MYW with dining

nkm

Earning My Ears
I am new here, been lurking for some time. I have planned many a trip for my family, and planning this Disney one is a becoming a pain! It's so confusing. We are trying to decide on whether to add a dining package to our trip, or go without. Any suggestions? We are staying at the Pop Century July 26-August 2. 4 adults, one small child (under 3).

* Is it worthwhile to get the dining package?
* Do all reservations have to be made in advance or can you just pick a restaurant 10 minutes before you want to eat?
* Are all restaurants in all the parks included for the dining plans?

Our travel agent @ CAA was most unhelpful in planning anything Disney, didn't even know the resort names. Please help me!

Any advice you can give with regards to dining, how to make reservations, when to do it etc would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help

nkm

You may want to hook up with Dreams Unlimited travel. We always get great service and information from them. Catherine rocks!

As far as the dining plan, do you eat at sit down, table service meals a lot? If so, it may be worth it. One wayt to be sure is to get a quote with and without the dining plan. Subtract the difference and then ask yourself if your family will spend more or less on food than that amount. If the answer is more, then the DP may be for you!

Hi there.

I'm new to Disney Dining Plan also (will try it for the first time in 3 days), but let me try to answer your questions.

For more info about the dining plan, you can certainly go to:
www.allearsnet.com (has menu and review info)
www.disneyworld.com (will tell you which restaurant you go to)

For us, the DDP enables us to "afford" Disney-quality restaurants which we would never even dream of going if we're not on the plan.

Advanced Dining Reservation is a MUST for most restaurants unless you want to eat dinner at odd hours (9 pm) or try your luck by walking-in. We decided to purchase the DDP about a month before our trip starts, so we were unable to put ADR in some popular restaurants like 1900 Park Fare or O'Hana. So my advice is to make ADR's right now (even when you're not sure whether you'd purchase a DDP or not since you can always cancel them).

Oh yeah, one more thing. We booked our entire package (including airfare) online at www.disneyworld.com. I believe you can always look at your itirenary online as long as you have the reservation number (you may have to register first though).

The WDW travel and dining services can be reached at 1 877 939 3732.

I hope that helps.

The cost of the dinning plan is 37.99 for each adult for each NIGHT you are there. for children under three there is no charge but they get no food.. they can eat off of your plate 3-9 is 10.99 per night as of now. all people in you group (room) have to purchase it. It is worth the $ if you like table service look at the links the OP supplied but at that time of the year you may want to make reservation in advance for some of the more popular places or the ones you really wnat to eat at and then see what is availale on a day to day basis, you can make reservations in mornig as well -hey you may end trying something new and like it :bounce:

1) We found that we saved a good amount of money on the dining plan. If you like to eat all "quick" meals, maybe it's not worth it BUT if you like to eat at least one seated restaurant meal, I'd go for the dining plan.

2) You can take a chance to make reservations while you are there BUT my advice would be to make your ADR's well in advance... Especially at the more popular restaurants. We changed our minds on a couple of places while at WDW and we were able to get one reservation BUT not the other one that we wanted.

3) Most of the restaurants are included on the dining plan as a counter, table, snack BUT if you go onto the official disney site (www.disneyworld.com) to the right of the screen near the top, you'll see "dining finder"...click on it. Then you'll have a listing of restaurants that describe each. If it's on the dining plan, it will say "Disney Dining Plan Restaurant" Click on "Disney Dining Plan Restaurant" Then scroll down to where it says "Dining" Click on "Magic your way Plus Dining" In the first paragraph, you'll see "selected restaurants"...click on it and it will bring you to the full list of every restaurant and what is 1TS, 2TS, counter, snack and if it's not listed, then it's not a part of the Dining Plan and you'll have to pay out of pocket....The phone # you'd call for reservations are 1-407-939-3463. I believe they are open from 7am-10-pm.

Hope you get all of your ADR's

Thanks so much for all your help!! I will definately look into those restaurants this afternoon and get some decisions made. Now it seems so simple, I am embarrased that I had to ask.

One last question. Do you get to select anything from the menus, or is there a seperate menu to chose from for the dining packages??

Nicole

Just got back last Saturday used the dining plan with three kids and dh and i , Well worth it and yes you can pick anything off the menu , you just can't add on.
Kim

I'm not sure what Kim means by "you just can't add on."

We just got back (5/13). The dining plan saved us a fortune over eating the same food without the plan. There was way more food than we needed. Everything listed as an appetizer, entree, or dessert on each menu was available on the plan except where it said an appetizer served 4--we could get that, but only if 4 people on the plan agreed to it. There is no separate menu for the plan.

We could add on any item we wanted--we would have to pay for it, of course. We didn't add an additional food as there was plenty already. Items that would have been extra were things like items off the sushi menu at the Japanese restaurants, alcoholic beverages, "side items" like lobster. Every entree came with something like potatoes, veges, both included on the plan.

Your "under 3" would eat free off her own plate at buffet or family style meals. She would get no food of her own at places where you order off a menu, but would be welcome to share your food (and would get her own plate if you asked.) You could choose to order a child's menu item for her, but you will have more than enough food to share.

Wow! Everyone here is such a wealth of information; this is great.

Now, travelling with an 18 month old, do they have booster seats or highchairs in each (or most) restaurants?? I certainly hope we don't have to lug one to dinner each night.

And lastly, are there any restaurants where young children are not permitted? Adult only restaurants etc?

Nicole

nkm said:
Wow! Everyone here is such a wealth of information; this is great.

Now, travelling with an 18 month old, do they have booster seats or highchairs in each (or most) restaurants?? I certainly hope we don't have to lug one to dinner each night.

And lastly, are there any restaurants where young children are not permitted? Adult only restaurants etc?

Nicole

I think most restaurants, if not all, have booster seats or highchairs. When you make your reservations, just indicate you have an infant with you, and they will note on your reservation that you need a highchair.

Besides Pleasure Island, I don't think there's any restaurant that will prohibit children. After all, it's Disney! :wave:

We're travelling with a 21 month old in less than 3 days!!

nkm said:
One last question. Do you get to select anything from the menus, or is there a seperate menu to chose from for the dining packages??

Nicole
There are very few restaurants that limit you. I believe Teppanyaki (Japan) is one of them. If you do the Fantasmic on the Dining Plan at Mama Melrose you also are limited on a couple of things...I think just appetizer and dessert.

You can't add on Like shimp with your steak or sides extra.
Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter