Hopefully because of your post, the rest of us will be prepared if this were to happen in the future.

OP I can feel you and your family's disappointment. I wonder what would have happened had they not been able to contact you, would they have called someone else? Me thinks thay may have to avoid any face to face disappointment at check in.

Does this really happen? I can't see how a person with a ten month reservation would be bumped by somebody who woke up and decided to stay another night.

From what I read it was just a possibility that a readr came up with , I guess it could be true but I really doubt it. More likely is a computer hicup or for some reason a room or two went out of service. This happens from time to time air goes out, a major appliance breaks, plumbing etc. This of course is just as much speculation as the guest who wants to stay, but in my opinion more likely. I also feel op should have gotten a little something for your inconvienence, don't know what but something would be nice.

We're scheduled to check into BCV on Jun 1. If they told me that my room wasn't available and they were moving me to BWV, I'd have to ask if I could go to OKW or SSR instead. Just don't like BWV.

Worst thing would be if they tried to call the day before we were due to arrive, we'd already be gone and wouldn't find out until we got there.

If this were me, even if they gave me a grand villa somewhere else in exchange, I would still be hopping mad. We book at BCV because of the pool for the kids - plain and simple. We like it there and to be switched to anywhere else in any type of accomodation would have been viewed, in my eyes, as a downgrade - regardless of equality of points or room view.

If the issue was a maintainance one and that a room(s) had to be pulled from service, I would think that BCV would have bent over backwards to honor owner reservations first and foremost. Certainly not all check-ins that day were turned away and placed at other resorts?

To have been looking forward to BCV and then, surprise, not get it at the check-in desk is a huge error on the part of DVC/BC. As I said before, I'm surprised that they didn't offer pool privileges or better yet, at least offer a concierge room at YC or BC in order to keep the OP at that resort property. At least they could have offered them a choice...concierge BC/YC or BWV.

OP, I sure hope you document this and write to the head of Member Services.

I totally agree here. I bought into BCV specifically because I want to spend
most of my stays there at "home". I would not be happy in October if
the villa I reserved exactly at the 11 month window was "unavailable" and
I had to move to a different resort. You can be sure I'd ask them if they
could put me in Concierge in BC or YC as compensation for the loss of use.

From an earlier post, "WHERE'S THE DISNEY MAGIC?" If they are going to bump you, then they should be prepared to re-establish the "WOW" that is Disney. In this case, it sounds more like they banked on your surprise at the bump and hoped that you'd take whatever they offered.
I hate to say this, but we should all be prepared to respond to less than satisfactory service with, "that's not going to work for me, here's what I expect..." and list exactly what you want. I know it's hard to do, especially when caught off-guard. Maybe if we all start expecting the level of customer service that we were promised in the sales pitch, Disney will start to pay attention again.

Compensation is not the big issue here, even though I posted above that I think you should receive a full refund of all your points for that stay.

The thing that mystifies me, however, is "How could this happen?" We hear all the time that there is a DVC inventory and a CRO inventory. If MS will only book what they have in inventory, how could a previously-reserved room NOT be available?

I can understand getting "walked" in a traditional hotel, or even at a DVC resort on a cash ressie. But on a DVC points ressie? How?

Is it possible that they had an issue with a room or building? flooding? pipe leak? something that would suddenly cause them to take rooms out of inventory?

I think Boardwalk very badly needs some sort of counter service food option. They put one in at Beach Club, now what's the deal?

I think the term downgrade is being used because of the switch to standard view requiring less points. While standard view is a bargain when you plan for it-it is a downgrade when you are being charged the premium points. If they had given Boardwalk or Preferred view it would have been an equal swap.. Barb

The OP says he got the difference in points back. But there's a pretty good argument that says he should have gotten ALL his points back.

The OP says he got the difference in points back. But there's a pretty good argument that says he should have gotten ALL his points back.

Yes, they did refund the difference in points.

I have a call into DVC regarding this. I haven't heard back yet from member satisfaction but I'm sure I will. I will post what comes of it when I do.

I really don't want the points back. I mean I stayed at BWV standard view so I have no problem paying for that stay. What I do have a problem with or want answers about is how I was bumped. My goal is to see that this never happens again to us or any other family.

I'm not hard to please but expect to actually get what was paid for and booked.

Thank you for all of the support.

Mike

Well, you obviously can't get them to guarantee that it will never happen again. If it's because of overbooking, maybe protestation will have an effect. Maybe not. If there was some incident that made the villa uninhabitable, and they had no other corresponding size villa at BCV available, that is not something preventable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter