Navigating WDW Trip with a Rolling Walker

The basket is a good point mine has a wire basket and I decided it would be more of a pain than anything and left it home. I wish it had the soft one that would let the walker be folded with it intact.
Yes, I agree that this is a great point I hadn’t even thought about. Thankfully mine has a soft basket to put things in, but still considering packing everything in another bag that can easily go inside to make things even easier. Thank you for the great tip @jo-jo!

1. We just did this a few weeks ago. We used Mears to and from the airport (old DME buses both ways) and it worked out perfectly fine. I think we did include it on the reservation but we only needed it transported. My 12-year-old was able to get up the stairs with the help of another person, and we sat in the front row. Both our buses had a wheelchair lift into the bus.
2. We used Walker on all forms of Disney Transport this trip. Buses, each driver lowered the ramp and my daughter boarded via the back. Easy Peasy. One night the ramp got struck but the driver had a manual way to flip it down and only took about an extra 2 minutes. On the Skyliner we boarded using the wheelchair line which stops and lets you board that way. On the Friendship boats we just wheeled it on. Only a few inches up or down (less than a sidewalk curb). The monorail was the trickiest. Once we used the ramp but a few other times I picked it up onto the train for my daughter. I would use the ramp if you are solo.
3. Yes. She always got her walker immediately back when we exited. It is a common occurrence, and the CMs all knew what to do. It was never once an issue. I was worried so we had an airtag in it. Sometimes it is exactly where you left it and sometimes they move it to another room for you but each one told us exactly what to expect when we got on.
4. The model we have only kinda folds. It isn't terribly stable when folded. But is is quite compact. I didn't worry about it and we had no issues with the airline or with Mears. We didn't need to fold it at all on any Disney rides. We did fold it to make room on the bus. But we were holding onto it the whole time (my daughter was always seated on the Disney bus). When ours is folded it will stay folded.

We stressed so much before going because this was the first trip she was too old and big for me to rent a stroller to get us through the trip but it was a very easy trip with her being able to use her own equipment.
Thank you so much for this rundown of your experience on your trip with your daughter! Truly appreciate it. So glad to hear it was a good experience for you — my trip is now coming up later this month and I’ve inadvertently started to worry about it more than I probably need to. So, as a young, new-ish mobility aid user, this is all very helpful and heartening to hear 😊 thanks again!

The basket is a good point mine has a wire basket and I decided it would be more of a pain than anything and left it home. I wish it had the soft one that would let the walker be folded with it intact.
I would have spent 47 hours trying to rigged a small bag to the rollator with velcro, duct tape, and twist ties only to have it fall off in the airplane. 🤣

You can get a small soft sided one on Amazon. My mom's under storage's Velcro was becoming an issue last summer. So I ordered a new one that did not have Velcro and it works great. This may be the one we got, but if not, it is very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/CTWWFS-Rolla...04295699&sprefix=rollator+stor,aps,389&sr=8-9

You can get a small soft sided one on Amazon. My mom's under storage's Velcro was becoming an issue last summer. So I ordered a new one that did not have Velcro and it works great. This may be the one we got, but if not, it is very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/CTWWFS-Rollator-Storage-Medical-Seniors/dp/B0B1LZXD6H/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2UIMY8ECAJYLA&keywords=rollator+storage+bag&qid=1704295699&sprefix=rollator+stor,aps,389&sr=8-9
I forgot that and we ordered that exact one. It's a great bag, but I hated it for the car. It's has a firmer bottom and it would always catch trying to open rollator. But for home ,it's great.

In our house we have four rollators and one walker. One lives in car, one lives in garage, one downstairs, one (with bigger wheels and a wider base ) lives on back porch for walking on grass and checking tomato plants, and the walker lives upstairs. I got tired have having to move a rollator from here to there every time we went out or DH went up or down stairs. Oops I forgot and we have a rollator with a broken wheel, that I saved for spare parts. We have three of the exact same model.

I forgot that and we ordered that exact one. It's a great bag, but I hated it for the car. It's has a firmer bottom and it would always catch trying to open rollator. But for home ,it's great.

In our house we have four rollators and one walker. One lives in car, one lives in garage, one downstairs, one (with bigger wheels and a wider base ) lives on back porch for walking on grass and checking tomato plants, and the walker lives upstairs. I got tired have having to move a rollator from here to there every time we went out or DH went up or down stairs. Oops I forgot and we have a rollator with a broken wheel, that I saved for spare parts. We have three of the exact same model.

That's actually very smart!

Hi everyone! Now that my trip has come and gone, I wanted to update this post with what worked for me based on all the great advice shared in this thread. Hope it helps make someone else’s WDW trip magical!
(And, a friendly FYI that I am not affiliated with any products mentioned - just sharing my experience of how they helped me 😊)

Securing my rollator closed: similar to the suggested roll of Velcro OneWrap, I found multicoloured Velcro One-Wrap ties that I used to secure my rollator while in transit throughout my trip. Worked great for Mears, Disney transport and even the plane ride. Plus, they were very affordable: six strips cost me a grand total of $6 CAD.

Hand grips: loved the pool noodle idea, but they're not exactly easy to find in Canada in the middle of winter 😉 Plus, pool noodles can also be an auditory/sensory issue for me. Instead, I opted to to use a DIY technique for padding cycling handlebars (lots of videos on YouTube). Repurposed some pre-used packing material (opted for some Amazon envelope bubble wrap) and secured it with black gaffer tape. And voila!

I also considered using handle bar tape or baseball bat/tennis racked grip tape, but gaffer tape seemed to be the best choice because it won't leave a sticky residue if I want to take it off. Although it was slightly more expensive than other brands, I decided to go with Pro Tapes gaffer tape -- a brand used in the entertainment industry -- to ensure its quality and durability, and I was not disappointed!

Auditory sensitivities: I looked into Loop earplugs but they seemed very similar to my musician's earplugs that I've carried for years, so instead I opted to try Flare Calmer Night. NOTE: these are NOT earplugs. They are an alternative that is designed to make annoying/triggering sounds more manageable without blocking sound. This is exactly what I was looking for and found they worked better than I expected. They noticeably dampened sounds, yet I could still easily participate in conversations and day-to-day interactions. I even wore them on a few of rides (accidentally at first, then deliberately) and did not have them fall out once.

Wheel size: I opted to take my rollator with 6-inch wheels, and it was generally better than I expected. Places with stone paths versus smoothly paved walkways were a pain at times (there was one area around a fountain at the resort where I would walk the long every time just to avoid the bumpiness). But overall, even the places that were a little annoying were still doable. For me, the pros of bringing this rollator (versus my other model) were greater than the cons (more on that below), but ultimately if I had a version that was a combination of the two, that would have been best.

Baskets and bags: I ultimately decided to take my traditional Carex Step 'N Rest rollator versus my European-style one because it allowed for better, more accessible storage during my days at the parks. I would wear my jacket and/or sweater on the bus each morning and leave the fabric basket under the rollator seat empty so I could put it in there later when it got too warm out. That meant no need for a locker and nothing to take out while folding the rollator on the bus to the parks. But, because of the type of backrest it has, it meant I could also easily secure a smaller stroller bag with velcro clips to the front -- mine had two cupholders for my water bottle and coffee, and the middle section was great for carrying things like park maps, souvenirs, snacks, etc. And it only cost me $6 at from a children's secondhand store (this isn't it, but it's the closest I could find online to illustrate what I'm describing) Might be the best investment I made prior to my trip!

I also fastened one of the Velcro ties (from above) onto the one of the handles and hung a small carabiner clip from it to use as a hook for my little backpack purse when I didn't want to wear it as a backpack (or couldn't because of pain). A very impromptu idea, but it also worked great!

And, I think that's it! Really hope these tips and tricks help others travelling with mobility aids, and thanks again to everyone who shared their ideas and insight leading up to my trip. Appreciate it tons! If you're travelling with a rollator and have questions about any of the above (or even other things I haven't mentioned), feel free to ask and I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability 😊 happy travels, friends!

Maybe Becca43 started a trend-on my trip to WDW a few weeks ago, I noticed a big increase in the number of people using rollators.

Maybe Becca43 started a trend-on my trip to WDW a few weeks ago, I noticed a big increase in the number of people using rollators.

I have noticed a lot more folks using them recently. Honestly, had I known how helpful they can be, I would have used one for years (if someone could have convinced me to... I was a stubborn old mule! 😂)

Becca & others thanks for the review and update. I've played with the idea of bringing a rollator for my trips and so far have not and have regretted it. Thinking life & our trips would be easier but haven't taken the leap yet. How did you decide to make this move. I have one that is a household hand me down but with age and health issues might be a good idea.

Becca & others thanks for the review and update. I've played with the idea of bringing a rollator for my trips and so far have not and have regretted it. Thinking life & our trips would be easier but haven't taken the leap yet. How did you decide to make this move. I have one that is a household hand me down but with age and health issues might be a good idea.
All of my previous trips were done without mobility aids, so I was hesitant too at first -- especially because I'm younger than you would expect someone with a rolling walker to be due to chronic illness, and I was a little afraid of what people might say or think. Reframing my rollator as a tool that would help me maintain my independence so I could go on a really fun, epic solo trip (versus viewing it as a sign of weakness or disability) really made the biggest difference for me, I think.

I will say that, for me, it was very worthwhile! Made a huge difference for my symptoms and energy levels, and I found the Disney parks and resorts to be more accessible/accommodating than a lot places I've taken my rollator in "real life". (And, if anyone had any unkind opinions of me using a rollator, they were thoughtful enough to keep them to themselves 😉😂)

You could always bring yours with you and if you decide you don't want to use it, you could leave it at your hotel? In day-to-day life, I try to bring mine with me whenever I think I might need it, but I also let myself off the hook if I get to my destination and don't feel up to using it (because of anxiety or not having the energy to deal with it, etc.) and end up leaving it in the car from time to time. As someone who is still relatively new to using mobility aids, I find that's been very helpful for me -- to give myself the option whenever I can but also not put a ton of pressure on myself as I learn to incorporate different aids into my life.

Not sure if any of that helps, but regardless of what you choose, I hope you have a fantastic trip! 🎉

All of my previous trips were done without mobility aids, so I was hesitant too at first -- especially because I'm younger than you would expect someone with a rolling walker to be due to chronic illness, and I was a little afraid of what people might say or think. Reframing my rollator as a tool that would help me maintain my independence so I could go on a really fun, epic solo trip (versus viewing it as a sign of weakness or disability) really made the biggest difference for me, I think.

I will say that, for me, it was very worthwhile! Made a huge difference for my symptoms and energy levels, and I found the Disney parks and resorts to be more accessible/accommodating than a lot places I've taken my rollator in "real life". (And, if anyone had any unkind opinions of me using a rollator, they were thoughtful enough to keep them to themselves 😉😂)

You could always bring yours with you and if you decide you don't want to use it, you could leave it at your hotel? In day-to-day life, I try to bring mine with me whenever I think I might need it, but I also let myself off the hook if I get to my destination and don't feel up to using it (because of anxiety or not having the energy to deal with it, etc.) and end up leaving it in the car from time to time. As someone who is still relatively new to using mobility aids, I find that's been very helpful for me -- to give myself the option whenever I can but also not put a ton of pressure on myself as I learn to incorporate different aids into my life.

Not sure if any of that helps, but regardless of what you choose, I hope you have a fantastic trip! 🎉

All of this - and one last suggestion:

Bring the rollator, and *if* you decide you need the extra "boost" from a rental ECV while you are in the Parks, you can ask the friendly Cast Members at the rental counter to please store your personal rollator so you can use the ECV.

Then, when you are ready to leave the Park, you will still have your rollator to get to your bus, boat, monorail or car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter